Colonization First Impressions

rastak

Emperor
Anyone care to share? I will not be able to play for about 6 hours but will try and post something when I do.

Very quick impressions:

* The manual is OK, but not great by Sid's past standards. The Pedia is your friend.
* Where's my unit/terrain card? More Pedia work.
* Install was smooth. It nagged me about my not-up-to-snuff integrated video card, but it runs - and that's the important thing.
* The Pedia works as it's supposed to, but it seems to be missing links for peaks and hills.
* Many of the customization options from Civ IV have been retained here.
* John Paul Jones is back! And he still has that gift wrapped frigate!!
* On the missing list: Jakob Fugger, Paul Revere, Henry Hudson... I'm sure there are others.

Gotta run.

I'm reading thru the manual. It is often saying "check the 'pedia for details" kinds of things. Which I don't think is all bad since you'd probably be in-game when you want to look it up and the 'pedia is generally easier to deal with than a manual. Plus, there will be a good number of digital purchases and those folks will probably get a PDF manaul - and I'd personally much rather deal with the 'pedia than a PDF any day! Ie, keeping most game documentation in the 'pedia works for all buyers.

I'm reading thru the manual. It is often saying "check the 'pedia for details" kinds of things. Which I don't think is all bad since you'd probably be in-game when you want to look it up and the 'pedia is generally easier to deal with than a manual. Plus, there will be a good number of digital purchases and those folks will probably get a PDF manaul - and I'd personally much rather deal with the 'pedia than a PDF any day! Ie, keeping most game documentation in the 'pedia works for all buyers.

I want it in both but I have to admit, with patches things change so the pedia should always be the authoritative answer.

I liked it so much. It's diferent in the beggining but so cool to learn more and more.

Weird is see Inca in Argentina, english cities on brazil...

Do the natives have different graphics? Do Incan villages look like Aztec towns which look like Sioux settlements? Do their warriors look different.

Got it! :D

Aztec towns do have stone temples and the occasional pyramid, but they're usually surrounded by little huts. Both Sioux and Aztec Braves look the same, though, I think.

Also, I noticed you can open a diplomacy screen with the King! The only option there is to ask for military support, which leads to him offering you a unit for a certain price. I got a Cannon for 300 gold, which is a bargain since their base price in Europe is 500. Perhaps more options will appear in the future, but I might restart this game. Doing awful and got already boxed in by English territory after 40-50 turns (Normal speed, playing as the Spanish). Also, I've just a couple of Founding Fathers when England has 3 or 4. Yay for lame first game. :p

Just like Shadow I got boxed quite fast by the cheese-eating surrender-monkeys ((C) by Groundskeeper Willie:), seems like you have to start off by bulding some cities. Or bulding an army right away and killing them. If you send 2 seasoned scouts out for exploring you can make a not-so-small fortune from gifts and can build an army. Colonists seem to come much faster than in the originial and i havent built a chruch yet. Well im going back to play, gonna kill those frenchies :)

Here's a tip I use:

Get 5 cities up ASAP! And close to each other. Every new colonist == a new city (till you get 5). Otherwise, you miss out.

A few notes from me:

1. The interface is a big change from civ4.
2. It seems rather easy to make money (i'm playing on easiest :) )
3. Building takes forever......

A few notes from me:

1. The interface is a big change from civ4.
2. It seems rather easy to make money (i'm playing on easiest :) )
3. Building takes forever......

1. yes it is, but for me its perfect
2. im playing on explorer and its still easy to make money. way easier than in the original
3. just use expert carpenters and it gets a LOT faster

It's easier to make money, but you'll spend a LOT more on your army later.

So far, I like the music, the graphics are fantastic. A mix of the familiar with Civ and the new. Just starting out as the English and I have natives and a Dutch settlement very close to mine.

Is there a Marathon speed? And how much turns does it last?
Quick: 225 turns, everything's 25% faster
Normal: 300 turns
Epic: 450 turns, everything's 50% slower
Marathon: 900 turns, everything's three times slower

Played about 40+ turns so far. I got one size 5 city and a couple other cities (one is a silver mining town although I'm not very happy with its location). Natives to the north and south, no other European colonies in contact. No warfare yet.

So far it reminds me a lot of the original. Still working on getting a trade network going (the silver mine should help a lot for that).

The weird part is that I seem to be passing up a bunch of founding fathers. Don't know if that's the right idea or not.

couple of things i'm not pleased with comparing to the original

1)music is horrible. it's downright depression and the music for combat is amateur like someone went to a re-enactment with a tape recorder.

2)maps are really small.

Top Bottom