A couple of points about Road to War units

kiwitt

Road to War Modder
Excellent work Dale. It is a briliiant Mod which allows minor tweaking for those who want to, like myself.

1) Air Transport

Medium, Heavy and Modern Armour should not be air-transportable. These need to be transported via sea as they are now.

2) Land Units should be based on their "real-life" equivalents of Divisions, Brigades of Regiments and given the appropriate combat ratings for these.

a) Anti-Tank units used in attack is not realistic. These should be defense only units. Like machine Guns in Civ 4 vanilla.
b) Artillery is too powerful. We did not have Artillery divisions, maybe brigades or regiments.

3) Sea Units need to be tweaked. e.g. A Battleship should have twice the strength of a cruiser. A destroyer half the strength of a cruiser.

I will be analysing the unit tables in more detail to see where I can tweak the settings.

Nearly finished my CIV4UnitInfos.xml file changes.

1) I will remove the Air transport option for the buildings xml file for all units.

2) Tanks units have been changed and combat range is used opposed to speed to determine moves as movement should be strategic not tactical. However I have used Gun,Armor and Speed to determine combat ratings, which are used tactically.

2a) Anti-Tanks units are now "defensive only", like Anti-Air

Considering also tank destroyers as well. Considering their poor showing in battles but their strength in defence.

2b) Left Artillery as is but strengthened opponents

3) Gave battleships 100% vs Carrier, Cruiser, Destroyer and Frigates also increased the withdrawal chances of the small units progressively. Left combat rating as is so they can still be affected by aircraft.

Additionally I looked at the ranges of Fighters and Bombers. These have been halved to reflect the fact they have to return to base after each mission. Bombing rates have also been changed to reflect the higher bomb loads of "Lancasters (10,000kg) vs Ju.88 (2,000kg). The Me 109 is now limited to combat as far as London from French Coast (like in real life)

I'll post my file soon

Nearly finished my CIV4UnitInfos.xml file changes.

1) I will remove the Air transport option for the buildings xml file for all units.

2) Tanks units have been changed and combat range is used opposed to speed to determine moves as movement should be strategic not tactical. However I have used Gun,Armor and Speed to determine combat ratings, which are used tactically.

2a) Anti-Tanks units are now "defensive only", like Anti-Air

Considering also tank destroyers as well. Considering their poor showing in battles but their strength in defence.

2b) Left Artillery as is but strengthened opponents

3) Gave battleships 100% vs Carrier, Cruiser, Destroyer and Frigates also increased the withdrawal chances of the small units progressively. Left combat rating as is so they can still be affected by aircraft.

Additionally I looked at the ranges of Fighters and Bombers. These have been halved to reflect the fact they have to return to base after each mission. Bombing rates have also been changed to reflect the higher bomb loads of "Lancasters (10,000kg) vs Ju.88 (2,000kg). The Me 109 is now limited to combat as far as London from French Coast (like in real life)

I'll post my file soon

Sounds like good changes.

Anti-tank gun attack ability annoy me alot.

Also some japanese bombers can attack USA/Canada from their main island thats not very realistic.

BTW: Is there possible to give more combat strenght to finnish infantry? In real life they were not that weak (combat 5 while russia 15)

Thanks for that.

RE: "Is there possible to give more combat strenght to finnish infantry?" not without increasing all lesser powers infantry as well

Note: The Mod is primarily focused on Major Powers and their units have the unique characteristics.

Refreshing my knowledge about tank movement recently, the Divisional commanders were often told to wait for the infantry to catch up in the early part of the war

*** U S E A T O W N R I S K ***

Here is the file I am currently testing.

Note 1: If you want to use it, make a copy of the original "CIV4UnitInfos.xml" file in the Road to War Mod directory at save it in a secure place.

Note 2: It is based on Dale's RtW Utlimate Edition Mod. I do not know it it will work with "Retail Edition"

Note 3: Most changes are implemented as I described above.

Major Changes:

Infantry
German Improved Infantry have been increased to 3 moves. Considering reducing the cost of infantry significantly.

Artillery
Anti-Tank restricted to defensive and Artillery is unchanged. Anti-Tank guns are still effective against early tanks. The tank destroyers should be effective against medium tanks. Less so on Heavy Tanks. Also tank destroyers should require a Vehicle factory and OIL.

Armor:
Armor is now really powerful and deadly to all non-armor They can also take a hammering and still be quite effective. e.g. German Tiger is now 74 !!! but the M26 Pershing is now 75 :cool: however the Churchill is less at 50 :sad: and it is even beaten by the Panzer IVg @ 58 and T-34 @ 52 however it is just better then the M-4 Sherman @ 49

As I said earlier. This is a brilliant Mod. I love WWII and I love Civ IV and this allow me to combine both. Plus I am a "Grognard" :)

Naval
Battleships and Cruisers are significantly more powerful and are harder to kill.

Aircraft
Fighters have a really limited range. One of the best fighters stats is the P-51 Mustang. The Allied Bombers are really deadly to city defences and have long ranges, others less so.

I will next modify unit costs to relate to their relative strengths. e.g. Combat Value x 10 = Hammers required. e.g. a Churchill will cost 500 hammers

Playtesting so far. I will have to reduce the cost of fighters and bombers considering their reduced effectiveness. I lost virtually all my bombers in the "Battle of Britain" (Like in history :) ).

Infantry cost will have to drop in costs to the same calculation as for Armor.

(Bomb Rate + (Combat Value + Bonus %) + Moves) x 10 for Land and Naval based Units.
(Bomb Rate + Air Combat Value + Moves) x 10 for Air Units.

This would make a Neutral Early Infantry cost only 70 !!!, but considering their limited effectiveness against Major Powers this is appropriate.

Other examples:
The Lancaster @ 1080 , Ju.88 @ 470, P-51 Mustang @ 870
Anti-Tank = 270 (5 + 5x400% + 2 ) x 10
I will modify Heavy Anti-Tank to x200% for increased effectiveness on Medium Tanks

I am now modifying the Unit file to have named units, e.g. 1st Infantry, 7th Panzer (Rommel) Div. etc.

I note in My Research so far that the Soviet Units are organised differently after the war started.

i.e. Tank Divisions became Mechanized Corps or Tank Corps

so Tank Divisions (T-26), Mechanized Corps (T-34), Tank Corps (KV-1)

For the Germans I have chosen to use SS Unit names for the Heavy Tank Units.

I have now completely refined the Units files and is now attached.

One thing I have noted is that names of pre-built units are completely random.

Cost of Neutral Units are doubled to reflect their significantly lower industrial intregation and abilty to design forces and most building would be from imported resources.

I am considering removing the "Blitz" Promotion from the following Tank Units.

All Neutral Units except "Modern Tanks" - To better reflect their lack of development in specific armoured tactics.

All Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Russian Units except "Heavy Tanks" for similar reasons and the Russians, because of their lack of radios until late in the war.

Only British and American Early Tanks do not have the "Blitz" promotion

Only the Germans have it on all their tank types.

I like it will download and incorporate the artwork

Is there also some care about starting conditions like
- Relative City Size (e.g. Berlin should be bigger than other cities in Germany)
- Relative Tech Levels (Germany and UK should be more advanced than certain other civs)
- Number of units relates to the level of militarization of the country?
- Number of factories etc. relates to the economic condition of the country?

All the above have been corrected in my version.

Top Bottom