Deity Walkthrough - Native America

Rusten

Deity
Please note to avoid confusion;
- the original start was with Frederick/Germany and was lost to a random AI attack 1640 BC before anything of importance happened--the current game starts on page 2.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thought I'd get started on another game as a lot of people seemed to enjoy the previous one. This time I'm playing Sitting Bull/Native America on a continents map.

Again I will be playing "live" so I can't promise a victory but I will do my best. I decided to call it a walkthrough anyway--even if I might end up losing as;
wikipedia said:
A walkthrough is a term describing the consideration of a process at an abstract level.

The term is often used in the world of learning where a tutor/trainer will walk through the process for the first time. It is regarded as a literal walk through of the learning at the groups pace ensuring that everyone takes in the new knowledge and skills.

Something akin to walkthroughs are used in very many forms of human endeavour since the process is a thought experiment that seeks to determine the likely outcome(s) of an affair based on starting conditions and the effects of decisions taken.
- which is pretty much what I want to achieve by making this kind of thread--discussing consequences of actions and optimal play.

Here's the starting position.

- Sitting Bull is Phi/Pro.
- agriculture/fishing.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    38.8 KB · Views: 276
This will be interesting to say the least. I am sure you can do it though. Oh and i didn't modify the map anything, just generated it(as you can see by this being the initial autosave). Good luck, you'll need it.

Whoho! Rusten is doin' another one! :goodjob:I'm going to follow this one real close. The win with Montezuma was impressive, but Monty is really powerful early game though, when most games are decided. It'll be really intresting to see how you manage Diety with a leader that got most of his strengths late game. I'm sure you will pull through though.;)

Looking forward to this. Every game turns out differently, so there can never be too many quality walkthrus imo. Good luck!

Jeez, you got corn? Map too easy, next.

He's philosophical too! It's broken. AND CAN WE GET A HARD START PLEASE. I'm thinking marble in the BFC. Only marble. 20 plains marble.

;).

Good luck Rusten. I've learned a lot reading these thus far. I envy your skill and aim to steal some secrets!

What?! That's a good start, but hardly easy at all. In fact, it's kinda weak. Even with a really awesome capital it's still very hard to win on deity.

If you guys/gals meant it sarcastically, then please put it in red text. Internet forums cannot convey sarcasm because we cannot actually hear your voice.

Either move in or move out - not optimal, but I really don't like my capital to be one tile off the coast. I like coastal cities, especially capitals.

His settler is at least 3 tiles from the coast.

And yes, it's sarcasm, because of certain people complaining about the "easy deity map" in the last game somehow.

Some thoughts on the start.

All settings are default to my knowledge which means that there will be 6 AIs and me separated into 3 continents. This means that there's a big risk (4 out of 7) that I'll be stuck with only 1 AI on my landmass and not be able to trade for many techs. With this in mind it might be a good idea to aim for the Oracle for a religion. I really want to get that civ I am coupled with to friendly and I'll need a religion for that to happen. I don't want to count on that civ founding one. I might have 2 AIs nearby, but I should be prepared for other situations as well.

I will probably settle in place as I won't be able to reveal most of the tiles in my BFC with my scout. I won't be able to claim the southern corn anyway.

The starting spot is okay for bureaucracy. I will have 2 riverside grassland tiles (cottages) and some silk for commerce.

I would move the scout 2SW to see if there is anything interesting over there. If there are good tiles visible from this forested hill, I would settle 2S of the current settler to get more riverside grassland. You lose 2 silk and 1 turn, but IF there is an extra food resource there, I think it's worth it.

I would move the scout 2SW to see if there is anything interesting over there. If there are good tiles visible from this forested hill, I would settle 2S of the current settler to get more riverside grassland. You lose 2 silk and 1 turn, but IF there is an extra food resource there, I think it's worth it.

I agree. I went ahead and moved the scout as you directed and revealed this:

Spoiler :

Settling 2 tiles south seems to be the better move now. It will cost me a turn but I'll get 2 more grassland river tiles and pigs.

Having these kind of tiles/resources and starting techs adds weight to the Oracle approach. I can ignore fishing, the wheel and pottery temporary and beeline priesthood and writing for CoL as freebie (I'm even organized).

Oracle on deity without marble? You don't even start with mysticism and you're losing a turn moving. That seems like a really hard gamble...

Not really, marble is rarely a factor for oracle. The extra time it takes to research masonry and hook marble usually makes it that it's faster on most maps to chop it with no marble. This map has a lot of forests. The oracle may fail, but I think that you are more than 80% likely to get it if you beeline it.

Even if he gets Oracle in time and the other assumption of one more civ on the map holds true, that other civ will have ~4 cities by the time Oracle is done with plenty more where that came from.

If there happen to be more civs on the continent or none at all then the Oracle is suddenly rendered a lot less useful as a diplomatic tool. With more civs they don't need to be friendly to trade and with none... well there's no trading partners and you'll be stuck with your very own religion that will likely spread to all your cities making it impossible for another religion to spread to you naturally and making you public enemy #1 when you do meet somebody else.

I think it's a very cool strategy if it works, but I'm just sayin.. I guess you can't expect to stick to conservative strategies on deity and win.

Not really, marble is rarely a factor for oracle. The extra time it takes to research masonry and hook marble usually makes it that it's faster on most maps to chop it with no marble. This map has a lot of forests. The oracle may fail, but I think that you are more than 80% likely to get it if you beeline it.

What do you take with it then? Monarchy? Actually that's not too terrible I guess ;).

Even at the lowly level where I play (Monarch) the Oracle tends to go awfully fast.

What continues to amaze me is how some people only think Oracle if they got Marble.

What silverbullet says is very much true. Like the Great Wall, the Oracle should be viewed as a resource-less wonder (at high levels).

Messing around with hooking up resources is good and all, but rarely worth it just for the sake of that one wonder.

And more importantly, don't feel obliged to stay away from these very early wonders just cause you don't see the resource. With Bronze Working you don't need any resources...!

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to this walkthrough. :)

Even at the lowly level where I play (Monarch) the Oracle tends to go awfully fast.

What continues to amaze me is how some people only think Oracle if they got Marble.

What silverbullet says is very much true. Like the Great Wall, the Oracle should be viewed as a resource-less wonder (at high levels).

Messing around with hooking up resources is good and all, but rarely worth it just for the sake of that one wonder.

And more importantly, don't feel obliged to stay away from these very early wonders just cause you don't see the resource. With Bronze Working you don't need any resources...!

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to this walkthrough. :)

Unlike the oracle though, GW requires the tech that lets you hook its resource up :p. I often see stone being a factor there, although honestly I don't get any early wonder very often outside SH for a prophet in my AP games.

Oh well, seems I'll need to re-roll a start of my own. There's not much to do about something like this:

If it was ~15-20 turns later I could have some axemen, but 1640 BC is just too much.

Top Bottom