Free Parthenon!? What happened?

gskyes

Warlord
It takes a truly odd event to bring me out of lurker mode to post something, but this one is really making me scratch my head.

Game is BTS 3.17, BUG mod and Blue Marble Terrain. I am Korea on a Hemispheres map, difficulty is Noble.

Here is Pusan in 580AD, building a granary...

and a shot of the city screen..

ok, hit end turn, and in 595AD...

:confused:

I have no idea what happened to make a wonder just appear like that. In fact, when I was playing the game, I didn't even notice this, as I was monitoring other cities, waiting for Pusan to finish its granary. As you can imagine, I was quite surprised to see this in 610AD...

I went back to the earliest auto save, which was 580AD to take these screenshots.

So, what happened here? Is it a bug? I thought it might be related to the BUG mod or Blue Marble, but to test this I uninstalled both and loaded the save, and the Parthenon still builds itself. Also, as these are both graphical mods and do nothing to the game rules, it seems unlikely that either is the cause. I guess it could have still been one of them, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

edit: screenshots linking properly now

Here is the save from 580AD if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Attachments

• Wang Kon AD-0580.CivBeyondSwordSave
    248.3 KB · Views: 116
You put it in the que

Genv [FP];7136672 said:
You put it in the que

Well, no, look at the first shot of Pusan.

The only thing I can see that he could've done is build The Parthanon to 1 turn, start building a granary, and then start to build the Parthanon again. But I really doubt he's being dishonest.

It's probably just a bug.

The only time weird things like that happen for me, is when the mouse selection goes a bit haywire during city maintenance and then i cannot fix the problem because i get moved on automatically to the next city and then after that i end up forgetting by the time i finish with city maintenance.

That alone would not entirely cause the op's problem tho - he would need to have lost track or forgotten something at some point as well in order for that to have happened - (if it was not a bug)

Haven't you apotted the GE in the first screenshot?
Whose nationality was it?

It was him who built the Parthenon.

This is interesting, but wouldn't gsky have to have the Parthenon as his active build?

I tested it:
-In 580 AD he's building a granary in Pusan ( 3 turns to finish ). Parthenon if queued needs 34 turns to build. No workers chopping.
-Hit enter
-In 595 AD the queue of the city has a Parthenon with 1 turn to finish ( no human insertion ) and the granary queued after it ( 2 turns to finish, so it has built 1 turn since last ). Hannibal GE that was in city in turn before vanishes.

Definitely a bug. Tooo bad that this kind of bugs does not hit me :cry: :lol:

My only possible explanation is that the game mistankenly thinked that Pusan belonged to Hannibal and that AI hurried the Parth with the GE in there. ( I would keep a eye in the game to see if there are other strange stuff ( if the game assigns it to a AI again, you'll notice change of queues and/or mismatch of turns to build )

I tested it:
-In 580 AD he's building a granary in Pusan ( 3 turns to finish ). Parthenon if queued needs 34 turns to build. No workers chopping.
-Hit enter
-In 595 AD the queue of the city has a Parthenon with 1 turn to finish ( no human insertion ) and the granary queued after it ( 2 turns to finish, so it has built 1 turn since last )

Definitely a bug. Tooo bad that this kind of bugs does not hit me :cry: :lol:

Where was the engineer located at the time of the build? If he disappeared then he built it, even though it would still be a bug, at least we would know it was the engineer.

The GE was in Pusan. No engineer after the 1 turn Parth.

It was probably what I wrote later: Game thinked that Pusan was a Han city, Han feels culture pressure and decides to hurry a wonder with the GE there. Game comes back to Human player with the Parth hurried .

The proof that the game is assigning the city both to the Human and to Han is that the granary continues to build as normal ( if the Parth was human related the granary build would not pass from 2 to 1 turn between 595 AD and 610 AD ) . So the timeline was this:

-580 AD ,Pusan , Human turn: granary 3 turns

-580 AD, Pusan, Hannibal turn: Inserts Parthenon before Granary in queue, rushes it with Mr Tesla.

-595 AD, Pusan , Human turn: Parth in queue 1 turn to finish, granary 2 turns

-595 AD, Pusan , Hannibal turn: Parth finishes

-610 AD, Pusan, Human turn: granary 1 turn

Human and AI building stuff in the same city.... this can be interesting :lol:

Wow, thanks. I didn't notice the GE there in the city. I guess that must be a bug, then. Kinda makes me feel bad about the war I am in against Hannibal right now. (just a little) :hammer:

edit: I just posted this in the bug forums, too.

This is definitely a funny and absolutely rare bug!

Mr. Tesla was actually on his way to Hannibal's coastal city in the north east. While marching through Korean territory he fortunately ended one of his turns in the city of Pusan. This enabled the switchHurry-mission, since the current code does not check for the ownership of the city. It can be tested by placing a GE of foreign nationality into one of your cities via WB. This city must be able to build a wonder but must not have it in the building queue. As long as the city is big enough that the GE can hurry the wonder (500+20*pop :hammers:) he will do it. In contrast to that GSs, GPs and GGs seem to work fine, as they use the AI_construct mission to build Academies, Shrines and Military Academies.

A fix might look like this [not sure about getOwnerINLINE() vs getOwner()]:
CvUnitAI::AI_switchHurry()
change
Code:
[SIZE="3"]if (pCity == NULL) 
{
	return false;
}[/SIZE]
to
Code:
[SIZE="3"]if ((pCity == NULL) || (pCity->getOwnerINLINE() != getOwnerINLINE()))
{
	return false;
}
[/SIZE]

Wow, Thanks Dan, I was really curious on how something like this could happen.

That the Civ designers didn't catch this bug - do they work at all...?

;)

Top Bottom