AoI Unit: US Infantry c.a. 1895-1905

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
This unit was requested by El Justo for the Age of Imperialism scenario.

He's your basic Spanish-American war era US infantryman, complete with Jeff Davis hat, Bedroll and .30-40 Krag rifle.

Special thanks to Sandris for the blanket roll prop. :goodjob:

Anyways, Previews:

Download

I hope you enjoy this unit!

Right on! That's very cool, I love it. Krag rifle even. Thanks! :)

Very nice job, if the gaiters were just a bit lighter they would stand out more other than that it is great!

Well, based on the picture that El Justo sent me, the gaiters were about the same color as the pants the soldiers were wearing....

Glad you guys like it, though!

Stormrage said:
Wow.. thats.. thats not Final Fantasy! :crazyeye:

The late 19th and early 20th Century IS one of my favorite historical eras..... As a matter of fact, the fact that a number of Final Fantasy games borrow a lot from the Victorian era as well as the Art-deco period is one of the things that drew me into the series in the first place. ;)

The late 19th and early 20th Century IS one of my favorite historical eras..... As a matter of fact, the fact that a number of Final Fantasy games borrow a lot from the Victorian era as well as the Art-deco period is one of the things that drew me into the series in the first place. ;)
It definitely is an interesting time period and I am glad to see you devoting energies towards it.

It definitely is an interesting time period and I am glad to see you devoting energies towards it.

Turbulent time period as well. This is another top notch unit HT!

Turbulent time period as well. This is another top notch unit HT!

That's part of what makes it so interesting.....

Although the military aspects are only a small part of what makes things in that time period so interesting:

Mostly it's the breakthroughs in science: The invention of the Telephone, Radio, vacuum tube, automobile, etc began a massive revolution in the everyday lives of people around the world that still is going on today.

Of course, IMO, things have gone incredibly wrong, starting in the 1950's where everything all of a sudden started becoming disposable and completley bland and lacking in style...

...Which is why I'm a steampunk: I'm part of a relatively small, but growing, group of people who are trying to bring back the standards of quality and craftmanship of that bygone era, not to mention the style... I LIKE how those old phones looked, damnit!

They had a utilitarian elegance and style that these modern plastic "robot turds" (as I like to think of them) could never hope to match, not to mention that I have two that are over 50 years old and still fully functional, while these modern pieces of crap can't be expected to last more than 3 years tops!

Also, I've gotten P.O.ed at the insistence of modern electronic engineers of cramming as many useless and unnecessary functions into a device as possible.... I want a PHONE, dammit! Not some gosh-awful phone/mini-TV/camera/computer abomination!

...but I digress. Glad you guys like the unit.

It seems that steampunkable ( ;) ) units keep appearing.
...Which is why I'm a steampunk: I'm part of a relatively small, but growing, group of people who are trying to bring back the standards of quality and craftmanship of that bygone era, not to mention the style... I LIKE how those old phones looked, damnit!

They had a utilitarian elegance and style that these modern plastic "robot turds" (as I like to think of them) could never hope to match, not to mention that I have two that are over 50 years old and still fully functional, while these modern pieces of crap can't be expected to last more than 3 years tops!

Also, I've gotten P.O.ed at the insistence of modern electronic engineers of cramming as many useless and unnecessary functions into a device as possible.... I want a PHONE, dammit! Not some gosh-awful phone/mini-TV/camera/computer abomination!
I recently had to call my mother and check that she was getting through a snow storm alright. She lives in a rural area, a long narrow box canyon, where the power often goes out during any inclement weather & she can get cut off from the only road access to more food, etc. Sure enough, the power went out about 2 sentences into the phone call. since she has a back up rotary dial phone that is hardwired into the phonelines, and therefore has a power source separate from the electric lines, she was able to call me back right away to let me know she had plenty of food, firewood, and fuel for her kerosene lantern. She also has my great grandma's 32 and knows how to use it. (No cannibals or zombies, so far.)

I recently had to call my mother and check that she was getting through a snow storm alright. She lives in a rural area, a long narrow box canyon, where the power often goes out during any inclement weather & she can get cut off from the only road access to more food, etc. Sure enough, the power went out about 2 sentences into the phone call. since she has a back up rotary dial phone that is hardwired into the phonelines, and therefore has a power source separate from the electric lines, she was able to call me back right away to let me know she had plenty of food, firewood, and fuel for her kerosene lantern. She also has my great grandma's 32 and knows how to use it. (No cannibals or zombies, so far.)

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I use (and build) carbon-set telephones.... Believe it or not, but they still make carbon transmitter handsets! (mostly for public pay or emergency phones as well as mil-spec telephones) Not only are they extremely reliable, but they're supposedly EMP-proof as well. I can vouch for the fact that a Western Electric model 500 rotary phone can take a DIRECT HIT from a LIGHTNING bolt and still retain about 80% functionality (there was a constant humming on the reciever, due to the side-tone coil getting fried).... The modern electret set on the wall got blown apart!

Believe it or not, but I've made carbon-set Touch-tone phones.... All I did was instead of putting a rotary dial (which are hard to find) in series with the network I made (by reverse-engineering a 70-year old US Army field phone circuit), I put a Touch-Tone dialer circuit in Paralell (actually, it's a Pulse/Tone dialer, so it's a bit more complicated that that), and it works like a charm, without losing any of the reliability or self-powered functionality of the old rotary phones (actually, since I've been able to get a hold of some 1 Farad capacitors, I now have a good reliable redial memory backup without having to rely on batteries or other such nonsense, so I can add a 32-digit redial function to my future designs)....

I also live in a rural area: The nearest town is about 3 miles away (if you can call 12 houses, 2 churches, 1 grain elevator, a Ruritan club and a small hardware store at a crossroads a town), and the nearest cable TV line terminates about a mile from my house (so no high-speed internet for me!)

....and BOY has this thread gotten off topic in a hurry. :lol:

We're gonna civilize 'em w/ a Kragg!!!

:mischief:

Bringing Pizza To The Wogs
Increases Commerce, Causes Corruption

(with apologies to Blue Monkey)

Glad you like the unit. ;)

I've installed it in AoI and it looks great.

Maybe now someone can convert the Napoleonic Horse Artillerymen with the Civil War style cavalrymen?

Top Bottom