New SG - Monarch, Standard Settings, Continents, Large Map

butlerj1982

Chieftain
Hi, this will be my first succession game. I have read many with rapt interest. Over the last year or so, I've climbed from winning consistently on Noble, to Prince, but I'm having trouble on Monarch. I've won once out of six or seven tries. So, I thought this might be a good chance to play my first SG and pick up some tips.

By the way, I'm not sure what all those codes like "AA93AB" are at the start of the game topics, so I'm sorry if I was supposed to post something - do those represent the settings?

Anyway, six spots seems usual:

1. Me
2. gigi_muschi
3. Ralph_Jackson
4. dazedroyalty
5. scrubkai
6. tycoonist

The usual 24/48, and no huge moves w/o checking in. Its the latest version of BtS. 20 turns BC / 10 AD.

Join up if it seems interesting. I look forward to playing with y'all.

Best,

John Butler
New Orleans, La

John,

The code usually just refers to a series of games, so if you enjoy running games your next one could be JB 2 for example.

If you want an experienced Emperor+ player to help people "manage" Monarch (where I started in SG's) I would be very willing to sign up.

I would probably prefer to play with the BUG mod as it doesn't alter game play but is great for learning style games but you as the Leader should decide if that's OK as it can make the in game log unaccessible to others.

Ralph

Glad to have you!

I'm not familiar with the BUG mod. If others in the game want to use it, its fine with me, I'll go ahead and install it.

How many turns will we play each time? On another Succession Game i am in we play 20 turns BC and we will play 10 AD. Or just play until something major comes, like discovering a new tech, declaring war or peace, etc.

I would like to join if you all will have me.

In the interest of full disclosure:
I have to warn you, I might be a drag on the team. I'm still trying to consistently win my single player games at Noble level. So I would be looking at this game as a major learning opportunity.

Great. dazedroyalty and scrubkai are in. scrubkai, don't worry about it, we're all here to join.

20 BC, 10 AD sounds about right.

One more needed.

Best,

John Butler

i am a bit more experienced than you guys but i quite fancy a large SG, so sign me up (unless you get someone who is still struggling at monarch)

oh and welcome to CFC scrubkai

tycoonist is in. I'll roll the map and post tonight when I get back from the office (round 6:30 or so, CST).

Do we want to use the BUG mod?

I will not be using BUG, but if others want to, Ruff says that the Log crash has been fixed, so I am fine with it.

i am a bit more experienced than you guys but i quite fancy a large SG, so sign me up (unless you get someone who is still struggling at monarch)

oh and welcome to CFC scrubkai

Thanks,

I've lurked here a long time, but finally had time to join in the madness.

As for being more experienced....
From my point of view "more experienced = me learning faster ":D

I guess we'll leave it off for now since people arn't used to using it / don't have it installed. Initial roll and screenshot coming in about an hour and 15.

Looking forward to it!

Ok, our start, first roll:

We are Augustus Ceasar of the Romans.

screenshot link: http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=civ4screenshot0001ej7.jpg

I'm not really sure why I can't get it to show up in the message body.... too big?

Thoughts:

Move warrior either 1N or 1NW, then most likely settle in place. Three food resources will be nice with all those hills and good synergy with the Roman's starting with both fishing and mining. Next turn pop the hut.

Slavery is not as important with the -50% settler cost I suppose, but I still see Bronze Working as the first research. We do have cows, but AH seems a little far to forego bronze. Although with Praetorians, we probably are going to want to find iron before too long.

work boat>worker>boat while putting chops to settler?

With three worked fish / clams, the whip will be nice to get out our third settler, maybe when we get in IW so we can claim it.

Research: Bronze Working first I think, then the wheel if we can't find a worker tech we need more after exploring.

With those hills / food, an early war with praetorians is almost certain.

Thoughts?

With what looks like tundra to the south and west, I would agree with both settling in place and moving the warrior generally north... All things being equal I'd say we move NW as it will reveal more of the map.

Given that we will probably have tons of food, BW for whipping sounds like the right first tech.

Also the inital build order of Boat>Worker sounds right but I'm not sure about the second boat. Might we want a warrior instead?

That hill right next to us is strangely clear, which makes me guess there's a resource there. Wouldn't it be lucky if we had Iron right next to us?

Lurker:

I'm not really sure why I can't get it to show up in the message body.... too big?

You need to add in Image (IMG) tags, like this (remove the spaces):

Code:
[I M G]http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/997/civ4screenshot0001ej7.jpg[/I M G]

After you do so:

Edit: And use the "direct" link provided by Imageshack, like above

I concur with moving warrior NW and settling in place unless something unexpected is revealed. Iron in our BFC is probably a little optimistic but I would be happy to be proved wrong!

Looking forward to some :hammer: with Praetorians!

Romans :cool: . Haven't played them for quite some time. I think first tech should be Bronze Working and explore a bit the land. If we find a nearby neighbor maybe go Iron Working next and :hammer: him with some Praetorians.

Work Boat -> Worker seems like a logic build order. Then maybe build a second Work Boat or Warrior and chop another Worker and a Settler with which we will grab Iron if we have luck and spot some nearby.

Edit: Some typos.

Top Bottom