New Punishment Method?

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I just found a little hack that allows admins to change user's ability to change titles and avatars. Maybe I should install it and use it as a new punishment method... muahahaha :p :crazyeye:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( :lol: I don't care, I never get in trouble anyways.:p

When you slap a ban on a poster, change their avatar to a skull and crossbones and change their title to "banned." It's sort of like people who get their names published in the newspaper for being delinquent on their taxes. Public shame is a good motivator to promote good behavior. :hammer:

I think you should make strategic use of the tool to reign in a number of marginal posters without actually resorting to a Ban.

I wouldn't do anything too childish, but the thought of losing the privilege of chosing your own avatar and having your title changed to "Strike one" or "Strike two" would be a very strong deterent for many people.

I have in the past suggested some form of "nonviolent" not from the public rating system that lets the admins and mods provide a clear mark or label for users that post good information. Using this restricted avatar control would fill a similar role by just targeting the unreliable sources.

I would think this tool would be most effective if used independently from other methods of behavior modification.

"I just found a little hack that allows admins to change user's ability to change titles and avatars. Maybe I should install it and use it as a new punishment method... muahahaha "

:eek: Mod fascism!

You shld put in a fore-warning though, somewhere prominent. :D
All forum rule-breakers may be liable for a present from the CFC staff - a permanent avatar and title of the staffers' choice. :D

All that sort of stuff (public whippings & postings of banned people) was discussed a few weeks ago.... after people thought about it, they realized it was not such a good idea...

I just found a little hack that allows admins to change user's ability to change titles and avatars. Maybe I should install it and use it as a new punishment method... muahahaha
I think he's just talking about people's ability (e.g., yes/no) to alter their titles/avatars. The Admins already put "Perm Banned" in the title for people like EyesofNight, etc. Avatars can be changed by TF already, that is nothing new.

But.... going back to prior posts in the avatar announcement thread, the new hack could be used to let people change an avatar, get it set, and then lock it from changing, much like a username does not change (unless by special request & dispensation). Personally, I think an user's avatar should be settled upon, and then not changed, at least not more than once a year or so... since avatars are used to easily spot posters. :)

Demographics: Of 20,000 registered users, about 280 exceed 300 posts. About 30 are close to 300.

Originally posted by starlifter
Personally, I think an user's avatar should be settled upon, and then not changed, at least not more than once a year or so... since avatars are used to easily spot posters. :)
I completly agree with that, I mean to me that is what the use of an avatar is really good for.
so I can easily spot posters and they can express them selfs but the first to me is more Importaint :p personaly I remember faces better than I remember names, Im horrible with remembering names, I didn't know the name of one of my best freinds for about a year.
I never forget a face though :) so to me thats what those avatars actlike sometimes the peoples faces.

A place that I was in recently once 'punished' people by giving them a stupid custom title and sig, something pointing out what they did wrong. Some people ended up liking the attention though, so they stopped. It's just a 'one chance' thing now, and no chance if nobody knows who you are.

Originally posted by Switch625
When you slap a ban on a poster, change their avatar to a skull and crossbones and change their title to "banned." It's sort of like people who get their names published in the newspaper for being delinquent on their taxes. Public shame is a good motivator to promote good behavior. :hammer:
I don't know, some people would probably regard that as kind of "cool".

I think all the most effective punishment avatars and titles would be offensive to regular posters, and the watered down versions wouldn't have much effect. But it would be funny anyway. And you could always ban them if, thinking it was cool, continued to break the rules.

I think that if we change a user's avatar/title we should change their title to:

"You've been struck by a smooth moderater"

I think lowering a person's PC as a punishment is a good idea through.... maybe we should think about that?

Originally posted by Strider
I think that if we change a user's avatar/title we should change their title to:

I think lowering a person's PC as a punishment is a good idea through.... maybe we should think about that?

All that would do is make post count even more of a ranking system then it is now.

Originally posted by Strider

I doubt that would fit cuz when i rember the last time i changed my title i could barely fit what i have it fit exactly

I think that changing people's title to one that makes them look like a fool will not have the effect that they will change their behaviour. Just ask the mods of Gamecatcher what happened when they changed the title and location of a certain banned poster....

Speaking of which, didja hear about the guy who is trying to sue the fast food chains for get this, MAKING HIM FAT?! :eek: He'd probably spend the money on fastfood... (gosh I hope there isn't a thread on this in OT)

Well, PC reduction is not necessarily a punishment. And I tend to expect the worst from my 'fellow men' so I also put my lot in with the "Attention would escalate the problem" folks. Short of having Darky send the Spetznas to the offender's doorstep, I suggest TF and Co. step up the banning. :goodjob:

Top Bottom