Nif Viewer Glitch....HELP!!!

my nif viewer aka SceneViewer.exe wont open up or even run without immediately crashing with this error:

"Renderer Creation Failed. Please Restart the Application."

And when i restart it, forever shows this. this is right after i had a bad crash with nif viewer.

no matter what i do, delete it or mfc71.dll or reinstall, it still does this. can someone help

looking at you Rabbit, While C.Roland and other graphics gurus!!

:worship:

This usually happen to me when i try to open NifViewer while max, scope and the game are already running... I guess it will fail to allocate video memory or somethng like that. I am sure its a dumb question, but anyway - you did try to restart the computer ?

Also this might be a good occasion to switch to nifscope - i use it for everything but previews now. It has all the possibilities of the NifViewer and more, is much more stable and has better interface.

i agree and i wish there were some better tuts for nifskope basics.

update: after leaving this one alone all day, i figured it out and reinstalled my video drivers. that fixed it, musta corrupted a dll or somethin

Hmmm... i made a series of NifScope-Tutorial pictures recently for a friend... Unfortunately in german... I will look if i can translate those.

my nif viewer aka SceneViewer.exe wont open up or even run without immediately crashing with this error:

"Renderer Creation Failed. Please Restart the Application."

And when i restart it, forever shows this. this is right after i had a bad crash with nif viewer.

no matter what i do, delete it or mfc71.dll or reinstall, it still does this. can someone help

looking at you Rabbit, While C.Roland and other graphics gurus!!

:worship:

I know that ATI card have some problems with the viewer. When I switched my Nvidia for an ATI, I had the same problem and even the lastest driver didn't solve the problem. I learned Nifskope and it is really better. Like Refar said, you should switch to nifskope. It's really simple and it has a lot of possibilities that viewer don't have. You can preview animation directly in Nifskope (thanks god for this when you've played with the rigging, and it nice to take cool screen shot of your units in action), you can modify a bit the UV (nothing really strong as a UV editor, but can fix some minor glitch), it is like Refar said, more stable (the viewer crashed often for me), etc.

My pictures are of no real use - they cover only some specific situations. And it's full of german script, since i wrote the instructions directly on the picture.... I put a proper NifScope tutorial on my to-do list.
(You are a modder as well, i am sure you know, how our to do lists look like :mischief:)

In the meantime...

There are already some good tutorials on NifScope.
Might be not enought for a Model-Rookie, but i think for someone who already knows what he's doing and only need to be pointed to where the right tools are, is should be good...

General Notes:
1) Many (if not all) useful functions in NifScope can be accessed from right Click Context Menu - just right click on a object to see what possibilites you have.
You can for example bring up the dialog for moving a object by RightClick->Transform->Edit
2) Almost everything is editable - you can doublecklick on any Values/References in the Block Detail window to bring up a input, where you can enter new data - like for example texture references.

There are 2 Tutorials from C.Roland that introduce what i concider to be the principal technique (applied to LH's and Units). You can do a lot of things, by just changing references, like it is done in this "mesh-switch". You can re-reference - as shown in the Tut - entire meshes, textures, properties, extra effects and even animation controllers and skin instances this way (Tho touching the later will usually cause a mess).
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=217699
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=183742
Note: You can also paste objects directly where you want them to be - say attaching a extra prop tp a bone - right click the Block where you want your Object attached, and use Paste Branch there, to directly attach the new thingie to where you want it to be.

Dutchking shows how to edit the UV map
Note: On some units nifsope will refuse to open up the UV Editor. This is because - depending on shaders - some units do not have a Base map. You can attach a base map, open the UV Editor, then remove the Base map once you are done. (The Base map is also the one you actually see in the UV Editor.)

The Coyote shows how to make minor adjustments to animations

sweet!!! i never knew all the things nifskope did. i feel like i have been limiting myself all of a sudden!! :D

@C.roland
yeah, well aparently the nvidia drivers can go corrupt from some of the horrid crashes in nifviewer

@Refar
thanks for the links i went ahead and bookmarked them.
here is the unit i made

hey C.Roland

i used your leaderhead tutorial to create this unit: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6900609
but the unit doesnt show up in the civilopaedia, but shows up in-game. why wouldn't it show up in the pedia? (and the unit kinda seems laggy in-game)

Does your object use specularity ? Normaly, you should turn off the specularity of your model before the export, it causes some lags in game.

i used the fx model of the cyborg to make him. is that right to do?

also where do i turn off specularity in blender

It shouldn't have specularity if you started from a Firaxis model,but specularity in blender is in the material tab, there is a slider named specularity.

i will have to check this out.

was i right to use always the FX version of the models for the edit/export?

It doesn't matter because your blender export will remove all the shaders. At the end, in both case you'll have a noshaders version.

Top Bottom