"third game of the Civilization IV franchise"

kazapp

Emperor
(still no new forum for the new Col game, so I'm posting here. Mods: Feel free to move to a more appropriate location. thanks)

I was alerted by the Wikipedia entry for the upcoming game that Firaxis is billing the game as the "third game of the Civilization IV franchise".

The third game? What's up with that? :confused:

(still no new forum for the new Col game, so I'm posting here. Mods: Feel free to move to a more appropriate location. thanks)

I was alerted by the Wikipedia entry for the upcoming game that Firaxis is billing the game as the "third game of the Civilization IV franchise".

The third game? What's up with that? :confused:

I was thinking about the same. Maybe they didn't count vanilla (which of course should have been counted).

I was thinking about the same. Maybe they didn't count vanilla (which of course should have been counted).

Why do people feel the need to quote the entire first post when replying to it in the second post? This happens all the time so there must be some reason for it. :confused::confused::confused:

Why do people feel the need to quote the entire first post when replying to it in the second post? This happens all the time so there must be some reason for it. :confused::confused::confused:

Because there's a change someone might be faster to reply so your reply might end being 2nd, 3rd, 4rd...

I read that it was supposed to be considered a standalone expansion to Civ 4. I sort of mused that it would be like the Guild Wars expansions, but that doesn't seem right.

Having been an avid civ player but having never played colonization, I think I'm going to start. All the things I've read sound awesome.

it is really the 2nd game. Warlords and Byond the sword were expansions. Colonization uses the same engine, but is a different game.

They really shouldn't refer to it as any game "within the Civ 4 franchise". As XMen has stated, it's a standalone game. It's simply had the Civ 4 brandname added to it for publicity purposes and to alert folks to the fact that it's been modelled on Civ4's architecture.

The trouble with Wikipedia is that anyone can edit it. Take your gaming info from that site like you take anything from that site.... with a big grain of salt.

I could go there right now, and completely anonymously make an edit so that the article states that the upcoming Colonization game features a new "Pink Tutu Monkey" unit which can be used to fling copious amounts of faeces at the Spanish, regardless of whether the player is playing the Spanish or not. Doesn't make that information in the least bit accurate does it?

Most good game dev company websites have press release areas. If you hear something about an upcoming game, go straight to the horse's mouth to verify it if you're in doubt...

That may be true about the wiki on some things. But the information regarding the new Civ 4: Colonization release is backed up with cross refrences to to Firaxis site and such type entries are verfiable. It's not just a matter of Civ 4 being added for marketing purposes. If it was truly a stand alone game, it would not be titled "Civilization IV: Colonization". It would be more like "Sid Meier's Colonization 2". His name is quite enough in and of itself to promote a title. I believe it's just a glorified expansion pack to civ 4. I'm not saying it going to be a bad issue, but it will probably have a very Civ 4 feel to it.

And your
pink tutu monkey would be edited out by someone, probably by the one who posted verifiable information. :)

http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=21#

Personally I think it would be better if Colonization would have it's own engine, otherwise it looks like a civ 4 mod.

Also; they probably meant the 3rd in the franchise as CIV, BTS (Civ 4.5) and then Colonization.

Personally I think it would be better if Colonization would have it's own engine, otherwise it looks like a civ 4 mod.

Also; they probably meant the 3rd in the franchise as CIV, BTS (Civ 4.5) and then Colonization.
They obviously don't think a new engine is necessary, since Civ4 engine is flexible enough. And from the screenshots, looks like they are able to improve the graphics significantly.

However, calling the game "Civilization IV: Colonization" might mean they would not be able to price the game like a regular full PC game at $45 or $49.95. I guess they will price it like an expansion pack, at $29.95, since the development cost should be much lower compared to the initial development cost to make Civ4.

Honestly, unless it adds anything to Civ4? It shouldn't be called "Civ4: Colonization"
Instead, I've been referring to it as simply the remake of Colonization.

<rant>

Here's hoping this official mod...scenario... thing is better than the other official scenarios. Personally, outside of the ones created by people here, they... really, really sucked.
This latest one is a good example of that.
I'm hoping that since this one is simply a standalone official scenario with a pricetag that that means they've actually put thought into it and aren't releasing something where due to a drunken coder, the French start off with Stonehenge, the English colonies have mechs, and the native americans are able to research not only horseback riding, but Computers.

</end rant>

I think they call it the 3rd game in the franchise as:

1 = Civ4
2 = Civ4 Revolutions
3 = Civ4 Colonization

I always thought:
1 Civ IV
2 Civ City: Rome
3 Colonization

And as I said in another post, why do people always say it's a MOD or scenario or even think it will be low priced like an expansion pack? C&C Red Alert uses the same engine as C&C Tiberium Dawn, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 use the same engine as C&C Generals, Half Life used a modified Quake Engine, and I could go on and on about that, especially with 3D Shooters. Non of them was called a scenario or MOD and none of them was priced like an expansion set.

I always thought:
1 Civ IV
2 Civ City: Rome
3 Colonization

And as I said in another post, why do people always say it's a MOD or scenario or even think it will be low priced like an expansion pack? C&C Red Alert uses the same engine as C&C Tiberium Dawn, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 use the same engine as C&C Generals, Half Life used a modified Quake Engine, and I could go on and on about that, especially with 3D Shooters. Non of them was called a scenario or MOD and none of them was priced like an expansion set.

Last I checked, it wasn't called C&C Generals: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth. Redneck Rampage wasn't called Duke Nukem 64: Redneck Rampage.
However, -this- is called Civilization 4: Colonization.

They did something similar with the Command & Conquer series (i.e. C&C Tiberium Dawn and C&C Red Alert or C&C Generals and C&C Tiberium Wars).
But I agree that the name is stupid.

I think they call it the 3rd game in the franchise as:

1 = Civ4
2 = Civ4 Revolutions
3 = Civ4 Colonization
You're probably right. Doesn't make sense from a Civ4 player's perspective though, because for me Revolutions is a completely different game that I can't play even if I wanted (unless I bought a second piece of hardware)!

Top Bottom