Map editing: Placing special terrain resources in ToT

Acrux

Warlord
I've recently been coming back to ToT after several years away. I've got the civ2 Map editor for ToT, but I can't find any way of placing special resources on specific terrain squares when creating unique maps? Anyone know of a good way to do this?

Thanks!

You can't. You can only change the resource seed (preset distribution patterns). However, there are a couple of other ways to manipulate their distribution. If you use something like Mercator's Map Edit utility, you can suppress resources from specific terrain slots. If you use that utility in conjunction with a decent graphics editor (one with the ability to handle palettes), you can suppress resources from specific areas of the map. For placing resources on specific tiles, you'll probably have to use spare terrain slots (if you have them).

In my scenarios I have started using a terrain, such as glacier, and converting it into Industrial terrain. All you need to do is alter the graphic in the Terrain 1 file and increase the stats in the rules file. You could also create special high food or trade terrain if required. That way you can ensure that key cities are industrial giants or trade centres.

As the others have said there is no easy way of getting the resources to appear where you want them except trying out different seed numbers in the map editor to find one that seems to fit reasonably well.

Top Bottom