Mafia: Trouble on the Treasure Ship

Tee Kay

Three days sober
Seeing it's Chinese New Year, I'll go with a Chinese-themed (sort of) Mafia game.

In the 1420s, a large fleet sent by the Ming Emperor Zhu De and commanded by his most trusted admiral Zheng He sailed the waters of the Indian Ocean showing the power of China to distant lands. The fleet comprised hundreds of ships and men in the tens of thousands.

A few of these ships were formidable Treasure Ships. These massive vessels were possibly the biggest wooden ships ever built. They were powered by several huge sails, and fitted with all the innovations of shipbuilding known at the time. Being selected to be on one of these was a great honour, and as these ships were well-built and well-supplied, travelling on a Treasure Ship was (for the standards of the time) safe and comfortable. Usually, anyway.

One day, one of the ships was separated from the fleet and was caught in a terrible storm. The captain of the ship happened to be terribly stupid. The ship survived the storm, but end up far away from the main fleet or any port, which was a few weeks away.

At this moment, some of the senior crew thought it was a good moment to carry out their real task. They have been placed on the ship by enemies of the captain back in China, who wanted him dead. One night they slipped into his quarters and stabbed him in his sleep.

The following morning, his body was discovered. The senior crew met to consider their options.

"First we need to elect a new captain. Won't be too much of a problem - any of us can sail better than that old buffoon."

"Old buffoon he was, but the people who killed him needed to be brought to justice. Based from the evidence it is clear that the killers are among us! You know what we have to do!"

"As soon as we caught up with the main fleet we'll launch an in-depth investigation and persecute the offenders?"

"NO! We'll set ourselves up as vigilantes and find and kill the bastards ourselves!"

The Rules

- 1 mafia for every six or seven innocents.
- Nights will last approximately 24 hours.
- Mafia members will PM their kills and clues to me at night time.
- Clues can be either true or false, and they must alternate. You choose the veracity of your clue at the onset, and then they must alternate.
- All clues must be explained to me.
- If a mafia member fails to send in a clue, I will make a true clue
- Talking at night is NOT permitted. Actually I'll allow this, for now.
- Day will last approximately 48 hours.
- Voting will occur during the day. Everyone vote for who should be lynched.
- The amount of votes given will equal the number of mafia.
- All votes must be in bold.
- You can RP if you want to.

Special Rule: The Captain

As soon as the game start there will be a vote for the new captain. If a captain is killed then another is elected the following day.

- The captain will have TWO votes - in addition to the normal vote he may also vote for someone to be saved. Basically this means taking one "kill vote" off one of the accused.
- The captain will be the tie-breaker in the case of, well, a tie.
- The captain can only be lynched by vote if at least half of the surviving senior crew vote for it. If there's not enough vote, then the person with the next highest vote will die.

(I might change the above rules before the game if someone thinks it won't work).

1. cubsfan6506
2. CCRunner
3. Empiremaker
4. Catharsis*
5. Charles Li
6. electric926
7. Izipo
8. Icekommander
9. sirtommygunn
10. rhawn
11. Snerk
12. Lightfang

*Ship captain
Alive
Killed by mutineers
Lynched, innocent
Lynched, mutineer

I'm in............

Happy Chinese New Year, Mein froindin!

Yes, I know it's in German. Don't judge me! :(

In.
Also, nice setup and changes to the rules.
Was this inspired by that book by someoneican'tremember about that Chinese admiral that sailed to Europe in the 15th century and supposedly sparkled the renaissance ?
If so, did you read it ? And if so, is it worth it ?

@ Izipo: It was a book by Gavin Menzies. He also claimed the Chinese fleet sailed around the world, colonising America. The Chinese Admiral Zheng He really did exist and for a while China ruled the Indian Ocean. Whether he actually did those other things, well, that's unconfirmed.

I read 1421, the first book (the one about circumnavigation) but the claims were quite ridiculous so I didn't bother reading the second. That one's called "1434". Here's Menzies' website if you want to check out some of his theories.

No Inns in this. Lets see If I can get mafia three games running.

In.

@ Tailless : Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking about. Read about it and thought it was a load of nasty smelling thing, but will check a little bit more.

OOC: You mean right know? If so, my vote is bolded below.

IC:
As the sun faded into night, a lone man stood on the deck observing the rising moon. He failed to notice the other man coming up behind him, until he was standing within a foot of him. The man looking out to sea turned to him.
"Electric? Is that you?" the man who appeared said feebly.
"Yes," the other man replied. "Why?"
"Nothing," CCrunner said quickly. "I figured you were...one of them."
"I have little interest in the affairs of these mutineers," Electric replied coldly. "Until they come for me, which they will eventually do."
"Not very positive, are you?" Runner said with a slight smile.
"It's a matter of opinion," Electric said, turning out to sea again. Runner looked at him with an air of doubt.
"Is something eating at you?" Runner asked. Electric turned to him silently. "Thinking about who we should vote for our captain or..."
"I have my mind made," Electric interjected. "I trust Catharsis with the burden."
"What?" Runner replied. "How come? I thought you would vote yourself as captain."
"This is different," Electric said. "Catharsis has good judgement, and much experience at piloting these treasure ships."
"I'm still suprised you didn't vote for yourself. Don't you trust yourself with..."
Runner couldn't finish his sentence before Electric turned on his heel and walked back to the quarters with the air of someone who had been insulted. Runner pondered this for a moment, then shrugged his shoulders and followed him inside.

Top Bottom