Kislev army list

Ahriman

Tyrant
Kislev.
Spoiler :
Fantasy Poland/Russia.
Excellent light cavalry, and horse archers, some with javelins.
Beast-type monster affinity.
Less tech access than more "civilised" human factions.
Medicore infantry, foot archers.
Very limited magic.
Tundra terrain affinities.

Sources:
Some good stuff in:
http://www.warfareeast.co.uk/main/Poland.htm

Even better:
http://www.strike-to-stun.com/WFB/Kislev/Kislev01.htm

Some great stuff in here too (near the end) for Kislev heroes and magic items and ice magic.
Come back to this link when designing these.

More stuff
http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/kislev/assets/KislevAlliesArmyList.pdf

No access to:
Steampower tech, flight tech, Steel tech, Economics tech, Imperial Roads tech, raw magic tech, winds of magic tech, lore of X techs. Handgunner, pikemen, war chariot, crossbowman.

Unique kislev tech or trait; Arctic nomads. Gives +1 food from tundra, +1 food from ice.

Standard units (UU art only):
Warrior
Archer warband
Spearman warband
Scout troop
Catapult
Supply train
Galley
Trireme
Caravel
Privateer
Frigate
Galleon
Cannon.

UUs: (All hammer costs same as base unit unless otherwise specified).

Kislev War wagon (National UU, replaces current war wagon).
Requires Rifling tech. Requires horses. Strength 14, 2 moves, does not get terrain bonuses. Cannot use metal weapons. Armored unit. Gets chariot terrain penalties. 20% withdraw chance. Does NOT have blitz.
[My understanding is that a War Wagon is basically a horse-drawn APC, full of gunners? No need for steam power]
Hammer cost: 220.

Beastmaster. Same as Amazon beastmaster, but with tundra rather than jungle affinity. (requires monster bonding tech, has beast taming). Can be built, or upgrades from Ranger.
Placeholder art: any FFH beastmaster with bears.

Ungol horsemen (replaces Ancient Cavalry), same as ancient cavalry, but +1 first strike chance.

Winged Lancer regiment (replaces knight). Same as knight, but -1 attack strength, +1 first strike.

Druzhina Regiment (replaces light cavalry), Same as light cavalry but +1 first strike.

Ungol Horsearcher Warband (replaces horsearcher warband) Same as horsearcher, but gains flanking bonus vs melee units, -1 defense.

Gospodar cavalry. (replaces cavalry). Same as cavalry, but starts with Shock promotion.
Placeholder art: Russian cossacks.

Strzelcy Warband (replaces chariot). Strength 5/3. Missile cavalry unit. 3 moves. Can use metal weapons. Same terrain penalties as light cavalry. +25% vs melee units. Has ranged archery attack like longbowmen (damages only 1 unit, max damage 25%).
These are mounted crossbowmen (so use a horse model, not a chariot model).
So, they're basically chariots, but with missile cavalry class, and a ranged bombardment (so they can move, bombard, and move again).

Gospodar Axeman warband (replaces axeman warband) same as axeman warband.

Varjazi Swordsmen regiment (replaces militia swordsman) Same as militia swordsman.
Voevodo Spearmen regiment (replaces militia spearman) same as militia spearmen.
Tysiatski Bowman regiment (replaces militia archers) same as militia archers.

EITHER:
Gospodar Bowmen Regiment (replaces longbowmen). Same as Longbowmen BUT no hill defence bonus, no city defence bonus, instead gets +20% forest/ancient forest attack and defence.
These guys are skirmishy/ambushy bowman, like many/most slavic bowman.
This also acts as a complement to a cavalry heavy army; lots of cavalry are weak in forests, these guys can defend stacks in forest tiles.

OR
Kossar Regiment. (replaces Longbowmen) Archery unit. Strength 5, 1 move, can use metal weapons, 1 first strike, +10% city attack, +10% hills strength, +10% city defense, can get quality bows. Hybrid axemen/bowmen.

Priest of Taal. (National UU, limit 3). Requires Fanaticism tech, Monster breeding tech. Strength 8, 2 moves. Cannot use metal weapons. Starts with Lore of Beasts magic I, lore of beast magic 2. No channeling ability (starts with all the magic it needs).
Placeholder art: FFH druid.
Hammer cost: 220 hammers.

Mercenary wizard. (national UU, limit 6)
Requires: mercenary contracts tech.
Strength 4, 1 move. Adept unit.
No channeling. Starts with any 2 (at random) of the level 1 elemental magics and lore of x magics, and 1 (at random) level 2 lore of x magic or elemental magic. [Can't learn any more; kislev can't research any magic techs).
Costs +1 gold upkeep.
Crazed: 2% chance per turn that the unit will turn barbarian.
Hammer cost: 90.

Boyar guard (replaces Royal Guard). Same as royal guard.

Sibyrian Hunter troop (replaces Hunter skirmish troop), See Hunter/Ranger thread.
Sibyrian Ranger troop (replaces Ranger skirmish troop) See Hunter/Ranger thread.

Warhawks of Miksa (replaces troll), strength 4, aircraft fighter, range 6, can bombard (no collateral), can intercept. Hammer cost 120, builds 50% faster with aerie.
Placeholder art: Hawk.

Winter wolf pack (replaces giant). Strength 7+2cold, 3 moves, immune to cold, +15% tundra strength.
Requires breeding ground.

Nice. If you need some slavic sounding names I can raid MTW, but here are some of the top of my head:
Chernye Klobuki: 'Black Hoods' Russian Auxillary tribal CAvalry.
Varjazi: Rus household troops.
Voi: Northern Russian (Novgorodian) Skirmishers
Voevodo/Tysiatski: High ranking houshold troops.
Rycraz: Polish Knight.
Polk: Novgorodian militia infantry from the Northern Crusades.

Included some more names. I like Rycraz better than Boyars. Polish names are cool :)
Yeah, I already hit up MTW. Many of them are "Polish nobles" or "Lithuanian archers" or other such boring things.

To get the 'cultural' names in MTW you need to go to the unitdetail popup. (Im talking about MTW2, dont know if MTW has that) A bit annoying, but it makes sense, in a battle you can easily see what unit it is. Polish Kinghts is more informative for the average gamer then rycraz. Unless if your like me who likes to call all of my units by the 'cultural' name.

Ahh, forgot that, I hadn't played it for ages; I just went into the Custom battle section and looked at the unit names there.

Yeah, cultural names ftw; I think it adds a ton of flavor.

Cultural names are nice. All my friends think Im strange when I call my byzantine cavalry in warhammer ancient battles 'Kavallarioi' not cavalry. If im going to play a historic wargame, I want to call my stuff the real name.

Back on topic: PL, do you need any help with XML? I am working on my mod but that can go on hold for a bit. I still need to do some more design work on the buildings, civics, religions, corps, and techs. If anyone is interested, I can post my alpha version to get some feed back.

great link to the kislev army list there Ahriman :) that will be perfect to base the kislevites off of.

one thing you absolutely MUST keep in mind when we design kislev is that they are at the fronteir of the chaos war, which means they need to defend against the full power of the chaos hords. this means they need a few more defensive bonuses, and particularly anti deamon units.

@ ajidica: if you would like to help out with some XML work, you could give me a hand with coding kislev?

I would think that any any anti-chaos units should be limited to their religious units and heroes; nothing about the core kislev army strikes me as being very defensive or very anti-chaos.
They will need to have a defensive playstyle in the Warhammer map (once you make the chaos scary enough), but that doesn't mean they need defensive units or anti-chaos units.
They fight chaos by necessity, because its next door, not because they're particularly good at it.

Note though that as it stands chaos doesn't get militia spearmen, and in my version the chaos factions get offensive chaos warriors instead of defensive pikemen (check the updating existing factions thread), so they will be very vulnerable to Kislev light cavalry, which are their speciality.
So; kislev will defend against incoming chaos hordes by attacking them with light cavalry repeatedly to whittle their stacks down.

I think also that by design they should be UNABLE to hold off the hordes of chaos without assistance from the Empire. A human player should have to get good relations with the Empire, and open borders, and continually bribe them to join in their wars against kurgans etc.

Note though that as it stands chaos doesn't get militia spearmen, and in my version the chaos factions get offensive chaos warriors instead of defensive pikemen (check the updating existing factions thread), so they will be very vulnerable to Kislev light cavalry, which are their speciality.
So; kislev will defend against incoming chaos hordes by attacking them with light cavalry repeatedly to whittle their stacks down.

thats a good compromise :)

Szlachta were polish nobles. I thought about that for the knights, but decided to go with Boyars initially and then changed to Rycrazi. They'd basically fulfill the same unit purpose.

@Pl, I cant do the Kislev army xml until teusday at earliest, I am gone this weekend and have a test on teusday.

I'll do it. No need to wait, and I appreciate your intention.

Yeah, there is never enough time to do everything we want to do. That is why there is caffine!

*whistles*

The Kislevite armies are purely defensive, they don’t often travel into Troll country, and they never go into the wastes. Kislev doesn’t even have a standing army, except for the Tsarina’s troops, its armies are really citizen soldiers organized by district, or area or whatever into Pulks which are called up in times of war (every male in Kislev is expected to fight should the Northerners get annoying).

The Kislevites themselves are not one ethnic group but three (or two depending on canon). the Gospordars are the most southerly and are the dominant group the Tsarina is one of them and Kislev and Praag are there cities.

The Ungols are the original inhabitants of the land, who were driven north by the invasion of the Gospordars (they hate them with a passion), they had their city Erengrad burnt from under them by the Tsarina’s father and it currently languishes under a military occupation.

The Ungols are nomads, and are mostly situated on the borders quite often quite far into Troll Country, they do the majority of the fighting against Chaos. It’s only when times get really tough and a Warlord of Chaos is on the run that they return to Erengrad and ask for the Gospordars help who are nomadic.

The funny thing about Kislev is that the South of the country almost never gets touched directly by big war bands, smaller ones slip through and monsters but otherwise it’s only during the Great Incursions that Chaos makes any headway against them. The North is held by the Ungols who are peerless cavalrymen and the fortresses of the Gospordars which are built typically of logs with room for a great many horses.

Army List:

Agree on Warwagon – (probably should get something from Steampower, the Dwarves are friendly to Kislev and have from memory put all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff on the Warwagons
Agree on Beast master Beastmaster (kind of)
Disagree on Boyar Regiment Knight: Replace with Winged Lancers (they are Knights, not light cavalry)
Disagree on Winged Lancers – Light Cavalry: Replace with Ungol Horseman (used to be in there)
Agree on Ungol Horse Archers – Horse Archers
Disagree on Cossack – Cavarly: Replace with Gospordar Cavalry (Gospordar are modelled on Cossacks, Ungols are modelled on Mongols etc)
Disagree on Cossars as just axemen and Gospordar Longbowman: Cossars are both axeman and longbowman, combine them, Kislevite armies do not use bows on foot (Cossars are a misnomer, they are actually combined ethnic units of Ungols and Gospodar; the only units in Kislev which have both).
Meh the three flavour names, because we don’t have anything else to call them are cool.

A note on Kislevite magic, they don’t have any, the only magic caster aside from Imperial Wizards visiting is the Tsarina herself (and she is powerful enough to call up a storm which can freeze a whole army to death if she gets annoyed, she is also the only ice mage I know of). They do however have Priests of Ursun and I’m guessing Priests of Taal as well since he is worshipped in the south and the west.

Ursun Priests should be the stand in for casters excepting the Tsarina (and yes she is the only mage I know of in the whole history of Kislev). Since they are magic resistant, can shape change into bears, ride bears, can regenerate, can heal others and used to have some anti-demon thingy from memory. Ursun for some reason or another is extremely hostile to the Chaos gods, from memory they helped the people of Kislev forget him.

The Boyar’s of Kislev provide a Royal Guard for the Tsarina (they also tend to lead commoners in battle not fight in groups of there peers). Your average other human noble does not have a patch on Boyars in battle… they tend to fight from a very early age alongside there men.

The rest, meh, warhhawk why not :)

i agree on most of what masada said (welcome back to the forums as well masada :p)

but on the note of kislev magic, even though the tzarina is *technically* the only ice mage in warhammer, the civilization as a whole will be unbalanced without *some* form of magical counter, and ice magic is pretty fitting. we could simply steeply reduce the national limit for such ice mages to 3 snow maidens and 1 Ice Witch (but compensate by making ice magic very strong?)

Top Bottom