MapView 2.0 - Civilization 4 Editor

Gr3yHound

Mr.MapView
16189 downloads so far

GarretSidzaka had me hosted on his nice Modcast ... here.

Please upgrade to 2.0.9!
Most important changes:
  • 2.0.8 to 2.0.9
    • Added some new Buttons
    • Took out things i forgot to disable for 2.0.8
    • You can now delete cities with the eraser tool
  • 2.0.7 to 2.0.8
    • Fixed issues that made MapView crash when changing to certain Mods. This should be much better now.
    • Added a grid to the renderer, can be toggle in the menu.
  • 2.0.6 to 2.0.7
    • The app took ages to start when working offline due too many connection timeouts to wait for. Improved that.
  • 2.0.5 to 2.0.6
    • MapView now checks for updates on Application start. (Plugins as well as MapView itself)
    • Added Warlords specific saving procedure.

Btw: Most of the functionality of the TeamReveal Plugin can be reached with a right click on the drop-down-menu that let's you chose the teams.

Downloads:

3rd Party Icons & Buttons

Included Plugin Versions
  • Editor 1.3.1
  • CreateCoast 1.0
  • Remover 1.0
  • RiverPlace 1.0
  • TileToText 1.0
  • LandscapePlacer 1.1 (Current: Version 1.2.0)
  • TeamReveal 1.0

To run the software you might need to install this from microsoft:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package

Other Plugins / Versions: (just extract to mapview directory)
  • Pic2Map - Convert Pictures to Maps (download and put into mapview dir)
    • Use *.jpg files .. you can use other types but that will probably look really horrible ;D
    • Currently the map size created will be 128 in width and you cannot change this. I hope you can life with this for now.

Please be aware of the fact that MapView does not understand *.wbs (civ/warlords/colonization/bts etc.) files 100%. But this will be looged. You can currently not alter all values but A LOT of things can be done.

If you have little feature wishes i can probaly write a plugin very fast. So ask for it!

When you know how to do it you can add render/gui support your a feature or bonus of your own mod within seconds. But even if you don't, MapView will be able to use it anyway.

Feature List:
  • Maps up to 400x400. (enought?)
  • Fast OpenGL Renderer
  • Plugin System
  • Full mod support. Some restrictions exist, read the FAQ.
  • Warlords and submods
  • BTS and submods
  • Bonus
  • Terrain
  • Features (no variety tho)
  • Improvements
  • Cities
  • Units
  • Rivers
  • Players
  • Teams
  • Renderer an be teached how to render new bonuses, features etc.
  • GUI can be teached to display correct buttons for new bonuses, features etc.
  • Copy, Cut & Paste
  • Layers
  • Move Layers
  • Flip layers horizontal/vertical
  • Merge layers
Render support files for mods:
  • Please create some and post them ;) I did the coding, you do the beauty ;)

Video Tutorials:
Things you should know:
  • Starting positions aren't adjusted when flipping layers.
  • Rivers on the most south or most east edge of a layer are not flipped 100% correct.
  • ... things the FAQ mentions
  • Floodplains look like Jungle! .. Could someone please create a nice grafic for it and share?

FAQ:
  • How do i use the TeamReveal Plugin?
    Basicly you use the left mouse-button to "paint" reveal and the right mouse-button to "paint" hidden areas.
    A right click on the team-selection drop down will bring up a context menu with a few further features. The option to completely hide the whole map from all teams can be reached via the "Plugins->TeamReveal x.x" menu.
  • Why are there so many ? - Buttons?
    Questionmarks are harmless.
    The main goal of MapView is to have a few restrictions possible. It works with almost any mod and can place and delete things i couldn't know about when i wrote the program. MapView is also able to be teached by the users, buttons can be created and adjusted. The questionmark just means noone has ever created a button for a specific terrain/bonus/feature/route/uni for improvement. You could easily create some buttons if you wanted to, check out the video tutorials.
  • The application crashes on startup, what to do?
    Try starting MapView without plug_editor.dll to be present in the App folder. If it works now there is some issue with an xml file i don't handle. Use this version of the editor to find out which file is causing the error. Please upload the file somewhere and send me a PM.
  • The application crashes when changing to another mod?
    Use this version of the editor to find out which *.xml file is causing the error. I probably have an unhandled case. Please upload the file somewhere and send me a PM.
  • Why is some terrain black
    This indicated that the file has no terrain. This can happen when using cut. It's not bad tho. That way you could save yourself some bonus settings or similar and then easily paste it into your current map project without modifying the terrain.
  • How do you navigate? Scroll and zoom?
    Whenever you hold down "SPACE" you can use the left and right mouse button to navigate and zoom. Even if you have a tool selected. It's similar how 3d software works so it should quite familiar for a few people and once you know it it should be pretty natuarl.
  • The toolbar entries of the mod is incorrect
    MapView requires everything to start with the usual identifier. BONUS_, FEATURE_, LEADER_ and so on. Some mods (like American Revolution) don't work like that (AMREV_BONUS_SOMETHING etc.)
  • How to delete Bonus, Features, Routes, Improvements?
    Use the eraser and click on ANY bonus, feature, route or improvement. If you last clicked on a bonus, bonuses will be erased etc.
  • How to delete Cities and units?
    Whenever you click on a tile containing units or a city the "Tile inspector" will show those types. You can right click on a unit or city and delete it. Units can also be deleted by pressing the delete key on your keyboard.
  • How to delete River?
    Make sure you enabled the riverplace tool. Hold down the right mouse button while moving the mouse.
    You can delete a whole river from source to mouth by holding down shift and then left-clicking on a river.
  • Some textures look wrong
    Make sure all files in the directory /Texture/[Subdir]/ have the same dimensions. If this happens when you use an unmodified version please report it.
  • What do the question mark symbols on the map mean?
    This is when the render engine didn't find a picture that has the same name as the feature, bonus, improvement or route.
    You can easily create your own art work. Check the video tutorials to learn how to do this or check the SDK folder for template files to start creating the files for your personal mod.
  • Where do i need to install the Plugins to?
    The plugin itself has to be in the same folder as the application executable. Usually /MapView/. You should be fine when extracting the plugin to this folder.
  • How do i disable a plugin?
    1. Rename the plugin so it doesn't start with 'plug_' anymore
    2. or just remove it from the directory

Changelog:
  • Application:
    • 2.0.0 to 2.0.1
      • added zlib1.dll to the package
      • included LandscapePlacer Plugin to the package
      • removed unnecessary files and folders i forgot to remove
    • 2.0.1 to 2.0.2
      • Editor 1.1 now ships with the application
      • Fixed a bug about hills and peaks beeing reversed (Thanks to ayse)
    • 2.0.2 to 2.0.3
      • Editor 1.2 now ships with the application
    • 2.0.3 to 2.0.4
      • Fixed bug that made almost everything appear in white and repacked
    • 2.0.4 to 2.0.5
      • Included Buttons for Stock Units
      • Improved parsing/saving
    • 2.0.5 to 2.0.6
      • MapView now checks for updates on Application start. (Plugins as well as MapView itself)
      • Added Warlords specific saving procedure.
    • 2.0.6 to 2.0.7
      • The app took ages to start when working offline due too many connection timeouts to wait for. Improved that.
    • 2.0.7 to 2.0.8
      • Fixed issues that made MapView crash when changing to certain Mods. This should be much better now.
      • Added a grid to the renderer, can be toggle in the menu.
    • 2.0.8 to 2.0.9
      • Added some new Buttons
      • Took out things i forgot to disable for 2.0.8
      • You can now delete cities with the eraser tool

• Editor:
    • 1.0 to 1.1
      • Clicking on the Toolbars (Feature, Route, Bonus, Improvement, Unit) will now automatically activate the pen when you just used another plugin like RiverPlace or LandscapePlace. Pensize will stay as you selected.
    • 1.1 to 1.2
      • Had to recompile due to drastic api changes.
    • 1.2 to 1.3
      • Added landmass selection
    • 1.3 to 1.3.1
      • Fixed from description for the box selection tool in the selector drop down menu
  • LandscapePlacer
    • 1.0 to 1.1
      • Peak and Hills were reversed, fixed that (Thanks to ayse)
  • TeamReveal
      • first release

Credits:
  • JEELEN (for answering stupid questions about the '.xml structure)
  • Rhye (for answering stupid questions about the '.xml structure)
  • Dale (for his incredible!! In depth look at the WBS file)
  • asioasioasio (for beeing beta tester and since he kept asking for the release)
  • everyone that made me spend a few hundred hours in this

:eek:
This is really, really great! I've just started playing around with this utility and so far I'm amazed! Thanks Gr3yHound!!! :goodjob:

Oh this is sooooo nice to hear.
I'm quite proud of it, and even if i don't work on maps or so i just love to pic up the pen and start painting on the map like crazy ;)

I'm aware of some usability problems with the selection tool and other things but i hope you guys can really take some profit of it.

This tool is perfect - so great tool (5 starts aren't enough to tell how this tool would be helpull). I'll test it with my mod today, but right now i find it'll be great help :)

BTW is it possible to make it portable without installing civ on other machines? For example just copying xml and dds in one of the folders could work?

EDIT I play with it - Truly awsome - it makes worldbuilder obsolete tool :)

I try to launch program at home but it's missing .dlls

- zlib1.dll
- msjava.dll

do you know how to fix it, or what i'm missing?

BTW is it possible to make it portable without installing civ on other machines? For example just copying xml and dds in one of the folders could work?

Yep, you just need to take the *.xml structure from your civ4 + bts + mods and place it somewhere.

I try to launch program at home but it's missing .dlls

- zlib1.dll
- msjava.dll

do you know how to fix it, or what i'm missing?

A few months ago you already missed. msjava.dll and the redistribution pack fixed it.
zlib1.dll from http://zlib.net/ sourceforge mirror

Great work Gr3yHound. I'm really eager to work with this tool, but unfortunately it wont start up.
A couple of minutes ago i tried it in Vista and it said the zlib1.dll is missing, so i downloaded it and copied it to the MapView folder. Then it started. Because i have Civ4 installed on my XP installation MapView wasn't able to find the installation directory, so i told it manually where it is located. Then i should restart MapView and since then it wouldn't start up in Vista ("MapView has a problem...").
Now i booted my PC with XP and thougt it would work, but it simply will not start up. I installed the Vis. C++ Red., i put the zlib1.dll into the MapView folder, i deleted everything, made a restart, installed Vis. C++ Red. again, made a restart, unzipped MapView again and boom, the same, old "MapView has a problem....".
I haven't started Vista yet again, but i think the problem stays as it is.
I don't know what else i can do to get it to work.

My System:
PHP:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
           Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
       System Model: KM266-8237
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~2.2GHz
             Memory: 2048MB RAM
          Page File: 668MB used, 1429MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
and
PHP:
Operating System: Windows VistaÖ Business (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
           Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
       System Model: KM266-8237
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, ~2.2GHz
             Memory: 2046MB RAM
          Page File: 1184MB used, 1365MB available
        Windows Dir: G:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

A few months ago you already missed. msjava.dll and the redistribution pack fixed it.
zlib1.dll from http://zlib.net/ sourceforge mirror

It was devil.dll than, and missing msjava.dll wasn't problem than

i reinstalled java but it still bugging for this file in Depends22. I pasted .dll from net and it turns of the problem.

Tough the software crashes (after patching with zlib) :( It worked in job so it's probably something wrong with my pc at home

Depends22 shows this message: Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module. and highlights mpr.dll

Is there a specific version of Java you need to run? My "view" screen only shows the bottom left corner of the map.

I hope this works with Fall from Heaven 2, it looks to be quite nice.

Personally, this appears to be more of a "beta"-style release... It's missing scrollbars and buttons and needs a lot of UI work.

Is there a specific version of Java you need to run? My "view" screen only shows the bottom left corner of the map.
Yep, just press space and left or right click & drag the mouse.

I hope this works with Fall from Heaven 2, it looks to be quite nice.
You can work on your maps, just a few keywords aren't understood. Facing direction, sleep, damage, such things.
Personally, this appears to be more of a "beta"-style release... It's missing scrollbars and buttons and needs a lot of UI work.

Yeah but i knew i'd never release something if i didn't do it tonight. I'm running out of time.
What buttons are missing? Where would you need a scrollbar? I don't have much time in the next few weeks but if you don't actually suggest things i will never do them. And the ugly editor buttons. Yeah, just create some on your own. You will find the jpgs in pluginData\Editor\Gui\Tools

Very cool Gr3yhound.

ONE QUESTION:

Can I load a vanilla/warlords WBS with it and then save/export it as a BTS.WBS?
You should be able to read any *.wbs file that is basicly like a civ4 wbs. Some keywords won't be understood so some informations might get lost when loading but you should be able to do a lot of your work with mapview. When you load a map the log window will show you when the parser found lines mapview won't understand.

It was devil.dll than, and missing msjava.dll wasn't problem than

i reinstalled java but it still bugging for this file in Depends22. I pasted .dll from net and it turns of the problem.

Tough the software crashes (after patching with zlib) :( It worked in job so it's probably something wrong with my pc at home

Depends22 shows this message: Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module. and highlights mpr.dll

I'll try to find out why this is a problem.

About Plugin - LandscapePlacer
Are Hills & Peaks reversed?

Oh yess!! Thanks.
Download is updated. You need to download the whole package since there was also an error in the render engine which is inside the executable.

It was actually another bug which made hills beeing rendered as peaks and vice versa. Thanks a lot. I'd have never found that.

I must admit, a half an hour ago i sat here and thought: Omg, a lot of mountains arround on this map ;)

OK on my pc i usually use for modding v. 2.0.2 doesn't work - it's still crashing - software did wrong and will be closed - if it might be helpful i can send you report that windows generate.

I tested program on my "media center" pc - it works without problems (tough i don't have installed civ there yet). I think i'll grab pc from tv to my room and try to work on it untill the maps are done :)

Once again thank you :)

Still not working for me :(

Top Bottom