The Fortress of Gaia - For those that want a challenge!

Ondskan

Emperor
Hello :)

This is the Fortress of Gaia scenario that I have made. You are playing as the grand-grandchild of a group of emigrants that fled the corrupt tribes of the outer ring. Today they have destroyed their land almost completely with deforestation and pollution. Only your little haven remains and they want it! That means you're in a war with three tribes and they are locked against you.

On top of that there's a strong barbarian presance which might destroy you all if you do not act quickly.
The inability to build settlers will force you to find other ways to make sure that the barbarians don't spawn!

It uses the same units and rules as normal CIV with a few exceptions:

You can't research any Gov techs except Feudualism. You start with Republic, they start with despotism. I advise you not to fall in Anarchy :)
Also republic pays only 1 and not 2 gold and has some military support. (1,3,4)

You can' build settlers, but you start with one. Use it wisely!
The enemy can't build them neither and doesn't start with any.

The barbarians can build Three Maned Chariots and later Guerillas!

More victory points are gained from civilization advances and less from killing units.

The path to victory is as follows:
Culture: Show the other tribes that your way is the best and that they will prosper if they choose it.

Conquest: Destroy the enemy/submit them!

Space Victory: Get the hell out of this sucky planet.

Victory Points: Capture VP locations, build wonders and kill units to win!

A screenie :) Wouldn't want to show more to spoil it!

Have fun and DON'T even try to play this on harder than demigod! :crazyeye::goodjob:

Oh yeah, you must play as the Iriqous!

The scenario is now complete except for the two bugs explained below.
They aren't a big issue though and actually make the game quite interesting!

All balancing/tweaking is done. Please comment :)

Attachments

• Your land.JPG
    Your land.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 917
  • The Fortress of Gaia.rar
    36.4 KB · Views: 180
There's an issue with the scenario:

Victory points are spawning randomly which sucks.

edit: Seems they aren't spawning randomly.

I have put up 4 victory points.
But for some reason 4 more spawn in 4 different, always the same, places on the map.

A bit weird but to balance it out each of those locations is now a fortress.
//INPUT// The AI seems to react well to this and send units to fortresses to defend. Very interesting.

Hold it for extra points: 25 Each turn! :)

Seems to be one more issue.
I thought barbarian advanced units couldn't be built before someone developed the technology needed. Well we're all still in Ancient times and they've got guerillas :S

They aren't a big problem tho since human civs have a bonus against them. Still, it makes it unbalanced against the AI - somewhat.

If someone can help me with this then the scenario is pretty much done except.

Sounds interesting, but not really for me...

I like to build settlers and expand as well as capturing cities and all that stuff...

Advanced barbarians are the offensive ones like horseman and basic are warriors in the main game...

Yes but advanced barbarians can't be build before some pre-requirement is completed. And I thought it was the tech "horsebackriding" in that case.

But maybe its X cities?

Yea but when who reaches it?
If it is the player, they could be miles behind(or in front) in tech so it wouldn't be good because people could have infantry attacking three man chariot
If it is the first to discover it they might be miles ahead in tech and they will have guerillas vs guerillas with everyone else with, say, knights...

Well then "everyone ellse" die :) it's a challenging scenario. Though fighting barbarians isn't that hard in a scenario like this where you don't have to bother with expanding in the traditional sense.

The problem is that nobody has reached guerillas yet.

Besides there's only two teams.

3 Computer enemies VS you :)

Might be creating one new map like this but far bigger and more expansive in the future. I'm not sure why this didn't gather much praise or hate or interest at all. Perhaps someone could help me make it better?

I'm basicly trying to do something new out of Civ that makes it more like a mission (keepign supply lines alive so you can hold your victory points for example) and not just mass units and buildings and do classic diplomacy.

Cheers.

Also the idea with the guerillas was basicly that they would stand a chance later in game when you reach the modern age to. Considering that you can't eliminate them completely since you can't build settlers. Im not sure if I ever worked around this. I'm going to check that out tomorow or something.

With respect to the barbarians, there must be a trigger for the appearance of the advanced barbarians hard coded into the game. In my mods, I use the swordsman for the basic barbarian, and the Cossack for the advanced barbarian, and the Cossacks generally show up before I am out of the Ancient Era. For the barbarian naval unit, I use the privateer, and that will appear in the Ancient Era as well.

With the increase in barbarian capabilities, I make sure that I get the Great Wall as soon as it is available. The scenario does sound interesting, but I have never played the Iroquois before. I will download and take a look at it.

Gah, can't find my CD's atm and can't bother downloading the game. So my testing and remaking of the map will take some extra time. They are here in the boxes somewhere - I have just moved.

Great wall is GREAT ;). The early Two man chariots can't reach you because of the high mountains and give you a little breathing space - even if the games slightly bugged and brings up Guerillas to early. So you don't need it right away. But at the same time you'd want to go on it quite fast so that the others don't geti t.

Tell me how you liked it and what was missing or what could be added in a bigger scenario.
Im thinking of creating something fun like a special island civilization that can't build boats due to the lack of wood (imagined) and if you take over their cities you can build settlers. I'll have to see if that's possible, I don't think so though - maybe they have a unique tech with an unique buildign that enables them to build settlers though and thusly when you take over them you inherit the building? Would add some extra element IMO.

Top Bottom