civ 2.42 music stops; why?

geofelt

Warlord
For some time, I have been playing civ 2.42 on my laptop(XP) while travelling. All works well, except that after perhaps 20 seconds, the music stops playing. I can hear all of the other sound effects. If I select the tune, it will start playing for a while, then simply drop out. The same happens if I start and stop the music. I thought I might have a damaged cd, but a spare one has the same behaviour. I was visiting my son, and played civ2.42 on his vista pc, and experienced the same problem with his cd. Any clue on what is going on? I also just installed MGE on my vista 64 bit system. After the various fixes, I got it to play properly. Except, it seems that the music drops out after finishing the piece and never restarts.

Here are three different cd's, three different pc's, three different OS'es, and two different versions of civ. There must be something I am missing. Any ideas?

Hi Geo,

I have the same problem with civ2 on vista. The music works once game starts but stops after one song. It also starts and plays one song after forign emmisary or wonder.
The normal battle sounds or pieces moving works fine.

Its a pity as the music in civ2 is great and really adds to the atmosphere of the game. On my old laptop with xp it used to work fine.

I am thinking of setting up a game again on this just for the music at home but civ2 is a nice break from my work on new laptop when out and about in airports etc so It would be cool if a solution to this could be found. Like you geo, I use an original cd, so it is a problem of vista...

D.

Top Bottom