George Washington was Muslim

blizzrd

Micromanager
Was George Washington actually meant to be of Muslim faith?
That's what I got in this recent American start:
View attachment 185723
Is there supposed to be a random chance that the missionary at the American spawn is not Christian? I thought the default was to get a Christian missionary. :confused:

Maybe it depends on what other civs have as their religion or it is a bug. I have started America several times and always gotten a Christian Missionary. The only other civ to get a missionary on start is Khimer and it is important for them to get a Buddhist since it ties to the UHV.

Go for Free Religion from the start and it doesn't matter what missionary you got. I go for FR with USA, seems to work well.

Well, it is possible that America's name is Islamic States of America. Personally, I have never experienced either.

Delving further into the game, Christianity is not extinct - not at all. 32% of the world are Christian, while 13% (including England and their Aztec vassals) are Muslim.

EDIT: The Christian Holy city (Rome) is still there (Spanish) and the Church of the Nativity is in Kudus (Turkish).

If English were muslim, that might affect the Americans, as it would have affected in real life. Btw, how did they become ones? Do you have any idea?

Islam has spread (from Mecca) to London and Plymouth. The remaining 3 English cities on their home island(s) have no religion. England adopted Islam at some point before the Americans spawned.

This has come up before - I think you get a missionary of the religion of the closest European power. Usually this will be England. It's definitely not always Christian, just 95% of the time.

Incidently, I've never seen a missionary other than Christian or Muslim, although I assume it is possible in theory.

It's tied to England; if England is Religion A, so is America.

I thought it was that America got the world's most populous religion, but clearly that's not right. But still I see an Islamic Britain quite frequently and I can't recall an Islamic America.

I remember seeing Islamic Britain when playing Dutch and Chinese, but in both cases I won before America spawned.

America always inherits its religion from Britain. Although that makes me wonder if a Britain without a state religion would cause a crash on the spawn of America (as the game tries to create a missionary and fails).

Good point Verily, the chance of England staying without state religion is slim (unless they adopt Free Religion, but with the slow tech in 1.81 that is highly unlikely). You can test that if you play with the British and deliberately don't declare state religion, the switch over to USA once they spawn and see what happens.

Somebody please analyze the routine that is called for America in riseandfall.py. It looks like Christianity (and Judaism) is favored but it's possible for a surrounding culture (most likely British)'s state religion to be Islam.

def addMissionary(self, iCiv, tTopLeft, tBottomRight, tPlot, iNumber):
lReligions = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
for x in range(tTopLeft[0], tBottomRight[0]+1):
for y in range(tTopLeft[1], tBottomRight[1]+1):
pCurrent = gc.getMap().plot( x, y )
if (pCurrent.isCity()):
city = pCurrent.getPlotCity()
iOwner = city.getOwner()
if (iOwner != iCiv):
iStateReligion = gc.getPlayer(iOwner).getStateReligion()
if (iStateReligion >= 0 and iStateReligion < con.iNumReligions):
lReligions[iStateReligion] += 1
iMax = 0
iWinnerReligion = -1
for i in range(1, len(lReligions)+1): #so that Christianity comes first
iLoopReligion = i % con.iNumReligions
if (lReligions[iLoopReligion] > iMax):
iMax = lReligions[iLoopReligion]
iWinnerReligion = iLoopReligion

if (iWinnerReligion == -1):
for iLoopCiv in range(iNumMajorPlayers):
if (iLoopCiv != iCiv):
if (gc.getMap().plot(tPlot[0], tPlot[1]).isRevealed(iLoopCiv, False)):
iStateReligion = gc.getPlayer(iLoopCiv).getStateReligion()
if (iStateReligion >= 0 and iStateReligion < con.iNumReligions):
lReligions[iStateReligion] += 1

for iLoopReligion in range(1, len(lReligions)+1): #so that Christianity comes first
iLoopReligion = i % con.iNumReligions
if (lReligions[iLoopReligion] > iMax):
iMax = lReligions[iLoopReligion]
iWinnerReligion = iLoopReligion

if (iWinnerReligion != -1):
utils.makeUnit(con.iJewishMissionary + iWinnerReligion, iCiv, tPlot, iNumber)

Christianity is checked first, so it is the only proffered religion. con.iJewishMissionary is just an offset, meaning marks the beginning of the religions list (look it in Consts.py). It also seems possible that America would start without a Missionary of any religion. That is what I see at first glance, the exact dynamics of choosing the religion are more complicated and I may look into it later.

My last Khmer game was 35% Muslim, 25% Buddhist when America spawned. Christianity had 0% (2 cities in the world); holy Jerusalem had been destroyed. England was Buddhist, but America became the Islamic States of America, thanks to a spawned Muslim missionary.

America flipped two English cities (New York, Popham) and a German one (Ebenezer; Germany was under Free Religion, but mostly Islamic). Near them were Islamic Aztecs, Buddhist Mayans, New Orleans (no religion, but part of Muslim France), and three other English cities. Two were in Canada, one near Denver. None of the European's cities in North America had embraced a religion yet.

From what I can tell, unless the Christian Holy City is razed America will become Christian. Otherwise the "winner religion" in the code would be the highest % religion left with a Holy City, usually being Islam.

From what I can tell, unless the Christian Holy City is razed America will become Christian. Otherwise the "winner religion" in the code would be the highest % religion left with a Holy City, usually being Islam.

Then how do you explain the occasional Jewish missionary (I've had it twice already)? The first part of the code seems to pick up the religion of the nearby cities, and then there's some really convoluted picking for the winning religion, and if there's no winning religion it then goes to the "major" players to choose one. Nowhere does it mention holy cities or the proportion of religions in the world (the top players may have not have the largest population, e.g. England with their phenomenal tech rate and relatively small AI empire).

I can't. I can't read code, and I've only seen Muslim and Christian missionaries. If the Christian holy city is gone and is at 5% or less, America becomes Muslim in my games. Otherwise, it's always Christian.

This is simply not correct, as I have already said. The Christian Holy City (Rome) and the Church of the Nativity were both still present, yet I got Islam with America.

Top Bottom