Civ 4 Map Editor

Beni

Chieftain
"Civ 4 - D Map Editor" is an open source project for yet another Civ 4 map editor.

Requirements: Java 1.6. Only tested with BYTS.

Download from: civ4me.javaforge.com (if the server is down - just wait a few hours :rolleyes:).

The project is inspired by the Civ 4 Map Maker. While I liked Map Maker I thought that some things could be made more intuitive. The editor does not (yet) have the many features of Map Maker but it is growing. In other projects I learned that users often give valuable input, so I'd like to present the tool even in its unfinished state and hope for many answers and suggestions of what feature you'd like to see.

Features are:
  • Zoom the map (with the mouse wheel)
  • Selection: copy&paste, move, rotate or mirror
  • Supports world wrapping: i.e. if a selection is moved over one side of the map it enters again on the other side.
  • Undo/Redo for the last 50 actions
  • Rivers are placed directly on the edges of tiles, as a result it is very clear where a river will be in the game. It is possible to tell the editor where wells and sinks of rivers are. An algorithm tries to set the flow of the rivers in a way that no contradictions arise (i.e. no junction where water flows only out but not in).
  • New resources can be added by editing a configuration file
  • Starting position of players can be set

Attachments

• map_editor.png
    map_editor.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 7,383
I just started in a new job, that will keep me occupied... I would like to allow city creation and unit placement (even unit upgrading), but the data structures of the tool are not yet fit for these things. I'm really not yet sure whether I ever do these things, propably not in the next few weeks.

Thanks. The servers are stable again. I have no clue what the admins do with them, once every second month the servers go down and come up again...

In theory: yes BUT... in reality: first city and unit placement has to be implemented, and this is not going to happen in the remainder of this year.

Wy does it not let me put more then 16 start locations? I need 34!

There is always some silly catch with these map editors, When will someone make a REAL editor like the one that comes with civ3 conquests?! :cry:

Wy does it not let me put more then 16 start locations? I need 34!

There is always some silly catch with these map editors, When will someone make a REAL editor like the one that comes with civ3 conquests?! :cry:

Open the "config.xml" (in a texteditor), scroll to the end. You'll find entries that look like this one (since there are no icons for additional players, just ignore them):
Code:
			<property name="p16">
				<icon>player/p16.png</icon>
				<paint><image>player/p16_small.png</image></paint>
				<verifier class="civ4.mapEditor.map.verifiers.NewestLocationOnly"/>
				<wbs>
					<player number="15" name="StartingX, StartingY" value="${x}, ${y}"/>
				</wbs>
				<description>Player 16</description>
			</property>

Now copy the last entry, count up the name, the player number and the player description to get the startposition for player 17:
Code:
			<property name="p17">
				<icon>player/p16.png</icon>
				<paint><image>player/p16_small.png</image></paint>
				<verifier class="civ4.mapEditor.map.verifiers.NewestLocationOnly"/>
				<wbs>
					<player number="16" name="StartingX, StartingY" value="${x}, ${y}"/>
				</wbs>
				<description>Player 17</description>
			</property>

If you do this often enough, you get 34 startpositions.

I've downloaded the map editor and made a map of my own, but after playing around for awhile, I can't actually figure out how to play that map. Any tips? Also, I apologize for bumping this dead thread.

~Thanks

I've downloaded the map editor and made a map of my own, but after playing around for awhile, I can't actually figure out how to play that map. Any tips? Also, I apologize for bumping this dead thread.

~Thanks

1. Select "Export" in the "File" menu.
2. Choose the format, Civ 4, Warlords or Beyond the Sword
3.a. You can store the map anywhere, double clicking the map will open Civ 4 automatically.
3.b Or store the map in the public-maps folder to access it from the "custom scenario" widget. For example on Vista the public-maps folder of BTS is located at "C:\Users\<Your Name>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps"

hi this is my first time to post :)
is there any special setting to create map for RoM?
i have downloaded Indonesian map and i want to use it in RoM, can somebody help me?

thanks a lot

Top Bottom