2K Games Reveals Plans for Colonization Remake

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
According to 2K Games' latest press release, the company plans to remake the game of Colonization. Designed by Firaxis Games, this Colonization recreation will be titled Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization, utilizing the Civ4 engine while not requiring any of the previous expansions, Warlords or Beyond the Sword, or even the "original Civilization IV product" in order to run. With the game already in development at Firaxis, 2K Games plans to release it sometime in the fall of this year.

Sid Meier's Colonization, first published in 1994 by Micropose, focuses on European exploration into the Americas with emphasis on war and diplomacy, two themes common in the Civilization series. Sid Meier stated his hopes for the potential of this new Colonization game in the release, saying:
"We've received many requests from fans over the years to bring back Colonization and now seemed to be the perfect time to do that," said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. "The Civilization IV engine provided a fantastic foundation for a new Colonization experience and allowed us to create something great for both new players and long time fans of the game."

>> Read the 2K Games press release

Awsome - expansion for civ :)

Great :) another civ 4 expansion!

I haven't played of heard of colonization before, anyone care to explain whats special about the game or different?

Why has Firaxis abandoned us console players?!? We've been loyal customers for ... months now.

Wha-wha-wha! :cry:

:backstab: already!

:sarcasm:

:D

Now, I shall predict Firaxis's next project....

Civilization: Alpha Centauri

Ta-da!

[seriously]This is awesome news![/seriously]

Great :) another civ 4 expansion!

I haven't played of heard of colonization before, anyone care to explain whats special about the game or different?

The first one was a wonderful game. Very different from Civ in many ways, but even more fun in my opinion. There were many design features that really worked well. It had some annoying weaknesses in the AI, but the game itself was very solid.

One thing that was great was that in the beginning of the game you were focused mainly on survival and commerce, and gradually the focus turned to convincing your population to think about independance from the mother country. When you felt you had enough support, you declared independance, and from there on it was a whole different game as you fight off a massive invasion to put down your independance movement!

I know no one can know this for sure, but can anyone who played the original tell me is it likely

that other natons than the 4 playables will be in the game?

what year the game will play until (does this got to the modern era?)

Is this strictly a Europe/north America game, or does other continents come into it in any way?

Is this basically a very large mod for civ 4, or is it an entirely distinct game (I'm not putting it down in advance or anything, just never played the original)?

This is even better news than the dutch 3-0 victory over Italia! Col.exe is my favorite game ever! And believe me, beating Italy 3-0 is very, very good!

This absolutely restores my faith in the game manufacturers!

I thought we would end the year without anything new (sorry civrevolution fanatics) for the 'thinking' player! It may be a rehash - but soooo much has changed it will be new.

Some of the further screenshots are quite interesting also... i.e.:
"Monte in Space"
the return of "Global Warming"
the size of the world/cities in "Giant Earth 4.1 BS"
the numbers represented in "Best Start Ever"???
and others... new fort walls, new unhappy worker graphics, etc, etc.

Good Job Firaxis!!!!

Too bad I never heard back on my application to be a beta tester... ::(:

Great! I thought it will never come again... But in civ4 engine, I hope it will be very very very much improved than original colonization.

And again Portugal is out of Colonization.

I love Sid's games, but can't anyone teach him the importance of Portugal in Discoveries and Colonization of America? :p

well, at least france is in the game,
yay

I have been a fan of Colonization since the original was released in 1994. I spent countless hours playing it and when Windows dominated the PC gaming scene, I purchased the Windows 95 version of the game. That is the version I currently have installed on the computer I am using now and which I still play.

So to say that I am excited about the upcoming release of this new incarnation of Colonization would be a vast understatement. :thanx:

The first one was a wonderful game. Very different from Civ in many ways, but even more fun in my opinion. There were many design features that really worked well. It had some annoying weaknesses in the AI, but the game itself was very solid.

One thing that was great was that in the beginning of the game you were focused mainly on survival and commerce, and gradually the focus turned to convincing your population to think about independance from the mother country. When you felt you had enough support, you declared independance, and from there on it was a whole different game as you fight off a massive invasion to put down your independance movement!

That actually sounds pretty awesome. I've never played Colonization before, but I'm excited to give the new one a shot.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Awesome news! And a little eerie for me as I tried to install Colonization for Windows on my Vista notebook last night and it wouldn't even install. :(
But now I can play Colonization again anyway!!!

Have you tried DOSBox? The site says it works with Vista, which I have not tried it before.

Otherwise you can check out Freecol.

Btw, does anyone knows how to get Colonization (the original) playing sound & music in Ubuntu 8.04's DOSBox?

Very interesting. I've always been attracted to the colonization era...

Top Bottom