No Score Mod & Pitboss

Elucidus

King
Okay I made a mod that removes the score from civilization. This is only really beneficial in multiplayer games. It seems that civilization has become a game of who can analyze the score and react to it the best to determine who can win. This is not how the game was meant to be played.

I have played in a lot of games, and in one I was attacked simply because through the scores it was determined that I traded a few techs to this other teams enemy team. Things like this happen often, people determine who they can attack early because they built a wonder or discovered a religion, or both.

The uncertainty is gone. I can know how large your army is, how many wonders you have, etc. In the beginning I can know this without even meeting you.

The unfortunate side effect is that espionage has a lesser impact as you can see another players score in any area.

Anyway my real problem is that when I try to run this in PTBS the only way it works is without an admin password, and that is something I cannot let go by. With an admin password everyone gets the error "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not changed." And then the load fails. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The mod works otherwise, singeplayer, PTBS without an admin password, and even with civstats, though without a score it shows everyone as eliminated but the turn counter and diplomacy still work.

Elucidus!

This is FANTASTIC! I was just talking to Oyzar about this the other day and completely agree with your premise for doing this. Having more of a "fog of war" aspect to the game makes sense on so many levels.

Personally, I couldn't care less about not having an admin password. That's never been an issue in games I've hosted.

However, does your mod get rid of the demographics as well? I suspect not based on what you've said but I wouldn't mind a version of it which does that as well.

Where can we download your mod?

Bernout

Okay I made a mod that removes the score from civilization. This is only really beneficial in multiplayer games. It seems that civilization has become a game of who can analyze the score and react to it the best to determine who can win. This is not how the game was meant to be played.

I haven't posted it yet, I was trying to work out the admin password thing. There are no score charts but the demographics are still there. The only change is in the GlobalDefinesAlt.XML which goes in Assets/XML. It can be put in any mod or anything that has no changes to the GlobalDefinesAlt. Even if there are changes to GlobalDefines.XLS this will work. It can also easily be merged.

Here is a copy of the file.

Attachments

• GlobalDefinesAlt.zip
    632 bytes · Views: 66
I fully agree that this would be GREAT for MP games. No reason to have intel on someone you haven't met yet. Will it work for MP games?

You get the protected save error even when everyone has the mod, and the game is created using the mod?

Top Bottom