[CIV] Portugal (Version 1.00)

jaldaen

Prince
Hello all you Civilization IV: Colonization fans!

This mod adds the Portugal Civilization into the game along with two new leaders: Mem de Sa and Dom Pedro II. This is meant for play with vanilla Colonization, but it should not be too difficult to add to other mods (I put all the changed text at the top of the XML files for easy access).

GOALS:

1) This Portugal mod is meant to work with vanilla Col2 with the minimum of changes.
2) Although Portugual's history lends itself to conquest and trade, the Spanish and Dutch already have those niches in this game. So the Portuguese trait needed to be something that would lend itself to a unique playing style. I choose exploration because it is one of the FF categories and I think each of the other civs lends itself to the other categories (Dutch: Trade; French Religion; English: Political; and Spanish: Military).

SUMMARY:

The Portuguese Trait:

Mariners
Free Promotions: Navigation I & II.

I choose this trait because I wanted Portugal to be focused on naval exploration and trading.

Starting Units:

Free Colonist Pioneer & Seasoned Scout Soldier.

I changed the starting unit to include a Seasoned Scout because it gives the Portuguese a slight advantage in early exploration.

Leaders:

Mem de Sa's Trait is Militaristic (Free Promotion: Grenadier; I might change this to a unique trait, but this does fit his backgrounds as a pacifier of the enemies surrounding the Brazilian colony).

Dom Pedro II's Trait is Educator (+100% education; He was renowned for his interest in education and although it has no early game benefit it does make training a lot faster once you get to the mid- to late game)

Most of the names for settlements are Brazilian, but I do have non-Brazilian cities included at the end of the city list. If people prefer that they be among the first cities, then let me know and I'll move them up.

FEEDBACK

I am always looking for feedback. This is my first mod and so I'm sure there can be improment be it in the form of tweaking the traits of the Civ and leaders. So if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, then please let me know in this thread and I'll address them ASAP. Thanks ;)

INSTALLATION:

1) Download the latest version of "Portugal" mod here.

2) Unrar/unzip the mod folder "Portugal" in the mod folder:

C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods

3) Start Colonization.

4) Press the Advanced button and then the Load a Mod button. Select the Portugal mod from the list and then press the Load button. The game will now load the Portugal mod and you’ll be able to explore the new world with Mem da Sa and/or Dom Pedro II at your convenience.

CREDITS:

Design:
Jaldaen

Leaderhead Credits:
Amra's Franz Josef
Ekmek's Dom Pedro II

Fonts and Flags Credits:
johny smith

Additional Credits:
Dale (for letting me use his AoDII files as the basis for my Portugal files)

Version 1.01 Proposed Changes:

I'm still working on this mod and I am considering a change to the Portuguese trait and starting unit.

I'm thinking of dropping the +25% from first contact and instead giving the Portuguese a Seasoned Scout Soldier. This will solve a couple problems:

1) The +25% gold at first contact was a nice trait, but it's benefit varied a lot from map to map and especially from small maps to large ones. I think it would be fine if I could scale it with map size, but I have no idea how to do that so I think I'd prefer to drop it entirely.

2) Although it is not uncommon for a seasoned scout to be among the first few immigrants on your docks this allow the Portuguese to have one ready to go with the purchase of horses. This is especially useful when a seasoned scout does not show up right away at your dock (which has happened to me a few times).

3) And most importantly, it fits with the theme of exploration that I wanted the Portuguese to have.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions based off of these thoughts, then please feel free to post them here.

You might want to look at this. I made here.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7295926&postcount=122

I know the leaderheads are different, but you are missing the font files in Assets/res/fonts. They are needed for the symbol that shows over the Native Village when you build a mission. I think Dale has it included now in his mod if you want to look at it there as well.

It is nice to have some different traits for the leaders.:)

Yeah those are now included. :)

I know the leaderheads are different, but you are missing the font files in Assets/res/fonts. They are needed for the symbol that shows over the Native Village when you build a mission. I think Dale has it included now in his mod if you want to look at it there as well.

Thanks for the heads up... I copied over the Res font files... and changed the artdefines file to font button 7. Is there anything else I need to change?

It is nice to have some different traits for the leaders.:)

Thanks... as I said above there'll be a couple changes in the next version including the res font files ;)

Nothing else that you need to change.

But I would recommend some new button is all without the Civilization 4 border around them for all of the things being added. I can help if you need it.

But I would recommend some new button is all without the Civilization 4 border around them for all of the things being added. I can help if you need it.

Any help you would like to offer I would like to accept ;)

Btw... I'll be adding you to the credits for the fonts. Thanks! ;)

P.S.: Mem de Sa's button has brown hair, but the leaderhead has white... would you be able to fix that or tell me how to fix that?

I think this is you want...;)

Attachments

• Mem_de_Sa.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 278
Someone mentioned in another thread that they'd like to see a more historically accurate flag and color for the Portuguese.

Since both blue and white are already taken I was thinking Red (Dark Red is too dark) might work since the Portugeuse flag of the colonial times had red in it. The question is what to put at its center. Should it have a single blue shield with white dots?

Anyway I'm not an art guy, but if someone wants to put this together for me, then let me know and I'll put it into the next version of the mod that'll come out this weekend.

Thanks ;)

I will look into when I get the chance about buttons. The only thing I believe that is important in my opinion about the buttons is to having them match colonization versus civilization style.

If you look at the ones I made for the Age of Discovery II the idea was to have them match with the rest of the buttons from the game. Or at least attempt to make them look not as they are custom made, and more or less look like the rest of the game.

And with the symbol of Portugal same case to me just making it fit in is one, but being more accurate is always better. If you change the color scheme of the button for the civilization though I think you need to change the colors in font files to match.

Look at the leader buttons I did in game if you get a chance please. I also left a photoshop file in the attachment that I pointed to if anyone wants or can work with it. I will look more into this later just busy at the moment is all.

I will look into when I get the chance about buttons. The only thing I believe that is important in my opinion about the buttons is to having them match colonization versus civilization style.

Thanks ;)

If you look at the ones I made for the Age of Discovery II the idea was to have them match with the rest of the buttons from the game. Or at least attempt to make them look not as they are custom made, and more or less look like the rest of the game.

Actually I noticed something while messing around with the colors:

In the ArtDefines file for both Dale and my mods says for Portugal_Europe:

<CivilizationArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_PORTUGAL_EUROPE</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilizations/Colonization_Civilizations_Leaders.dds,7,11</Button>
etc...

This gives the Spanish King's crowned and colored flag (yellow), not a Portuguese colored one, which should be purple in the case of Dale's AoEII and I don't know what color for mine... maybe green or I could go with purple too ;)

And with the symbol of Portugal same case to me just making it fit in is one, but being more accurate is always better. If you change the color scheme of the button for the civilization though I think you need to change the colors in font files to match.

I changed the Portuguese color to White and with your decal it shows up as a white flag with more red shields inside, which is not bad for now, but definately something to fix later. What I'd really want is to have is a white flag with five dotted blue shields in the form of a cross at the center of the flag... that would be perfect ;)

Look at the leader buttons I did in game if you get a chance please. I also left a photoshop file in the attachment that I pointed to if anyone wants or can work with it. I will look more into this later just busy at the moment is all.

I really need to get myself photoshop ;)

Unfortunately, changing the English to another color (like Red) than white makes their flag come out wrong... I'll have to figure out how to fix that problem. Can you make the decal the white corners of the flag and do it that way? So the underlying color is red and that forms the cross.

Just to be more specific about the Spanish flag bug...

I'm not talking about the unit flags, they are fine. I'm talking about the color of the portuguese king's flag button when you speak to him in the diplomatic screen. Mine is the Spanish king's yellow. It is in the upper left-hand corner and I think its that color because of the code I just posted is the same for the Spanish King.

Ya I see what you are saying. I did not fix that as well. I am going to look over this now and let you know what I can do.

How about these 2 for Portugal?

The portugal colony one works and looks awesome!

Unfortunately, the portugal king one needs to be purple because I tried making the king white too, but it makes him orange instead. The other option would be to create a white_king color like England has, but I think purple is fine for now.

Btw... could you make the blue shields a flagDECAL? That would make the portuguese flag perfect ;)

PS: Thanks a bunch! Your help is greatly appreciated ;)

Okay I fixed the England issue by returning them to WHITE and adding in a WHITE_AND_BLUE playercolor. I have also Fixed the King's color by adding in WHITE_KING... So the only thing needed now is the portugal colony decal! ;)

I am working on something now with the player colors making one for each civ now. And have make a decal already will send up in a little bit.

I am working on something now with the player colors making one for each civ now. And have make a decal already will send up in a little bit.

Jonny I just fixed the player colors as mentioned above... and they work perfectly... I realized I could just add new playercolors in ;)

Hmmm... flagdecal... That is the final piece of the puzzle and then Portugal shall live!

Top Bottom