Back from Europe - Unit Cycling Disabled

Lord Chambers

Emperor
Every game I have started has ended the same way: I send my Caravel back to the New World and click the exit button at the bottom right hand of the Europe screen.

It does not happen every time I exit the Europe screen in this way, but once is all it takes. From there on out my units will never cycle, meaning even when the unit is out of movement points it remains selected, even when I skip the unit's turn it remains selected, even when I tell the unit to Sentry, Sleep, Explore, or Go To it remains selected after executing the order.

I am able to select other units with a left click and go into any other screen freely, but when a unit is finished for the turn I have to manually click another. Therefore I only can move the units I remember to move instead of having the game prompt me to, like it is supposed to.

When a unit executes an order and I manually select another unit it is removed from the queue, meaning if I have three units, forfity one of them, then select one of the other two, I can keep pressing "w" to cycle between the active two without the fortified one popping in.

When this happens units also cannot be deleted. Clicking the delete button makes the sound and shows the depressing animation, but does . .. .. .. . all. The delete hotkey is non-functional as well. Similarly, the Clear Specialty button and hotkeys cease function. However, build settlement and join settlement work as expected.

As a result of units being unable to end their turns automatically after executing fortify, explore, etc., when you move the final unit of your turn the end of turn button remains green instead of turning red, which is the usual signal to the player that he has no units left to move.

I am having the same problem. I am not sure what caused it but unit cycling has stopped working. I saved the game and restarted and after a whole bunch of odd event popups, the cycling started working. The popups looked like a bunch of queued notices about waste due to limited warehouse space, what profession a new convert was to take, and notices of my ship being idle in Europe (when it was not).

It seem that something blocks displaying one of these notices and after that the game did not quite know what do do. So all the rest of my notices (several turns worth) were queued and this caused my turns not to end properly.

I will keep a watch on this from now on and see if I can tell what is the event that causes this to start happening.

yeah, i have the same problem. i wonder how long it will take to patch this. its very annoying. the weird think is it doesnt happen every game, but it happens more then i would like. its very annoying.

This happened to me once as well. I'm not sure what triggered it. As mentioned saving and reloading will fix it and it's best to do it immediately rather than keep playing turns by manually selecting units as it will queue up all your messages until you do.

I have observed the same. Saves attached (2 total in the zip file). Save 1 illustrates the bugs described above.

Save 2 illustrates a subsequent turn, in which there was a Pioneer out and ready to build a road. The pioneer had no option to build a road.

This is completely unacceptable behavior that demands a patch immediately. It is completely game-breaking, and as far as I can tell has no way to recover from, and no feasible way to avoid (since one must go to and from Europe frequently).

This needs to be patched and fixed immediately.

Does anyone know enough to come up with an unofficial patch?

(Note that this game was a Hotseat game; the bug is only for Linds, not for Sam)

Attachments

• Colonization-Bugs.zip
    171 KB · Views: 142
I'll join in the chorus on this one. Everything going fine until my first trip back from Europe.
  • unit cycling stops (units can be moved by selecting the unit and moving manually, but "go to" is iffy - worked for the caravel and not for land units)
  • builds complete with no notice (build queue can be changed by entering the city screen and doing it manually - production continues normally otherwise)
  • end-of-turn doesn't show (<shift>+<enter> still ends the turn, but is a pain with unit cycling not working)
  • Founding Father notices do not come up (see below on relaunching the game)
Ship can travel to and from Europe, but I have to watch the mini-map to see when it has returned to the New World and use <F2> to get to it in Europe.

Exiting to the desktop and relaunching/loading a save brings up all of the notices that I missed (I have to click through a bunch of "Return to game" and other choices that didn't come up when they should have), but eventually the game goes back to normal (or what passes for normal, anyway).

[EDIT]
Caravel went to and came back from Europe again with no issues coming up. Purchased a Merchantman, loaded it up and sent it to the New World. As soon as it arrived from Europe, the issues cropped back up.
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Seems that this problem might have something to do with either the tutorial or playing as the English. I started a new game as the Dutch, turned off the tutorial quests as soon as they popped up, and my ship has been traveling back and forth with no issues.
[/EDIT2]

To paraphrase the Bard: "A patch! A patch! My kingdom for a patch!" (And I have the digital download version, so I get to wait longer than everyone else).

Apparently (as another poster beat me to saying, but I didn't see it when I posted) saving when the bug appears, then reloading the save fixes it.

Turns out I think the Worker bug wasn't a bug, it was a Hardy Pioneer (keeps that name even when sent out) without any tools. Not sure what the behavior is supposed to be on that one. (Shouldn't a pioneer add 50 tools when they settle in, and take 50 tools when they leave?) He was called a Hardy Pioneer still, so it was confusing.

This bug is still really annoying, although now there is at least a workaround. Interestingly enough, for the folks debugging this issue, loading the Worker Bug game save from above and playing it, the game thinks there is a ship in Europe and there really is no ship in Europe (for Linds). I am not sure if this is a symptom of the bug that outlasts the quirk which kills the GUI, or if this is something else, but there is still a bug in the save posted for the Worker Bug, which may be a symptom of the problem in this thread, or of a completely different problem.

Yes. This has happened to me once too. I was pissed because I forgot about the ship in port and several turns had passed.

Instead of clicking on "exit" (or pressing ESC), press F1(to bring up the domestic advisor) first and then ESC. That way you should avoid triggering this bug.

At least, this worked for me :)

I get it too...I don't know why it pops up... the only other thing that fixes it (temporarily) is reloading

This is fixed in the unofficial patch. There is a code bug in vanilla which cause this when you are in Europe screen, double-right click a unit on the docks and left click a profession. As soon as you return from Europe screen unit cycling is cactus. I fixed that. :)

Top Bottom