Booga games diar..rhea

boogaboo

Josef Popper 4ever
Hi people!
I came to civ4 after a 2-3 years of no civving, and I love it :)
I play for 3 weeks now, and finished 5 games.
Since I'll be playing a lot (I'm unemployed, possibly forever), I'll use this thread to tell my tale of supremacy.. :mischief:

Now, for my submitted games (what I remember from them):

Game1 (Hof game #13500) {Settler/Duel/Marathon} : My first civ4 game I wanted to finish at any cost... The cost was the most terrible global warming in history.. I barely had a city of size 10 with all the deserts at the end. I was on pangea...

Game2 (Hof game #13528) {Settler/Duel/Marathon} : Was better, after understanding the GW mechanism, but was still quite experimental.. I was still on pangea learning how the borders change, and learning placement of cities so as not to get into domination..

Game3 (Hof game #13564) {Chieftain/Duel/Marathon} : I finally tried lakes, mistakenly on chieftain.. and during this game understood some principles of mapfinder and of which MAP I'm really looking for.. ;} was a nice game of civ learning.

Game4 (Hof game #13583) {Settler/Duel/Marathon} : The booga has become experienced and make the correct decision (so far..) to play on continents with low sea.
This way I can catch more sea, which is not in domination, but is with rich resources!
Perfect it was not, and it gave me some great comparisons of the value of food for a scientist vs the value of a town for commerce.
In this game, I switched from farming to towns a bit after I got my +1 food from biology. It was almost 1000 points far from the Hindi number 1 ;)

Game5 (Hof game #13601) {Settler/Duel/Marathon} : I beat Hindi by farming my way to large cities and future techs. I used mapfinder on quarry, and got marble, but NOT stone. Didn't have stone the whole game, but the continent I was on was 60% of territiry, and I got 3 (!) settlers from huts by scouting it (below 2 I would look for a better start ;) ).
It was also the first time I did the Sid Sushi corp (along with Alum).

This is what I remember from these games.
Notice - I remember more of the 5th game, which ended yesterday, than all the others.. :rolleyes:

Also, I play with no random events, but I will learn them all soon... I hope, to know what I can try and get.

C u laterz :)
Booga. freak.

Well, game6 promo + question .. :
I'm testing 2 competing strategies - "Farming" terrain (game5), and "Towning" terrain (current game, game6).

As I see it, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong (the following assumes correct civics used to max science, "base" means before university and the like) :
Farming = 2 food = 1 scientist = 6 (base) science + 1 population + 3 G.P.
Towning = 8 commerce = 8 (base) science

Since population also equals points, these seem quite equal.
In the long term "towning" seem to be more successful, but it requires the city to have less population (and thus also less production power and population) for long periods until the 8 commerce is finally reached.
"Towning" is also harder to implement in-game, since you always want the city to grow and use all its' tiles ASAP, so 1-2 farming per city is required until food corperations..

With "Farming" you will also get more great people.. meaning great scientists for me, who can in turn build academies much faster, making the "6 science" more like "9 science" earlier than when using "towning".

I think they quite balance up, although farming is much easier to implement and seem to me to have some advantages.

So, what 'cha have 2 say? :crazyeye:

Well, 13629, i.e game6, has been submitted, but it was less successful than game5..
I haven't even reached Future Tech 500, which is a failure for me, but learnt to use the UN to have open borders and +1 trade route. :)
Need 3 players for that though..

The most annoying thing is that I also saw how a forest doesn't grow on a nearby tile if the tile (or the forest?!) has a road on it.. :mad:

Didn't get Global Warming since I'm staying with < 24 sick faces from buildings :) and in some cases, that includes airports :)

My next try, game 7, is farming on chieftain (yes, duel and marathon).

Have fun,
Booga.

Forsets can grow on a road tile, but it is less likely (half chance I think).

You should try the minor gauntlet, it is a chieftain game.

Well, I am not looking for a gauntlet, minor or major, nor quartermaster...
The HoF can stand as a challenge in itself, and I like it that way.
If anything, I sometimes think of doing the GOTM, or even playing vs my cousin on the web..

Currently, I'm satisfied with my challenges.
Game 7 {Chieftain/Duel/Marathon} has started after many disappointing huts.
At turn 18 I had 3 cities. (2 settlers found).
Got stone and marble on continent, but no gold or ivory.

I'm now back from a new-year's eve with my family, and gonna continue where I left off - turn 380 :)

2 things bothered me:
1. The japanese aren't trading techs! Damn them, I stole Iron working!! :lol:
2. My capital was too far north, had to relocate it 1 city down.

Other than that, I must know if I can kill the Japs and still be able to build the UN later or must I keep them alive (it's me + japan + arabs) ???

Please help on the UN question, dear civvers ;)

Booga.

Gauntlets are fun and you get great tips in the threads too! I improved my game massively after I started trying them out. I'm not too competitive normally but I did manage a 3rd place once!

Happy New Year as well, it's 3 months away for me ;)

Well, I am not looking for a gauntlet, minor or major, nor quartermaster...
The HoF can stand as a challenge in itself, and I like it that way.
If anything, I sometimes think of doing the GOTM, or even playing vs my cousin on the web..

Currently, I'm satisfied with my challenges.
Game 7 {Chieftain/Duel/Marathon} has started after many disappointing huts.
At turn 18 I had 3 cities. (2 settlers found).
Got stone and marble on continent, but no gold or ivory.

I'm now back from a new-year's eve with my family, and gonna continue where I left off - turn 380 :)

2 things bothered me:
1. The japanese aren't trading techs! Damn them, I stole Iron working!! :lol:
2. My capital was too far north, had to relocate it 1 city down.

Other than that, I must know if I can kill the Japs and still be able to build the UN later or must I keep them alive (it's me + japan + arabs) ???

Please help on the UN question, dear civvers ;)

Booga.

If you kill japan you will need to liberate a colony to get the UN, IMHO.

If you kill japan you will need to liberate a colony to get the UN, IMHO.

Does this mean.. that I can play vs only 1 AI and liberate a colony to have the UN?! (OMG?!)

Well, game7 (#13702) is submitted and is a number 1 ! :p
As usual, I was using tons of spies to destroy enemy forges and intelligence buildings.
The Arabs were modern by game end, but still posed no real threat, since we had only one war and traded all the time ;)
The Japs were dead after the decisions for trade route and free trade at the UN were passed.
I should have built the UN, and automatically destroy them there and then, since the UN decisions went on ;)

This time, at game8, whose mapfinder I will start in 2-3 hours, I'll raise the difficulty (once again).
I'll also look for someone as nice as the Arabs to be my 2nd enemy ;)

Booga. :)

Good to see you in HOF-IV boogaboo! Welcome back!

And big hugs to the slug!!
There was an organism group named slug in "unnatural selection".. a game :)

How r u slug?
I'm doing a monopoly variation.. nearing end of programming and start of alpha version online in a month or 2..

I hate the last part of this sentence:
"Meditation brings wisdom, lack of meditation brings ignorance" ;)

Well, game8 (#13741) is submitted :)
I was having an odd start - the Indians were first to found budahism, since I had 3 cities already (yep - 2 settlers) but no money.
When I was going to pottery, I decided I have too many warriors, and I can just take over Delhi. So I did. Thus I became a buddahist and killed the Indians.
I thought "here went my right to do the UN", since I was left only with the Arabs, meaning 2 teams, but I could build the UN later on, to my surprise!
I stopped sending spies for the last 200 turns just to see the effect -
They (Arabs) build like maniacs and I also noticed that passing the 24 bad health from population does NOT cause a Global Warming attempt! (there have been many turns with 24-48 bad health from buildings of all)
I think only when the number of trials actually reaches 1 (not 0.5) does a GW attempt is made!
My first and last GW this game was at turn 1495 :)
The Arabs possesed coal plants and factories all around by then, and the number must have exceeded 48 (23 mine + 25 they had).
They were at the last few techs before FT.

One of the positives of this game was the land - I got a 65% continent, and near the arabs, there was a 6% island ;)
Yep, no war with the arabs. "Just give me your fish and crabs and I go rest till turn 1500" ;)

Next, Noble!
Booga.

well, game8 is being claimed as a reload.. probably my mistake..
I'll have to do warlord all over again.. ;)

I'm much smarter now at this 9th game, and it is my first classic game -
I'm gonna analize what I did there, especially the start I chose, after I finish it.
Now I just started my 5-great-persons-GA, at turn 820.
I can have one more GA (hopefully..) after that.
The Arabs have FINALLY declared war, about 50 turns before I wanted to, but the forces were enough to destroy mecca, and take over the precious resources and last land area bits. :D
They started the war when I was at future tech 7, so it still caused some unhappiness, but now at F.T.13-14 I'm finally at a stage where I'm buying my remaining buildings, after which the only thing left is F.T. research and espionage.
They have no resources I really want and I'll be on 45 of 48 pollution, so they r gonna suffer the wrath of my spies at full steam this time around. :)

I may have done some not so accurate stuff at late techs, but the start was really good, and I think this is gonna be a GREAT game, not just good, and that's y it's a classic.
Yep, your children will watch it's replays all their life stunned by the brilliance of the act.
Ok, enough ego licking on Yom Kipur.
I must sleep.

Booga.
Freak.

Well, I submitted game 9 (#13812), with almost 28000 points :p
Since many duel games should be like this game's framework, this is infact a sort of duel games guide (for 2050AD milking ;) )
I now looked what I can see from the replay and set as a standard for me, so I know what pace my games r going and where they should head for ;)

============================

** In [] are useful comments and strategy. I'll try to minimize.
** World wonders : It is important to push as many of them to 2 cities, otherwise you may reach 2050AD after your cultural victory ;)
Some of them were iportant (Marked with * ), and some I just did for score and could have finished before had they been important (Marked with (*) )
The Great Wall was built by the Arabs lol.
** National wonders : Petty the replay doesn't show them.
I did MOAI even before the Great Lighthouse, and it is important to put oxford university in the capital for the burocracy effect.
** The game was on HoF mod, Noble, Duel world, with the Indians and Arabs.

Here:

4000 BC - Build City 1.
[Research budahism is not a must, but I usually do it so it won't be formed in another continent.
Build warriors to scout and prepare to attack the capital on your continent, Delhi in my case, when it reaches size 2 and can be captured]
3715 BC - Found (and convert to) Budahism.
3310 BC - Indians destroyed, meaning Delhi was captured! My 2nd city :)
2460 BC - Adopt Org. Religion
2010 BC - Adopt Her. Rule
1930 BC - * The Great Lighthouse
1840 BC - * Stonehenge
1760 BC - Build City 3.
1570 BC - Build City 4.
1440 BC - Build City 5.
1340 BC - Mahabodhi (from first great prophet).
1310 BC - * Oracle
1250 BC - * Pyramids
1240 BC - Adopt Representation + Serfdom.
1130 BC - * Temple of Artemis
870 BC - Build City 6.
730 BC - Build City 7.
[Wait for Maus of Maus to have my great person start a golden age!]
730 BC - * Maus of Maus
720 BC - Start G.A.1
680 BC - Build City 8.
600 BC - * Parthenon
500 BC - * Collosus
380 BC - * Hanging Gardens
250 BC - Start G.A.2
230 BC - * Statue of Zeus
190 BC - Build City 9.
150 BC - * The Great Library
90 BC - Build City 10.
20 BC - * Hagia Sophia
20 AD - Build City 11.
140 - Build City 12.
240 - Build City 13.
320 - Start G.A.3
350 - Build City 14.
360 - * Notre Dame
410 - Build City 15.
410 - Adopt Beurocracy.
410 - (*) Apostolic Palace.
510 - Build City 16.
510 - * Chichen Itza
530 - * Ankor Wat
540 - (*) Swedagon Paya
670 - * University of Sankore
705 - * Spiral Minaret
760 - Adopt Free Market.
890 - * Taj Mahal (which starts G.A.4)
1125 - * Versai
1150 - * Statue of Liberty
[In 1250 and 1360 I built cities 17 and 18 on 2 islands, meaning.. start thinking of exploring as soon as astronomy lets you, and of city positioning on the other continent so that your domination limit will stay ok, but not leaving the resources you will need for sushi (and later also coal for Alum Co)]
1386 - * Kremlin
1438 - * Broadway
1454 - * Rock N' Roll
1500 - * Cristo Redentor
1502 - Adopt Caste System + Environmentalism
1510 - * Hollywood
1528 - Found Alum Co.
1532 - * U.N. (Use for : +1 trade route per city yey!! + free trade yeyyy!! + no nukes man, it causes Global warming, use a knife!!!!!!)
1554 - * Pentagon (less important for lower difficulties)
1596 - Found SUSHI CO.
[I used sushi gradually - only for cities that could grow much before being stopped by hapiness. Later, with future tech advances, I started pumping them for all cities.]
1708 - Adopt Free Market
[Adopt Free Market when health is good enough, probably from genetics and starting future techs]
1710 - Start G.A.5
1744 - (*) Three Gorges Dam
[I don't build factories due to global warming, so this isn't important for me]
[1755 - The Arabs unexpectedly attack before I wanted to attack..this caused several delays I'll talk about probably in my next post. I remember being only at future tech 7, and half sushied, so it caused great distress to my nation! I took the territory I wanted now, although I needed to have 2 more wars later on because of a stupid global warming calculation mistake..]
1787 - Adopt Universal Sufferage (begin buying frenzy!)
[Adopt Universal Sufferage when you can stop frantic research of future techs, and can start spending your money for buying the buildings left to complete your empire head to toe, including just conquered cities and islands. Also watch out not to make the Kremlin obsolete while you are still buying buildings]
1801 - Start G.A.6
[in 1849 and 1863 I started 2 wars - in order to destroy my own polluting buidings, I gave the city, then sabotaged the polluting buildings, then went to war and took the city again.. this was my main . .. .. .. .up this game.]
Jan. 1885 - Adopt Representation + Pacifism
[buying is (finally) OVER, return to science with a vengence - with pacifism - get more great people, and put all the great scientists u get to build academies in as many of your cities]
Jul. 1907 - (*) Eiffel
[I do this wonder only when I'm sure no third city will get legendary on me because of it.. and the sistine chapel is a big NO for me..]
Jan. 2015 - Start G.A.7 + Adopt Free Religion
[it's a bit tricky and requires some luck to get this G.A., but once I have it and/or most of the academies, you no longer want more and more great people, but the 10% on science, so free religion gives a bit more science than the other options]

Tomorrow I will detail more and continue in the next post.
Booga - Great Freak !

2 more subjects I want to describe here - Global warming and avoiding domination :

Global warming : this is a major "feature" I tried to avoid while maximizing science. I thought the limit for duel world is 24 bad health from buildings, which means 0.5 global warming attempt per turn, and I understood that it rounds up (a lie!!).
In game8, I noticed that passing 24 bad health from buildings does not cause any global warming, and decided to go for less than 48 bad health this time.
I did airports and labs, 4 forges and (1) Ironworks.
However, I messed the calculation this game, and ended up very alarmed when Global warming arived and I discovered I had 51 bad health...
I reduced this to 48 by giving the city, sabotaging the buildings and opening a war to occupy it..
48 still rounds to 1, so I kept on getting global warmings..
I then had to start a second war to destroy 2 more buildings and be safe...

On 46 pollution, I keep it via my spies who destroy forges, drydocks and factories the moment they are built by the Arabs :)
I had no more global warming, and it proved to me that 48 is infact the number of bad health to keep away from.

Avoiding domination : A big issue with many tricks.
I'll describe a few ways to avoid domination -
1. Give a city : The last resort. You can only give a city the AI is willing to accept, and that means a city which is not too far from their control, and preferably with a land link.
2. Liberate THEIR city thus giving the AI a few more tiles (for some limited time until those tiles are taken again) : In lower levels specifically, many times you get to a situation where a foreign city wants to switch to your side.
If that happens, you can liberate it, and the AI will gain the radius-1 tiles of that city with 100% :)
If the foreign is close to switching to your side but not there yet, you can speed up the process by making MORE culture and inserting your culture by spies.
3. Build a city and liberate it! : My favorite -
The AI build their cities sparesly, and many times you can take a tile near the AI where you can "push" a city. Build the city and liberate it to the AI :)
They will be happier, and you will avoid the domination limit without losing anything (well, a settler ;) )

you have problems with AI building cities sparesly because you play on a too low level.
Try emperor, and have no problem with this.

I'm rather proud of my latest victory (time on emperor) as you can see :lol:

you have problems with AI building cities sparesly because you play on a too low level.
Try emperor, and have no problem with this.

I will get to emperor, after I get number 1 in all lower difficulties on {Duel, Time}.
Try a duel world and wait to see if I can beat you ;)

Game10, #13868, has been submitted.
I had a 65% continent, with most resources.
It was hard to keep resources on the other continent due to domination, so about 200-250 turns to end I had to give back one of my 2 cities there :(
A fish had his revenge.
All in all, a good number 1.

Game 11, #13932, has been submitted.
It was at prince level and included an almost wipeout of my enemy who was getting near cultural victory, and was teching fast before that. :{

I understood a few things about towns on higher levels.. even with sea, I still need their commerce.. mainly to tech faster at start and mid stages, but also for the economy and expansion stage.

Also, placing new cities in a position once-occupied by a legendary city causes specific cultural problems I leart to know ;)

It was NOT a great game of mine, still it ocupies number 1 well, so I won't repeat it for now :p

On to next level!
Monarch that is :)

Booga out.

Top Bottom