DMI XII - Imhotep's Legacy

·Imhotep·

Legendary Builder
Ladies and Gentlemen,

LKendter posted in one of his SGs that he is tired of warfare as being the optimal route to victory. Indeed rushing is a valid and often optimal strategy to get an early landgrab and cripple your opponents. In this SG we're not going that route, but instead are enjoying the good ol' builder's lovefest - lots of wonders and other neat stuff. That does not mean we can't wage war at all, but we'll have a nice restriction on it:

Two World Wonders gain one free war declaration.

If we don't meet this requirement we can only defend ourselves and in any case not cross our borders with our units. The same two World Wonders grant only one free declaration, after a DoW they are obsolete for that purpose.

DM SG etiquette applies.

Spoiler DM SG Etiquette :
Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win. Remember, your report should be a new reply to alert other players.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, but don’t be rude.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates. NEVER fortify Great People.

Hotel: There is no Hotel.

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it.

The use of the BUG Mod version 3.0 or higher (from the SVN) is not mandatory, but recommended.

The game: BtS 3.17

The leader: Ramesses II. of Egypt
The map: mysterious wonderful map ;)
The difficulty: Monarch
The Speed: Normal

Roster duty:

1. Imhotep
2. LKendter
3. ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF
4. The King of himself
5. berserks01
6. MyOtherCar

Players may apply for a roster spot now, but for this SG I'll not go first come, first serve - please don't be furious if I put another player instead of you on the roster. :)

Imhotep

:hmm: Is this the builders game you were going to reserve a slot for me? I don't see my name in the roster...

Sign me up.

This looks like a nice variant, and I would like to play one of your maps.
I'll sign up if you'll have me.

·Imhotep·;7109111 said:
Hotel: There is no Hotel.

Then at least I don't have to pay $2000 for landing on Boardwalk :p

@Lee:

Yeah, it is :) . As putting someone on the roster who hasn't agreed to is rude I didn't do it. But now you're in :) . Welcome !

As DMI X seems to be preparing to die in a blaze ( :cry: ) and as a builder in heart ;), you can count me in if you like. if you don't like, well.... one less SG to play :p

P.S I hope that your wonderful map has enough of stone and Marble ;)

And BTW, do the team has to DOW every 2 wonders made or it can wait ?

I haven't played a good builder game in a while.. Sign me up if you'll have me.
EDIT:
Never mind it looks like I'll be too busy to play.

No rushing? Does this mean no :whipped: :eek:

Well, in any case ... I could give it a run if you've got room.

The roster is full, thanks all for joining :) . I'll put up the start for discussion in a few hours.

Imhotep

Here we go !

And that is our start:

I edited the map mainly for balance reasons, some of the AI got a really bad start and wouldn't have been a factor in the game. I think we will see an interesting game here, but don't expect Grassland Floodplains™ ;) !

I'll play the first 20 once some discussion has started. We will need to think of where to found and the research path (religion for example).

Imhotep

We got a decent start. Irrigated corn and fish means we have lots of food. We have at least a few mountains for production. OTOH only seeing a single calendar happy resource isn't good.

I can't see a thing justifying moving the settler.

The tech path obviously includes fishing. The question beyond that depends on wonder targets. What wonders do we want?

I agree with settling in place unless the warrior exposes a good reason not to.

For me, it seems like taking Mining and Fishing as the first two techs could be the right way to go.

Since we are coastal, maybe we want to go for an early Great Lighthouse, for a large commerce boon. Any other pointy square-based Masonry wonders we pick up would just happen to be coincidental, of course. :mischief:

Are we trying to bend the variant to get conquest/domination or are we playing this as a true builder's game?

Okay, I'll settle in place then and head for Fishing/Mining. Expect the first set tomorrow.

Imhotep

As agreed I settle in place. This is our capital. :)

I pop the hut in the forest near Thebes and... SCOOOOORE ! WOOT !

I started worker first in the capital as we have the corn to farm. Mining comes in, ensuring our worker has stuff to do.

Fishing is next.

The scouting warrior pops another hut and finds hostile villagers. Ah well, free XP. We stand on a hill, and hasve a bonus vs. barbs. RIGHT ?

My incredible RNG luck with barbs continues... :eek:

Fishing is in, and Hinduism is FIDL on turn 12 - glad we didn't chase an early religion.

The lands as we know them:

And another shot...

We'll need a new scout some time down the road as there is plenty to discover yet. I also marked a spot for our 2nd city with the dyes, might be great post-calendar.

Imhotep

Spoiler The Log :

Logging by BUG Mod 3.0 [Build 1000] (BtS 3.13-3.17)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 1/500 (3960 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:27:12]

Turn 4/500 (3840 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:27:32]

After End Turn:
Thebes's borders expand

Turn 7/500 (3720 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:27:51]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Mining

Turn 8/500 (3680 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:27:56]
Research begun: Fishing (5 Turns)

Other Player Actions:
Buddhism founded in a distant land

Turn 9/500 (3640 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:28:20]
Tribal village results: weak hostiles

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild, Warrior loses to Barbarian Warrior (0.24/2) (Prob Victory: 74.9%)

Other Player Actions:
Hinduism founded in a distant land

Turn 12/500 (3520 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:28:53]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Fishing

Turn 13/500 (3480 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:29:01]
Research begun: Bronze Working (14 Turns)

Turn 15/500 (3400 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:29:43]
Thebes begins: Warrior (15 turns)

Turn 20/500 (3200 BC) [07-Aug-2008 20:30:28]
A Farm was built near Thebes

Roster duty:

1. Imhotep >> JUST PLAYED
2. LKendter >> UP NOW for 15
3. ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF >> ON DECK

4. The King of himself
5. berserks01
6. MyOtherCar

Some things never change. I either have nothing up or everything up.
It is in the queue behind VRA04.

Top Bottom