Mouse problems

ZachNCheeze

Chieftain
Hi everyone. This is my problem:
I run vista, and I'm trying to play Civ 4.
But when the main screen loads up, my mouse doesn't show up.
I'm trying to find the specs (how do I find those again?!) but my graphics card and everything is really good from what I know.
I don't know why it's doing this, and it's really annoying. It's the first time I've ran it on this machine, by the way. (Laptop).

I had a custom mouse but just to check I made my mouse default and it still doesn't show up.

Okay, what do I do?
Thanks!
Zach

Quotey

Emperor
Hi! Never seen this specific problem, but I have an idea that let me run Civ4 after some problems (on a low spec machine):

Try going to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Civilization IV (or whatever version)\CivilizationIV.ini (open this in notepad)

and changing the line:

Code:
; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = 1

to

Code:
; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = 0

If this fixes your problem, you'll just have to play in windowed mode. If it doesn't, you can get your sepcs by going to Start -> Program Files -> Accesories _> Run, then typing dxdiag and letting the program run. Relevant info is probably the amount of RAM, the graphics card and the processor speed.

After doing that, go to your graphics card manufacturers website and download the latest drivers- this fixes 80% of problems as drivers are usually old out of the box.

You might also want to install Vista Service Pack 1 if you haven't already.

Oh, and ditch the green text. Hard on the eyes :p

ZachNCheeze

Chieftain

okay, that's my dxdiag.
I'll try the windowed mode thing, then the drivers thing. thanks

ZachNCheeze

Chieftain
Ew, okay I realized I wasn't patched up to the newest version of the game, and when I did patch I got an error.
"This application has failed to start because D3DX9_32.DLL was not found. RE-installing the application may fix this problem".
Ugh. I'll do the drivers though, just in case. also, how to fix this error (do I have to reinstall?)

ZachNCheeze

Chieftain
OKay, the games workin but the mouse is still invis.
I installed eveerything.

I also put it to 0 for fullscreen, but I actually think it's not full screen...
and when I close the game and go check the ini, it's back to 1 again.
Eh?

Anyway help! Mouse is still missing!

Quotey

Emperor
That's VERY strange.

Are you saving the file before closing? Seems obvious but just incase...

Another thing to try would be setting the value to ask then tell it to run in windowed on startup.

I'm getting fairly desperate here: try going to BeyondtheSword.exe in the BTS folder (Program Files/Firaxis Games/Civ4/BTS), right click, go to the Compatability tab and select Run... in Windows XP SP2 mode (teh default).

ZachNCheeze

Chieftain
Well I ended up having to go in game, trying to navigate to the options menu with no mouse, then I clicked "run in full screen" and it went to windowed mode.
And now the mouse is back!
Thanks a lot.
Zach

Quotey

Emperor
Awesome! A bit annoying but hopefully you'll find it worth the trouble. I should have asked if you could navigate the menu though. At least you got there in the end.

Happy civving and stuff. You might want to check out The War Academy, and there's always a lot of good stuff on the Strategy & Tips forum.

Now to get a good nights rest :)

Top Bottom