Prince
What I've done:

- Tried again with the trees, they look much better now
- Fixed a minor grid mistake in all landscape textures
- Fixed a glaring grid mistake in ocean textures
- Re-introduced detail textures from BM and vanilla Civ 4
- Tweaked grassland so it's not overly dark with the detail texture
- Made alternate "World of Ruin" textures

For some reason FfH is using muddy gray detail textures for most things. Just copying over the ones from BM and/or Civ 4 improves visuals with no downside. After that I thought I'd see what would happen if I made the water less colorful, things got out of hand, and what I ended up with is somewhere between default FfH, Blue Marble Gold, and FF6 World of Ruin. Please at least try it in-game. :) If the purple color is too weird, maybe someone will find it useful for new terrain types or a different mod.

There's a tiling issue in the FfH plains textures that I was hoping to fix, maybe some other time. I also found a really minor grid error involving cooastlines that I think must be from original Civ 4 because it's in BM terrain too, but the thicker grid lines from Civ 4 textures cover it up. First screenshot is trees + landscape, second is with the darker oceans and rivers. Extract them to ...\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets. If you want to try the darker water, extract landscape.7z first and then dark.7z.

Don't ask me how it's possible but...

Whenever I try to start the Radiant Guard scenario with your Terrain textures, the game crashes to desktop shortly after the intro screen.

Okay, narrowed it down: it's the BurningSandsGRIDS.dds file that's causing the crash.

Sorry about the late reply. I don't know why that texture would crash the game, since it's in the right format and everything. I've never played any of FfH's scenarios to test the scenario terrain.

I've been messing with road and river textures. The road texture is identical to the vanilla texture, except that the mipmaps are redone so roads don't fade to dark brown as you zoom out. If you like the new roads, they can be used with vanilla Civ or any other mods. Rivers are darker overall, water color is matched to FfH oceans, and river banks have a subtle greenish-gold tint that I think matches FfH terrain better. I also faded river mouths a little so the rocky FfH coast shows through.

Finally, I've included a separate version of the river textures that uses only the largest texture. This makes rivers look sharper and more detailed at most zoom levels, but if you zoom in far enough you'll notice an odd border and some subtle compression artifacts. I think it's a good trade-off. I have no idea why there are multiple sizes for river textures in the first place.

The first screenshot shows the rivers and roads. The second shows a close-up of a river mouth, with the rocky coast showing through. The third shows the same river mouth with the high-res texture. The first archive contains the road texture, the second the normal river textures, and the third contains the high-res river textures. Extract the ones you want to Fall from Heaven 2\Assets.

I know it's only been a day or so, but there have been a bunch of thread views and it doesn't seem like anybody's interested in the new textures. I'm open to suggestions or comments.

Maybe do some side by side comparison screenshots (or upload them and tell us which are which) so we can say to ourselves, "Ah, these do look better!" There's also the slight incompatibility concern... unless I think the textures are going to make the game prettier (see first suggestion ^__^ ), why bother? I mean, for your screens, I can see how they look better, but I'm not really convinced. There's also the fact that Civ IV doesn't rely a whole lot on graphics, so people might be willing to pass this over.

Just my two cents. ;)

I really like the look of this! Could you post some comparison textures with original stuff so we can see the difference more acutely?

I'm thinking of incorperating this into my mod... maybe the world of ruin stuff :mischief:

Al

I tried out these textures but they cause crashes for me as well.

I tried out these textures but they cause crashes for me as well.

Do you know which ones specifically are causing the crashes?

Al

Do you know which ones specifically are causing the crashes?

Al

I got the crash when I added hell terrain and then turned on grids. So something in there, but I didnt try to isolate which one.

Hell Oceans with a grid had been a problem in Fall Further at one point. I'd start with checking them out.

If the issue is grids though, just load up a Duel Map and set the entire map to a single terrain type at a time. Eventually turning grids on will cause a crash, and then you'll know where the problem is (if a pure terrain doesn't give a crash, then it is probably a coastline issue, so do a half-half series of tests)

Hell Oceans with a grid had been a problem in Fall Further at one point. I'd start with checking them out.

If the issue is grids though, just load up a Duel Map and set the entire map to a single terrain type at a time. Eventually turning grids on will cause a crash, and then you'll know where the problem is (if a pure terrain doesn't give a crash, then it is probably a coastline issue, so do a half-half series of tests)

Good testing routine. I'll try that myself soon. Got a little bit of spare time that I'm using to put a tech tree together for my upcoming modmod :)

Al

Top Bottom