G-Major 29

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Deity
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Normal
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.002, 2.13.002 or 3.13.001
  • Date: 10th June to 10th July 2008
Must not play as Inca.

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Jesusin to win ;)

Or WastinTime? Place your bets, gentlemen and ladies :)
I'm subscribing to this thread in the hope I can learn enough to be able to replace my ultra-cheesy deity HOF entry (well, it did allow me to be a QM :blush:).

Well...I have already lost once.

I played as the Chinese. I set up the world as a Hemispheres map with three continents and had one landmass to myself. There was gold and silver in by BFC and my second city had gold and floodplains. I beelined for Music. I was able to build the Parthenon and the Great Library. I missed the Sistine Chapel by one turn :mad:. I built five or six cities to fill up my continent. I had four religions spread to me and built Cathedrials for all four in the city with the least culture. The AIs never declared war on me, and two of them actually gifted me several techs over the years because I was so pathetic. Hyman Cupac won a Cultural Victory in 1850.

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Dieity is above my level, but I am tenacious and have a lot of free time to play for the next month. I only have to win one time ;)

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Deity is above my level, but I am tenacious and have a lot of free time to play for the next month. I only have to win one time ;)

EDIT: BTS and vanilla timelines are the same at normal speed. It's only quick speed where vanilla had the advantage.

Remember, less is more. Research only what you need to get to Liberalism (for free speech) and build only enough cities to get cathedrals built. That's 6 at most on a small map. Four cities is also enough if you use Great Artists. Get 10 - 15 Great Artists and avoid all other great people. You will win eventually.

Jesusin or WastinTime to win, I meant to say ;)

Mesix, I would give the Great Library a miss myself. Not that I will be able to win... Sistine seems alot more important to me.

Parthenon and SoZ (BtS) are pretty good too for culture.

WastinTime surely you want to tech to Nationalism as well after lib (or are you assuming we will win the lib race) for Hermitage.

I've not played BtS deity but if they tech slower that has to be good no?

Oh, make sure to turn barbs and goody huts off... AI nabs all the huts.

Inland sea is probably best for this? Liz, Gandhi or vanilla Saladin or Qin?

This game is not hard at all, the only tough thing is to get a fast finish

Here are my 2 cents:

I would suggest big maps...like lakes, oasis, great plains, so you have at least 5 cities (so you can build those small wonders.) Also, dont build any wonders (unless you need some quick cash or very good/lucky because there are at least 4 competing ai). Pick peaceful ai that dont go culture (plenty to choose from BTS; ai such as Gandhi and Hatty really likes to go cultural in my games), and start planning early.

I had never won liberalism/oracle races at deity, so I dont have a benchmark for those. I got close in my last game when Lincoln beat me to it about 10 turns...probably could have organized my tech priority...

The main obstacle I faced was health in the end....although I have about 5 health resources and traded 3 others and aqueducts in my cities. Also, make sure you select choose religion, it often makes building cathedral much faster.

Wow! This might be a tourney to attend!

Anyone got a list of resource multipliers by Cathedral type?

Copper - Buddhism, Confu, Tao
Marble - Hindu, Islam
Stone - Christianity, Judaism

This makes BtS "select religion" feature a bit cheesy - is it allowed in HOF?

Yes it is.

Never tried it but of course I will for this...

Deleted.

Posted in wrong thread.

Jesusin or WastinTime to win, I meant to say ;)
Oh, make sure to turn barbs and goody huts off... AI nabs all the huts.

Oh, thank you for the confidence.
I am in bad shape and RL is taking its toll on me. I'll try to play one game, though.

You shouldn't forget Lexad's Quechuas, FiveAces shrewdness and killercane acuteness either. Probably someone else can come and surprise us all, too.

If you want to follow the "lean on them" strategy I advocate, you shouldn't play with GH off. You want the AI to be as advanced as possible. I don't think you can have Liberalism in the BC with Prince AI, but you do with Deity AI. Help them as much as you can!

Quechua's are banned though!

Rats!

Well, they aren't that good at Normal speed. However, this also means more culture comes from religions [than on Quick] as we've learned in BOTM-4 Gauntlet - therefore prioritizing an early religion is very important.

Who do you think would be added to the roster once Philo trait s down the drain, and the early landgrab (and religion-grab) is an opportunity? Pericles? Rammeses?

How about Isabela?

Top Bottom