[Reskins] Bismarck Battleship

Berenthor

King
Two reskins for the Bismarck battleship, one with the swastika on the front and back, one without the swastika (as it historically set to sea). The one with swastika is standard and the other one is in the folder called NoMarkings. Copy this one to the main folder and overwrite the standard one.
If people would like all the other files for the model as well, I can upload them in this download as well.

Download Link in the database

The original model is made by snafusmith for the modern warfare mod (for Warlords). All credit for the model and the original skin go to him.

So what is different in this version over Snafu's... I even looked at them in Nifviewer and had a hard time telling the difference.

Where's Danrell's reskin??!?!?

So what is different in this version over Snafu's... I even looked at them in Nifviewer and had a hard time telling the difference.

From looking at the dds files in a graphic viewer : the wood is darker, the red (the hull and the around the swastika) is darker and stronger, the black of the swastika is darker and stronger.

Where's Danrell's reskin??!?!?

ask Danrell, I wish he would upload it (along with the Z-Class and maybe some others)

What we need is an ACTUAL Bismarck... most folks don't realize Snafu just kinda added a fourth turret to the default battleship and repainted the sucker (a good job at a time when there were almost no custom models)... not a bad job, but it's not the Bismarck's silhouette.

@mamba: yeah those are exactly the changes. The one without swastika is actually the one I use because it is the battleship for austria as well in my own version of merged mod and I didn't like the swastika there. I actually thought about making the metal of the hull lighter. I used the image from wikipedia for the colors (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Bb_bismarck.png).

@Wolfshanze: I'm no modeler and barely even a skinner. When I found out the skins from danrell were not available, I decided to take a shot at it myself to atleast make it more distinct and sharper looking. I actually tried to make naves in the wood but I think the colordifference is not big enough since you don't see it in the game. Still I like it enough as a diverse unit for germany and austria, better than using the standard battleship from Civ4.

Anyway, I just made it for my own enjoyment and when I finished it yesterday I decided to upload it here for people who might like it :).

Snafu has some really darkening effects going on with this model... in Nifviewer the colors are bright and vibrant... the model shines... in-game it almost looks like a dark brown blob as the lighting is so darn dark!

I'm not a modeler, so I'm not sure how that all works, and I know Nifviewer always looks better, but it doesn't mean it has to be 30x darker in-game. I don't think minor reskinning works well with a model that is so dimly lit in-game... a reworking of the NIF (and/or the lighting of the NIF) really needs to be done... something that was clearly evident in the screenshot of Danrell's reskinning of the Bismarck.

Still.. at some point, a proper Bismarck needs to be done... but yeah... for now, this is definitely better then the default Battleship.

What we need is an ACTUAL Bismarck... most folks don't realize Snafu just kinda added a fourth turret to the default battleship and repainted the sucker (a good job at a time when there were almost no custom models)... not a bad job, but it's not the Bismarck's silhouette.

With you and GM collaborating on all those ships, why not throw a Bismarck into the mix ? ;)

With you and GM collaborating on all those ships, why not throw a Bismarck into the mix ? ;)
I hate doing something we "already have" when there's so many things we don't have (even when what we "already have" isn't really a true depiction). Having said that, I'd much rather see a new Bismarck then yet another British Battleship. :rolleyes:

I can't control the madness that is GM... every now and then he escapes and makes more British warships! I'm lucky enough to convince him not to make a British warship with every release. :lol:

This is all your fault... I blame you Gaius.

Thank you. I hope everyone who enjoys the new KGV will also remember your remarks. :lol:
Thank you. I hope everyone who doesn't get a much cooler and unique ship because we're getting our THIRD British Battleship instead, remembers your remarks. :lol:

2nd remember, the first was a Battlecruiser. :p Unless you mean The HMS Dreadnought, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, and the soon to be HMS King George V, not to mention the HMS Canopus and the HMS Warrior....

Thank you. I hope everyone who doesn't get a much cooler and unique ship because we're getting our THIRD British Battleship instead, remembers your remarks. :lol:

Nobody even knows what the heck an Austrian battleship is ("Austria had battleships?!"), but I suspect it won't take long for someone like asioasioasio to be happy. :)

Nobody even knows what the heck an Austrian battleship is ("Austria had battleships?!"), but I suspect it won't take long for someone like asioasioasio to be happy. :)
You're giving Americans a bad name with the assumption that just because the average American didn't know about the glorious Austrian Navy (much less the glorious Hungarian Navy), that everybody else doesn't know... Matt's gotten plenty of kudos and happy folk (especially Europeans) with the release of the Tegetthoff class... plus, for every Austrian ship built, you fulfill TWO nationalities worth of navies... Austrians and Hungarians (I won't even mention the Croats or Serbs).

I am also one of the few people that realize that... yes indeed... there were navies in-use besides during WWII.

So you go on with your Anglo-American-eccentric thinking... and spit out British and American ships one after the other over and over again thinking only of the British Navy and not realizing that a lot of other nations wielded great ships. The Wolf likes to think beyond English shipyards when having new models built... believe it or not... there are other navies outside the US and Britain, and a lot of people on these forums will thank me for pushing them... instead of yet another needless British ship ad infinitum. Wow... another WWII ship... wow... another British capital ship... wake me when it's something new and fresh.

What a complain :p

Wolf, i understand that you want to see some units you like but i think that every "artist" is free to choose what unit he wants to make, and not only working for modpacks authors.

This Bismarck reskinning is a good reskin despite some silhouette details.

I never though I'd write down something like this;),but I'm afraid that I agree with Wolf on this one.
Actually, I don't blame anyone with Anglo-American-eccentric thinking, especially since it's a fact that the Anglo-American Navy was/is the most powerful by far; but for the sake of Civ, I'd rather see an inferior ship design that fits the various nations in Civ than giving them a cool, but not fitting one.
Alas, I'm quite sure that the King George will find home in WW2 and other specialized mods!

Again, huge thanks to Matt!!!!
I'm happy to see that you can now show your 'physical' form on the forums, and stop being an omnipresent ghost that everyone talks about but nobody could actually see;))))

Yeah, I can second what avain says. It's not a problem for me that there are a lot british and american ships out there. All people have the right to be proud on their nation and to build a modell of a ship of their navy is a way to show this (actually this is also the reason why I keep working on the Hungary mod, besides of learning something about this country what the german schools didn't taught me). Well, nobody can include all those modells into one mod without going over the top. But I am also happy and thankful to see that there are also people like Wolfshanze that think about other countries, too and made "alternative" modells. Thank you Wolf!

BTW: The reskin is very well done. I can understand your situation. It's the same for me. I'd like to do new modells also, but I don't know how. So it's not your fault that the modell isn't 100% correct, you made the best out of it you can. If you want, you can enlighten it via Sceneviewer, it's very easy. I made a modell of a building some weeks ago (it isn't finished yet but I uploaded a preview) and I had the same problem. C.Roland give me a hint in the thread how to fix this and it worked. Just search for the thread of the Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, you can find C.Rolands hint there.

BTW2: If there is somebody out there that can create unit modells: maybe you could create a correct Bismarck modell finally?

Top Bottom