Noble's Club XII-Elizabeth Revisited!

Krick19

Prince
Alright so a bunch of us(me included) thought Elizabeth would be a great leader to take us to the next level. So she's back and badder than ever!

Her traits are great, FIN and PHI, two of my faves. This calls for a great hybrid economy. Her UU, the Redcoat gets a 25% bonus against Gunpowder Units, which is really helpful when you're attacking muskets or rifles. Lastly the UB is a Bank with 65% more income instead of 50%. This combines for a nasty combo.

And the start:

Spoiler :

And here is the standard cut and paste of our Club Doctrine(ME STOLE YOUR DOCTRINE, BLEYS!):

There are no hard and fast rules here, fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats dont fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps(I could never get the WB saves right), and all of you for playing.

The WB-save is attached (zipped, they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, I suggest checking out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC XII". This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Prince, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Also, it should be noted that although this is a "pre-Monarch" oriented series, you are welcome to play it at levels above Prince. However, the AIs will NOT get their full set of bonus techs. The main difference is Archery, which the AI normally gets for free at Monarch and above. The main affects of this are in the AIs starting units (warriors instead of archers) and it also creates a tad "slower" AI, since they now have to tech Archery themselves.

In addition, because of the variations of using the Scenario menu, your starting Scout/Warrior may not be in exactly the same spot as the one shown.

Attachments

• NC_XII.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 554
I had a feeling this was coming out so I'm delaying PYL for a week. I'll probably stay emperor here while immortal is still hit or miss for me (don't want to beat it without its bonuses and immortal AIs even get AG etc :p).

Not a lot of food in this start unless something's hidden in fog (maybe 2-3 flood plains to the right?, can't quite tell).

Rolo/Bleys had adjusted to complaints on NC X about difficult maps by posting a spoiler suggestion for new players on approaching the map. Once I play it I'll do something similar for people who haven't started yet. I'll say right now though, that if food is a problem you're going to want to ease off whipping you'd otherwise want to do quite fervently :p.

EDIT: TMIT's Map tip:
Spoiler :

Similar to NC X, this map greatly favors aggressive settling practices. Nearby :) resources and the trait combo lends strongly towards avoiding wonders in favor of more cities. I advise against a traditional EARLY rush, and coming from me that means something! Pick religion carefully to avoid unnecessary early surprises.

Plains. Everywhere. at least there's a river and what looks like a Floodplain right near by, though. I'll take a crack at this, I guess.

Great :)

I've been waiting for this game for my first renewed solo effort at Monarch.

Wow! :eek: I don't think I've ever seen so much plains in a starting screenie before. I'm really hoping thats theres's some food hiding in the fog!

I'll be going Monarch/Epic this game.

Yeah Monarch/Epic for me too. Lulz groo, you wanna have a friendly competition? See who wins first?(Though tbh, I haven't won yet, so it would probably be survive as long as I can) :p

I wonder whats hidden where the settlers are. A lot of forest, and feck all resources. There has to be something there:)

Yeah Monarch/Epic for me too. Lulz groo, you wanna have a friendly competition? See who wins first?(Though tbh, I haven't won yet, so it would probably be survive as long as I can) :p

Yeah, it probably would be a case of who loses last rather than who wins first :lol: I havn't beaten Monarch yet either!

I'm up for a bit of freindly competition :) just for fun!

Checkpoint1, 1150 BC, Noble/Marathon:
Spoiler :
I posted earlier that there might be something hidden in the bare spot the settlers were standing. Going with that instinct, I decided for a move 1E of the start.

Turned out to be quite profitable, 4FP and precious gold. My first research choice was BW, and build was a worker (I wanted a mine there ASAP). Then Wheel and pottery were next up, as the FP were begging for cottages. Suffice to say my research skyrocketed. I also found Zara early and decided to DoW him, in the hope his cap was undefended. No such luck, a warrior was already there, and a worker too:mad:. I just left my warrior there, as I didn't want him expanding too quick. It paid off, as he had to wait for archery, and two archers to kill my warrior, by which time I was getting ready to settle for copper. I managed to tech MC by about 1800BC or maybe even earlier...financial gold start rocks.

Here is the sit rep

not explored much - will soon change

The civs I have met

The power sit
Sury seems to be spending quite a bit on espionage...

Techs researched (Alphabet being done as we speak)

London

York

My immediate plan is to get two more cities, scout the lands with axes, and send a few axes Zara's direction

I wonder whats hidden where the settlers are. A lot of forest, and feck all resources. There has to be something there:)

I think there is never a resource in the settler's starting spot.

Emp/Epic to 1000 BC

Spoiler :

Starting warrior in a different spot - we have GOLD! Still not much food though. Except that the warrior reveals rice if I settle 1 SE. Ok.

3900 Nearby jumbos mean we have +2 :) from resources early. Nice.
3825 Met Zara. Yikes...must be close.
3475 Sury. Hmm...Zealot. No religion for zara so we'll see how this goes.
3400 Tech whore MM.
3325 MM is hindu
3125 Copper very near - next border pop.
2975 I declare war on Zara and plant a warrior next to his border on a forest hill. I will later swap an axe in there.
2375 Forgot to mention I already settled york 4 E of capitol a while back. It will whip a monument next turn.
2350 I have all worker techs, pottery, and bronze working. I'm going IW next to claim gems to SW...then probably priesthood/writing ----> CoL
2325 Met Louis
1400 3rd city settled to claim 2x gems, a 3rd copper, and corn.
1000 BC Gems are long hooked up, Zara broke the Axe choke but I'm looking to replace it (Basically I don't care as long as I slow him down).

I'm 2 turns from CoL, so I'm likely to found Confuc. - I will try to find and spread this to Sury for some fun religious hell (Louis is buddhist, MM hindu :p). I will continue to settled towards Mali while choking Zara with minimal military to slow him up. I've badly hampered his ability to work improved tiles in any but 2 of his cities, so it should keep him out of contention.

Since I have Jumbos, it's probably going to be a catapult/axe/jumbo push to take all of the NW forcibly after blocking MM a bit. Sury is pretty peace when in your religion so having a super zealot on my border in my religion sounds convenient (and potentially lucrative :p).

Mon/Epic to 950 BC

Spoiler :

Not too much, settled 1SW and have 4 cities(including London). One to get corn+copper, one to get cows copper+ivory, and last to grab almost every single dye+gem.

Emp/Epic to 500 AD:

Spoiler :

950 Founded confucianism - courthouse powered expansion/conquest is going to be fun. Construction/HBR are priority techs now.
825 Confucianism spread to Sury. Hahahaha.
470 Skirmishing with Zara and his archers/chariots is inconclusive. Of course, he still hasn't improved the iron in his territory, and I doubt he's teched well. I settle a 4th city in the junble for cow/banana/rice/sugar.
230 Starting to whip some cats.
215 Fighting in my territory (which I largely emerged from victorious) granted me a GG. I made a medic III axe.
125 Zara finally gets rid of my last choking axe - he can hook up iron now.
80 Whipping some stable/elephant, more cats.
65 Met gilgamesh. He has a lot of cities. Good thing he's far.
85 I give Sury Col for archery, sailing, and war with Zara. This will let me take a few of Zara's cities then force him to give me monarchy, then declare on him later to end him.
130 Sury switches to buddhism. I decide to mimic this, having captured a buddhist city off of zara just now!
505 AD forces are bombarding Aksum. Zara has one other lightly defended city. I'm teching a rather average 78 BPT but hold a tech lead on all but MM. Since the whole world is buddhist except for hindu MM and jewish Gilgamesh, and MM is the only person with theology, it's probably that MM builds the AP. This would be great for me, as after I settle my surrounding lands for like 15+ cities I'd instantly just overrun him with elephant/cat/axe and take it. Sury is friendly and would vote me to win. I'd like an easy ending like that

Emp/epic

to 1200 AD

Spoiler :

565 - Aksum is mine
685 Zara is no more. Time for a settling spree since I captured some workers. I will also whip up more forces for MM.
860 MM circumnavigated the globe, eh. Ah yeah. One thing people forget about conquesting is the resources. I'm currently selling 3 resources for 24 GPT. That's as much as many shrines will give you, especially at this point in the game. Don't forget to do this...Also good for me is that BOTH france AND khmer are friendly.
930 Gilgamesh created a Ghandi colony in Confucianism.......?
940 Met Hammy. Backwards...although I'm only at parity I also have 12 cities.
980 Roosevelt, colony of France.
1030 MM built the AP :p. I kill him off, I win, although running hindu guys around in caravels may be a little annoying.
1050 I have guilds, which means unless MM gets cuirassers, I can take whatever he can make. #'s advantage = ME!
1120 I declare on the tech-leading MM. He's almost to liberalism, but of course doesn't even have guilds. Or power. Or any hammer improvements. Or (great for me) friends. Sury has too much on his hands also :(. I have to hurry or Sury might vassal this sucker.
1130 MM bribed hammy to war with me. To bad for MM that his "ally" needs to sail across the world through my allies. In galleys.
1140 I lose 1 cat to take Awdaghost. Ha.
1150 MM takes DR off of lib. Jihad, MM?
1170 Knew it. Sury declares on MM.
1190 2 cats and Kumba Saleh is mine. What am I using? A GG mace, a gg healer mace, a bunch of elephants, a couple knights, and catapults...although soon I'll start making trebs because I almost have engineering. MM is mostly defending with longbows.
1200 Move forces into Kumba Saleh to heal - shouldn't take long.

Yeah...so MM is going to die. From there I can just spread religion and win or tech to infantry, shred the gilgamesh continent, and take domination. AP seems to be less effort, so that's the pick.

Emp/Epic

To 1600 AD

Just kidding. The game ends in 1565 ;).

Spoiler :

War continues. I'm having aksum build some galleys/triremes to cross over and wipe MM out completely. Two more cities are pumping buddhist/hindu missionaries exclusively. The rest have long since whipped forges and barracks and courthouses and are contributing to the war effort. MM techs well but is a pushover at parity. Onward...

1220 Sury captures a city. I bribe him out of the war with MM for both guilds and engineering. What do I care? Sury is my super ally...and I don't need my AP being vassaled to that.
1260 3 cats and nothing else lost to kill about 10 units and capture timbuktu's AP. Yes! Hindu shrine is worth 26 GPT once the city comes out of revolt.
1265 MM will capitulate but that would be a poor move on my part - i don't want his diplo averaged with min.
1285 Hammy gives me a little gold for peace.
1295 Gao falls.
1360 I take Djenne
1430 I take MM's last continental city and gear up for an excursion to his 4 city island.
1515 Sury declares on MM again and takes one of his last 2 cities. I don't mind this time Sury...have at what's left of him :p.
1525 I take MM's last city. I have everything I need for the AP win now except Roosy and Gandhi having the religion (I don't have 75% of votes by myself, but sury/louis voting me will give me over 90%). I have open borders with both ;).
1550 Hindu to ghandi
1555 Hindu to Roosy
1565 I win via AP diplo

After reading the last Nobles Challange I decided I would really like to try this.
I'm a Noble level player. Well maybe Warlord now that the AI has improved.
Thing is, I still play as if I'm on Settler level. Not much in the way of strategies.

I will be playing Noble/marathon.

I already have a question about my start.
Spoiler :

My start put my warrior 2S,1W of my settler. There is a goody hut 1W of him. Should I pop it before settling?

I already have a question about my start.
Spoiler :

My start put my warrior 2S,1W of my settler. There is a goody hut 1W of him. Should I pop it before settling?

Spoiler :
No. You don't get techs from huts if you haven't settled yet. If you want the chance of popping a tech, settle 1st

Just kidding. The game ends in 1565 ;).

You finished before I even started :lol:

Played to 900BC things seem to be going okay although I could have settled more cities!

Update - Monarch/Epic - 900BC (incl dotmap)

Spoiler :
Luckily my warrior started to the east of the settler revealing Gold & 4 Floodplains. Decided to settle 1 east losing cow & a turn but gaining 2 floodplains.

Tech path was, Aggriculture > Bronze > Animal Husb > Wheel > Pottery > Mysticism > Writing > Alpha > Currency (9 turns left).

I was pretty lucky with huts popping 6 in total, popped Sailing, 70gold, 93gold, warrior, hostile village & another warrior. I ended up with a bunch of warriors :rolleyes: including the few I built.

It looks like we have the market cornered in copper with three sources close to the capital.

My first city grabbed copper & corn to the southwest, 2nd city was founded to the Northwest which should force Zara to settle the lovely tundra to the North :lol:, and a 3rd city was settled directly south of the capital to grab Rice, Banana & some nice riverside grassland tiles.

Plan from here on in is to just try and grab as many southern spots in the jungle as possible, heres a dot map for settling the south.

Thats it for now!

Noble/normal

This does not appear to be the most propitious of placements for a capital city, but no alternative site well recommends itself to me. The notional scheme is BW and some warriors for walkabouts.

Count me in... Noble/Epic

I made a start, then realised that I had forgotten to change the speed from Normal to Epic.

This is my start, and due to forests, I settled in place and hoped the game would reveal a helpful square or two.
Spoiler :

Lots of hammers...

My thoughts:
I have started a worker (23 turns) and Agriculture research aiming for AH.
Depending on how much faster the worker will be once the BFC expands, I may research hunting before AH, because I think it will reduce the beaker cost.

I will explore in a rough circle around London, but I am hoping that there is coast to the East.

After AH I will go for BW.
Agri - (hunting?) - AH - BW Wheel
Worker - Warrior - Scout/Warrior - Settler.

I am off out for a while (gym) and hope to play to 1000BC later this evening.

edit: Just looked at the Krick19's start and it looks like we all get the same start...
Silly me assumed it would be randomised. My Start pictures are now unnecessary.

Top Bottom