Being an underdog- best gaming experience (long post)

Lord N.

Chieftain
It's only my 3rd Civ4 game, the first two I played some two years ago. I did play Civ1 a lot, and was pretty good. Since I won my two previous games easily at Noble, I started at Prince.

My goal was to build small empire and achieve the cultural victory. It went downhill at the very begining. My starting position was at the western part of the long and narrow continent (the only one), with a lot of desert, tundra and mountain peaks.

I established a few cities when the barbarian hordes came in large numbers, slowing my expansion and progress. In the meantime my Mongol neighbors expanded and confined me to a small corner, barely enough for 6 half-decent cities.

I had a peaceful game until 1600s, when Spain, Rome, Aztecs and Japanese attacked me. My only friends the Incas were soon wiped up. After 200 years of heavy fighting, we were all exhausted, and made a peace, except with Romans who were mad at me because I captured one of their isolated cities. But we didn't share a border, so the war consisted mainly of naval skirmishes, but it dragged until 1920s.

After that war, my border cities were devastated, my economy in ruins, and armed forces heavily beaten. I was the weakest nation, falling behind technologically.

The Aztecs took advantage, razed one of my cities and threatened my very existance. I had no other choice but to convert to the Mongol religion and asked their assistance. Together, we defeated the Aztecs. I started to rebuild my empire. Again.

In the meantime, the Americans, most powerful nation, wiped out the Japanese, which left a large peninsula at the far end of the continent uninhabited. It was not far away across the sea, and I colonized it. I also signed a defensive pact with Mongols which gave me hope for the brighter future.

Unfortunately, that same pact dragged me into the war with Rome. We still didn't share a border, but I couldn't watch my only ally getting beaten, so I intervened. It was 2011, and this was my first full scale offensive military operation. The war lasted longer than I anticipated, and I had heavy loses, but finaly I won, liberating most of the Mongol cities and razing one Roman city.

But in the final years of that war, a disaster struck - Americans declared war and began attacking my colonies. They had great superiority over me, their army several times larger than mine, and more advanced. It was my tanks and cossacks against their modern armor and gunships. My colonies were quickly overrun, and the naval battle began. Spain joined the war on the American side.
My small navy managed to inflict heavy loses to combined American and Spanish navy, enough to force Isabella into peace treaty. A few sucessful landings were thrown back into the sea. At one point I even felt strong enough to send a carrier task force to bomb American oil sources, but without success.

While the sea battle raged, Romans recuperated from their defeat, and continue a campaign against the Mongols. Soon they were at my eastern border, which opened a direct way to American land forces. They came fast, and in large numbers. I had to transfer my air forces to support my ground troops, which put additional strain to my navy.

The land battle was fierce, and the Americans suffered severe losses. I also acquired technology and started the army modernization program, which gave me some hope. But it was too late. My frontier outposts fell, and my defense line collapsed. Dozens of American troops started pouring into my undefended territory.

But instead of wiping me out, Americans accepted the peace treaty. I had to give them a large sum of money and the rest of my oversea colonies, but I survived. Once more I had to rebuild my ruined empire. It was hard to look at my former cities, now under the foreign rule.

Fifty years later, I was again dragged into war with Rome, again because of the defensive pact I had with Mongols. I shouldn't made that pact in the first place, because the Mongols were even weaker then me, and offer no protection. Fortunately the war was short. I crushed their invasion forces, made a counterattack and capture one city. for a while we bombarded each others infrastructure, and signed a peace treaty, very unfavorable for Romans.

I came out of that war stronger than ever, with a decent army and healthy economy. Defensive pacts with two most powerful nation (including Americans) should keep invaders at bay. I'm still the smallest and weakest nation, but with great culture. If nothing unexpected happens, I'll achieve Cultural victory in 24 turns. The year will be 2205. :D

It has, by far, been the most interesting civ game I've ever played.

Wow, does sound like an interesting game. I had one recently, where me (the largest power in the world) kept intervening on a different European style continent (crammed with Revolution countries). All the wars in that game took place in my colonies, none affecting my continent sized homeland. It was fun, but I have to try the "underdog" type of game, where you actually have to make tough decisions (like you had to with giving away your colonies), it sounds like fun experience to have :) .

My current game is a long struggle just to acquire some living space, facing equally advanced opponents who are mainly allied with each other. My previous game was a level higher, but a cakewalk by comparison - I grabbed a second capital very early and had half a continent to peacefully expand into, having blocked off my southern neighbours. The current game, while on an easier level, is the more interesting one.

At the end, everything went smoothly and I won the game. :king:

To illustrate what I was up against, here's the map...
Spoiler :

... and the power graph.
Spoiler :

I'm the orange one. :D

I got the be the underdog once.

Then I got nukes before my opponent.

Wellllll it's a :well: smiley. It lets you know when you say something awesome.

It does steal souls however.

Nice game! Hope you win! :goodjob:

I was the dog in the latest LHC - Roosevelt. I just got infantry about 50 turns after the tech leader, who didn't like me. With some war bribes I elicited chaos, vassaled one of the backward AIs bordering the tech leader, then invaded the tech leader. With Infantry/Arty. Against tanks, marines, fighters, bombers and the like. Once I completely eradicated that civ (fortunately it was another backstab/dogpile and I didn't have to fight a proper SoD, though I could have thanks to defending in vassal territory), I managed to get to computers slightly faster than my competition and build the internet.

The game ended when me and my two vassals took on the new tech leader and his two vassals, and I mowed down about 30-40 future era troops belonging to my enemy in vassal territory, then started taking cities (militarily we were at parity of course thanks to the 'net, mech infantry vs mech infantry with mobile arty and planes going around). Ultimately his vassals broke off, and I capitulated him and his larger vassal for the domination win.

I was #1 in tech for exactly 0 turns, and when I invaded the first tech leader, I wasn't #1 in power, production, or anything. :sheep:.

I was the dog in the latest LHC - Roosevelt. I just got infantry about 50 turns after the tech leader, who didn't like me. With some war bribes I elicited chaos, vassaled one of the backward AIs bordering the tech leader, then invaded the tech leader. With Infantry/Arty. Against tanks, marines, fighters, bombers and the like. Once I completely eradicated that civ (fortunately it was another backstab/dogpile and I didn't have to fight a proper SoD, though I could have thanks to defending in vassal territory), I managed to get to computers slightly faster than my competition and build the internet.

The game ended when me and my two vassals took on the new tech leader and his two vassals, and I mowed down about 30-40 future era troops belonging to my enemy in vassal territory, then started taking cities (militarily we were at parity of course thanks to the 'net, mech infantry vs mech infantry with mobile arty and planes going around). Ultimately his vassals broke off, and I capitulated him and his larger vassal for the domination win.

I was #1 in tech for exactly 0 turns, and when I invaded the first tech leader, I wasn't #1 in power, production, or anything. :sheep:.

Nice. :goodjob:

I've got to go read that game.

Top Bottom