Do mods kill multiplayer?

Romaq

Chieftain
I downloaded the Age of Discovery II mods and the Modular United Mods 1.2. They work fine in Single Player mode.

On 'no mod' mode, my wife and I can play a game over the LAN just fine. When we both have the same mod loaded, we can't 'see' eachother to start a game, even though both of us have the same mod loaded.

Am I missing something here? Sorry I couldn't find the answer to this problem within the forum, if it's already covered. I have not tried linking by direct IP yet.

Aside from the obvious fact, that all participants need to run exactly the same version of the mod, and it must be installed and run as mod (Because CustomAssets seem to get ignored in some MP modes)...

The MODs do not necessarily break MP, it depends on the mod.
You should try the mods separate, to narrow down which one is breaking MP. Note that it might depend on the map script as well.
Then report to the authors - they might be willing to fix it.

Art & XML MODs should allways be safe.
With MODs that use Python / SDK (custom program functions) it depends on how the Author coded them. Game going "Out Of Sync" is a common problem here.

If the game goes OOS you can "fix" it sometimes by saving (on the host machine), disconnecting, and setting up a new game from the Savegame... Tho it quickly becomes tiresome, if OOS happens too often.

I have no problems with direct IP with AoD2.

Next time my wife & I start a new game, we will try direct IP. Thank you for the responses. It would be good to enjoy the mods with my wife. :)

Welcome the forums, Romaq. :beer:

Welcome the forums, Romaq. :beer:

Thank you for the welcome. It turns out, if I attempt to connect to the laptop (a third computer), it works fine. Hers doesn't seem to want to connect except by direct IP. It could be something weird with the firewall, but I would then expect it to not work without the mods.

Life is strange, sometimes. But we are up & working with the mod, so life is good.

You may find direct IP will work through a firewall as it classes it as "local network" whilst other forms of network play is getting classed as "outside network" and blocked. I'd disable firewall and see if that makes a diff.

Thank you for the welcome. It turns out, if I attempt to connect to the laptop (a third computer), it works fine. Hers doesn't seem to want to connect except by direct IP. It could be something weird with the firewall, but I would then expect it to not work without the mods.

Life is strange, sometimes. But we are up & working with the mod, so life is good.

you might need to set u a network had the same problam with my brother do you know how to setup up a network if not i send awnsers next post

Direct IP works fine, though the 'LAN Discovery Mode' would work better if it were possible, same as normal play.

We have not played for a while, but as I recall the option to 'buy out' a project when you were missing resources caused Out Of Sync errors. I can attempt to help pin this down if it's significant and likely to be bug-fixable.

Top Bottom