Version History and Release Dates
**** Version 1.01 **** 16 January 2009 - Initial release
**** Version 1.02 **** 28 February 2009 - Divs, Corps, Armies
**** Version 1.02.6 **** 23 May 2009 - Last Release for 3.17 and UE 1.1
**** Version 1.03 **** 12 July 2009 - First Release for 3.19 only
**** Version 1.03.1 **** 24 August 2009 - Major Fix
**** Version 1.03.2 **** 17 September 2009 - Bug Fix
**** Version 1.03.3 **** 16 October 2009 - Bug Fix
**** Version 1.04 **** Ships and Planes to be researched including better graphics

Requirements. Version 1.0.3 and later
1: Civilization IV
2: Beyond the Sword Expansion
3: Patch 3.19

Introduction
After highlighting my concerns with Dales Mod here and here I decided I would try to improve it. Dales Mod is designed for Playability where any nation can try to win. My mod is aimed more at realism. i.e. Germany having better Techs and Training than most, Russia having many more men, USA having much more production and England having the wonderful "Battle of Britain" pilots. I have attached the changes I have made to Dale's Road to War.

Special Thanks to Dale and other members of the Civfanatics Forum for making a wonderful mod that allowed me to make just minor tweaks to change it to how I wanted it. All comments welcome and will consider updating the files accordingly.

BTW: I enjoy playing as well. So I may take a break from development from time to time.

Development Notes - latest Release is BOLD and underlined
Planned Development.
Spoiler :
see post for details
Version 1.09.x - Single install file development to install the Mod. - incorporated into 1.04.x
Version 1.08.x - 1942 Europe Map - cancelled
Version 1.07.x - Diplomacy settings in Maps - to be incorporated into 1.04.x or 1.05.x
Version 1.06.x - Global Assault Map - incorporating "Kuff-Dam" Map and "Deanej" UE.1.1 patch for 3.19 - cancelled
Version 1.05.x - Pacific Map (Note: Version 1.03.x or later can be used with this map already)
Version 1.04.x - Air and Naval Units
Version 1.03.x - European Map for Version 3.19
Version 1.02.x - European Map for version 3.17
Version 1.01.x - European Map - Initial modding trial
Version 1.04 - Naval and Air Units
Spoiler :
Unique units for Naval and Air Unit including upgraded graphics and unit stats
Version 1.03.2/1.03.3- Minor FixesVersion 1.03.1- Lots of new content and changes including bug fixes.
I have now worked on this release for over 6 weeks and am pleased to say it is now released :D

NOTE: Recommended Difficulty Levels for "Player" Nations: Major Nations - Prince or higher, Minor Nations - Settler
Spoiler :
Cities now have a reduced number of resident great people. This will impact on Tech development.
Reduced the number of starting free techs for most nations. Minor Nations are set at Settler Difficulty level and Major nations are set higher. AI will use recommended levels above.
Actual Starting units will be changed from the original RTW placings (which was based on "Hearts of Iron II"), to new ones based more on actual research. This will see the number of units reduce significantly for most nations. NOTE: While Corps and Armies did exist prior to 1939 or even early I decided not to include them and it is up to each country to make them fully operational (i.e. build them)
Unit Graphics - Changed to Single units for Tanks, Multi Units for Infantry.
Battleships and Cruisers have differing starting promotions based on their varying strengths.
Spoiler :
Strength Bonuses based on Tonnage
Flanking Bonuses based on speed
Movement Bonuses based on range
1st Strike Bonuses based on guns
NOTE: This method will be enhanced in Version 1.04
Version 1.03 - Major New Version based on Version 3.19 Patch

Due to the release of 3.19 which makes some changes to "Road to War", by fixing the save and load issue some users have been experiencing, I have decided to make a release that does not require UE 1.1 (may re-incorporate some features in Version 1.06)

However, there have been significant enhancements to the Europe Map which incorporates some of the UE elements. e.g. Hitler Added and new units, e.g Panzer III, Panther, King Tiger, JS-2, Centurion and among other changes.

Major Enhancements
Spoiler :
New Europe Map

Cities
More cities added to countries, albeit some with only a population of 1.
More accurate City/Town Populations and initial buildings.
More Resident Great People. e.g. London has a lot of resident merchants to reflect the support of her colonies and other Commonwealth nations.

Resources
More resources, including Silk and Whale (required for Paratroops and Marine respectively - more for control of who can build them), Gems in City Ruins (in the Middle East)

Improvements
Less Rail and Roads have been reduced even more.
Less farms in non-western countries

Generals
Increased the number of Generals to all sides. Using Data from www.generals.dk (i.e. if they are listed here the country gets a general). The AI can decide what it wants to do with them. But the player of that nation has the choice. +50 promotion to one unit or to all units in the title. Besides it looks good having units led by Generals. I have decided to limit the selection of Generals to only those that achieved the rank of "Full General" i.e. 4-stars or higher in their full career (including post war). If you feel there is a general who did not achieve this rank in his career lifetime and is worthy of entry please let me know.

UNIT Stats Changes

Planned version 1.02.7 units changes have also been incorporated.

3 new type of bunkers have been added. Two are movable (pillboxes and anti-tank ditches) albeit a movement point of 1, this reflects "transportation" and City Fortifications.

Workers have been further restricted.

Allied Corps
I am considering making US and British Corps, Armoured only and no Infantry Only corps this means that US and Britain will have to research Tank Corps. However, when they do, they will quite powerful, i.e. upto PanzerKorps strength.

German Korps
I will make the German Armeekorps, Infantry only albeit with one PanzerGrenadier Div, reducing their strength a bit. The Panzerkorps will still only have one tank div, plus other divs. These will still be powerful.

Russian Corps
I will make Russian Rifles Corps the base infantry unit, replace rifle divisions. However, I will still add to the start map NVKD Rifle Divisions, using the Generic Infantry Divison as strength. As to Tanks I will also make the Tank Corps the base unit making it as strong as the Panzer Division (almost), but will also populate the map with Russian Early Tank divisions. These Early divisons will need to disbanded or destroyed so that more Rifle or Tank Corps will be built.

French, Italian, and Minor Nation Corps
These will remain "Infantry" Only, and no "Armoured" Corps available.

Allied Armies and Army Groups
These will be available and will also be "armoured" i.e they will very likely have a armoured component. Army Groups will replace Tank Armies.

German Armies and Army Groups
These will also have the have an armored component as will of course the Panzer Armies. However, access to Army Groups and Upper Commands Groups will require the research of Army Groups and Armoured Groups.

Russian Armies and Fronts
As you saw above tank and rifle units have been lowered, so the Armies will be lowered as well. This will allow the placement of Fronts and higher level commands.

Significantly, the Russians are now really tough to beat. Their volume of units are now huge. However, you must start the game in "Historic Mode" as this will allow their opponents some time to strengthen. As a counter to the mass of units they have they can not build any more (stronger) units until they lose or disband some. Note: this will reflect the massive encirclements that occurred in the opening of "Operation Barbarossa"

French, Italian, and Minor Nation Armies
Like corps, these will be limited to infantry only and no armored component.

UNIT Graphic Changes

A couple of highlights are being refined prior to release.

Germans
I have replaced the Panzer II with the Panzer III for divisions. More appropriate I think. I have also added the Panther which replaces the infantry for the German Army. Added the King Tiger to represent the Army Group. Panzer II is now incorporated into the German Korps Group (e.g. 1 panzer II icon and 2-3 infantry), if that will work. Using the <Meshgroups> template of the Settler which has multiple different kinds of units. :)

Allies
I will also use the same tank (the Sherman) for the Allied Corps as Britain and the US used them. The Allied Army will again have unique tanks. Considring replacing the Churchill with the Centurion, which is the equivalent of the M26 Pershing.

Russians
I will use the T-34/76 for Russian Tank Corps and the T-34/85 (or KV-1) for Russian Tank Armies and a JS-2 for the Army Fronts.
Version 1.02.7 - Unit limits, tweaks, City Changes - incorporated into 1.03
Spoiler :
Limit to the number of units imposed. e.g Assuming a maximum of 500 divisions approximately 1/3 may operate independent of higher level commands so a limit of 150 is imposed on infantry divisions. All other divisions are assumed to be incorporated into corps, armies or army groups.
Spoiler :
Ground Forces
Infantry Divisions = 150
Infantry Corps = 50
Infantry Armies = 20

Tank Divisions = 25
Tank Corps = 25
Tank Armies or Army Groups = 10

Marine Divisions = 10
Paratroop Dvisions = 10
Cavalry Divisons = 10

Artillery
Corps HQ = 10
Army HQ = 5
Army Group HQ = 2
Anti-Tank = 10
Mobile Anti-Tank = 5
Anti-AirCraft = 10
Anti-AirCraft (Radar) = 10

Aircraft
Fighters = 50
Improved Fighters = 50
Jet Fighters = 10

Bombers = 25
Improved Bombers = 25
Jet Bombers = 10

Warships
Battleships = 10
Carriers = 15
Cruisers = 25
Destroyers = 50
Submarines = 100
Attack Submarines = 50
Nuclear Submarines = 10
Transports = 10

(NOTE: Some nations may start the game with more than this, so can not build any more until their number drop below the above figures)
Unit costs increased.
Tech costs increase over time and military unit techs cost double.

List of Generals incorporated into units. Where a type of unit has more than 50% Generals assigned to them the whole unit type has been given a "Leadership" promotion, in recognition of this. Where a unit type has a number of senior Generals also (e.g. ROMMEL, BRADLEY, in capitals), they have also being given the "Leader" promotion. NOTE: Some unit types have the leadership promotion assigned by virtue of there more elite status, e.g. Paratroops, Marines, British Fighters, German Panzers.

Most Eastern European Nations have had their cities buildings reduced (e.g. no Universities, Malls, Banks, Stock Exchanges, Coal Plants), to reflect their lower of Educational, Economic, Industrial development.
Installation Notes
1: Copy the entire "The Road to War" folder as "The Road to War - KiwiTT"
2: To install these files, find the location of the original ones (in "The Road to War - KiwiTT") and replace them with mine.
3: Essentially renaming the originals by adding old to the name and renaming mine to the original names. Here are all my modified files.

NOTE: Select Historical Play only as this is a "Realism" mod :)

DISCLAIMER: THIS MINI-MOD IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH FIRAXIS GAMES OR 2K GAMES IN ANY WAY. USE OF THIS MINI-MOD IS AT THE USER'S DISCRETION AND FIRAXIS GAMES, 2K GAMES AND THE MAKERS OF THIS MINI-MOD ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES. BY DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING THIS MINI-MOD THE USER ACCEPTS THESE TERMS AND ACCEPTS THAT USE OF THE MINI-MOD IS AT THEIR DISCRETION.

Now available in the Civfanatics Downloads section only
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13097

Please let me know what you like about this Mod
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=333629

Please report any Bugs or Errors in this thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=333624

Readme files attached detail the above, plus development notes

Great! Downloading now!

The artillery change is one of the things I'm looking forward to most, as usually I see armies composed of half artillery and half armor.

You'll notice a lot more Tanks and Infantry. NOTE: You may still need artillery to knockdown the fortified cities, so still build some, unless you plan to use "Bombers" :D
Spoiler :
Artillery can only be built in Capital Cities (i.e. requires palace).

I am currently playtesting Germany as Noble. It's 1939 and the Russians have the highest score (2000) followed by USA (1500), Germany (1200), Britain (1200) and France (1100) and Italy (1000). Scores are approximate. Germany is going to have a real battle on it's hands when it invades Russia. Ouch !!!

Planned minor tweaks
Spoiler :
Fortress in Danzig, Warsaw to reflect the defensive strength of these cities as well one in Belgium

this lil gem compatible with BTS 3.17?

and what folder do these files go into aswell?

It would be quite simple to do a search for these files on your computer and see where they are. Find the originals and then copy them.

To use these files, you really need to know where they are and how to rename files, etc.

A later patch will place these files automatically. But I am not so skilled yet.:D My current focus is on the technical accuracy and then on to the ease of installation.

It uses BtS 3.17 and Dales RtW UE 1.1 as a base.

This is fun! as you said though, the problem seems that Russia has soo many units that Barbarrosa becomes the end for Germany... maybe increasing the cost of the early Russian units would balance it out. It wouldn't effect the rate of construction later on during the war, but would keep Russia from having too many troops from early on.
I did find in a quick test that if you take away Stalin's Agressive trait and give it to Hitler along with Charismatic, the Russian forces fall to German superstacks... but can take out stragglers with ease. You might want to try it out!

On the other hand, it would be insanely cool if you could add a promotion to fortresses that would lower their heal rate. As it is, they're really hard to take down over a period of time. A lower heal rate could also represent the difficulty in quickly repairing large fortifications that got destroyed in the battle. Not to mention it would make the AI alot better at cracking those cities.

yeah don't sweat i sorted it , looks good although i strictly play acctual events 1936 global so 'll have to be quite deep into the game to notice combat diffs

i still hate this map though , may do a few changes on it , move some citys etc see if it looks more ballanced

RE: Russians too many units. That is the point. I am building a huge Panzer Army to prepare for my invasion of Russia as well as heaps of Stuka Dive Bombers. The multiple attack that Armor does will help eliminate 2-4 units per attack and I have built up my experience by using them on the previous invasions.

RE: Fortresses. I want them tough and to heal quickly (simulating Civilians help to rebuild damage) My bombers have virtually eliminated all the Fortresses in lower England and am preparing for an early invasion. Before I take on Russia.

The AI have knocked out my fortified rebel bases already. i,e, IRAN, North Africa and Arabian rebels

I am making my march up Norway now.

diddled with the map a bit, used your mini mod, give it a whirl , lemme know what you think

it's just the bad guys game save as for some reason i couldn't load the worldbuilder , but you can load the game once your mod is on via worldbuilder and choose someone else

Attachments

• Chancellor Hitler AD-1936-January-Fortnight 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    799.8 KB · Views: 301
here's some screenshots for anyone else

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 935
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 688
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 636
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 564
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 567
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 533
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 631
It looks as if you are doing the World Scenario.

My initial scenario is just for Europe.

RE: Russians too many units. That is the point. I am building a huge Panzer Army to prepare for my invasion of Russia as well as heaps of Stuka Dive Bombers. The multiple attack that Armor does will help eliminate 2-4 units per attack and I have built up my experience by using them on the previous invasions.

RE: Fortresses. I want them tough and to heal quickly (simulating Civilians help to rebuild damage) My bombers have virtually eliminated all the Fortresses in lower England and am preparing for an early invasion. Before I take on Russia.

The AI have knocked out my fortified rebel bases already. i,e, IRAN, North Africa and Arabian rebels

I am making my march up Norway now.

yeah, it is easy to win as Germany no matter how hard you make it...
seems like in my game that Russia has an effective ratio of 10:1 unit wise vs Germany... (I'm UK) maybe a bit too much? or maybe not, cause the AI tends to waste tons of those things on Finland. I'm a bit worried about the AI here, cause I can handle that easy, but I do like playing games as the Allies too. Of course, Germany has TONS of expericenced units, so it looks like its going to play out much like history. They'll lose them and then it'll be a long struggle to push forward further. :goodjob:

As for the Fortresses, they work either way. Civilian support makes sense. The AI does seem to eventually get them though once they bring in air support.

Anyways, I'm massively enjoying these modifictions!

It's good to have more people playtesting. I can getr more feedback and incorporate changes over time.

I'm going to give this mini-mod a shot. :)

I hate to sound like a jerk but has anyone else noticed large AI stacks standing stationary for very long periods of time, doing nothing?

Or is it some kind of freaky bug that only affects my PC?

There's bound to be some simple code to fix this.

I've noticed some stacks sitting around doing nothing, but usually after a bit, they all make a move at me. And that gets scary.
I think Dale did a bit of AI work that makes it more aggresive, but since Civ isn't really a war-based game, it has it's limitations.

Same problem with me.

I had to use 50-70 pz.divs to wipe out the stack of over 200 units, and this was after pummelling it with Ju.88 bombers.

However, once defeated the whole of Russia collapsed. October it was all over including all the other new cities. Now to see what the USA can do but I doubt it will have the strength.

Need to make the Russia stonger still or Germany weaker. Dilemmas. ;)

Found http://civ4.wikidot.com/system:list-all-pages

And in particular this Unit parameter

iAIWeight = Makes the AI favour the Unit (if positive), and disfavour it (if negative)

I will use it to ensure that the AI build more infantry and less tanks and artillery

Sounds like more work for me. :)

The unit preference thing could be awesome!
looking forward to it!

Top Bottom