[SDK] Mountains: back to service

NeverMind

Proud to be Russian
SDK modcomp for BtS 3.19

This mod brings mountains back to the game. Now they are more in Civ3 style.

Features
  • Peaks are passable (it takes 1 extra movement)
  • Peaks give 1 or 2 hammers
  • Peaks are workable (build roads and mines)
  • Peaks can have bonuses (aluminium, coal, copper, iron, marble, stone, uranium, gems, gold, silver)
  • Peaks give +75% defence bonus

New XML tags for modders
- GlobalDefines::pEAK_EXTRA_DEFENSE
- GlobalDefines::pEAK_EXTRA_MOVEMENT
- GlobalDefines::pEAK_BUILD_TIME_MODIFIER
- GlobalDefines::pEAK_CAN_FOUND_CITY
- Civ4BonusInfos::bPeaks
- Civ4ImprovementInfos::bPeakMakesValid

Download (1.2m)

Installation
- Unpack it to your Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods folder.
- Game Menu: Advanced--Load a Mod--Mountains.

Thanks! :)

Yes it's quite flexible. You can easily choose other bonuses or improvements, using new XML tags.

making all modular is probably a bad idea and may cause a number of issues.
I don't think it is the kind of component that is suitable for modularity.
If you want, you just have to make the gameplay changes silent.

hi,

i have a quastion,

i wanted to make special improvment for peaks,
i created a new one, slope ine, and made it the only one to have bpeaksmakesvalid>1

but, even when i changed the vanilla mine - from bpeaksmakesvalid>1 to 0
i could still build a mine over the peak, and also te new slope mine,

so my q is this - is the mine improvment is set in the sdk or something?

i found a solution for this for now, i just named mine - mine2 in all the files, and now i can build slope mine only on peaks.

i really love this modcomp, its somthing needed to be doen,
great work.

This is what I have been waiting for SO LONG. I had almost lost hope. Thank you very much, thank you. I will try to integrate it with my custom mod.

Cool we can have develop some civ-specific city founding on mountains (Incans) too.

Would it be possible that not all Peaks are passable, as a sort of random bonus resource? I.e. Some mountains have natural passes on map creation, but not all of them?

The best mod components meet a valid need. Mountains were useless until this mod restored what Firaxis failed to do. This fundamental capability should have existed all along. I've tested this mod and incorporated it into my favorite Mod pack. :goodjob:

Thank you for your time and effort.

Sincerely,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Having been inactive for too long I have decided it's time to have some real fun, and that means modding.

The Mountains mod is something I just got to have. Tried to do it with xml and python before with no success. Am now playing BTS 3.17, so I would like to know if the latest release of Mountains is compatible. Having had some issues with 3.19 I don't want to upgrade at this time.

Another thing I have got to have is Dale's Combat Mod. The most previous reply mentioned this as well. What I want to do is add Mountains and DCM to chiyu's Extra mod (I think). I assume to do this I would have to merge the SDK files from both and then recompile? That's time consuming and time is hard to come by for me. If there is any progress on this by someone else I would love to know about it.

Thanks for any help.

This one has been on my list of "things to fix" since Civ4 came out - glad to finally find this. Great job!:)

Now, does anyone know if someone has created an engineer (upgrade of worker) with the ability to transform terrain - desert to plains for example or mountains to hills? This used to exist (Civ3 I think) but seems to have gotten lost.

Does anyone know? If not, any ideas on how to create a unit to do this?

All ideas welcome.

ONe thing.. well now you've changed mountains to be passable to all units, mountians are no longer obsticles. So why not make them passable to melle,gun, and archers and explorers? Because it seems like you've just removed the mountains from the game.

ONe thing.. well now you've changed mountains to be passable to all units, mountians are no longer obsticles. So why not make them passable to melle,gun, and archers and explorers? Because it seems like you've just removed the mountains from the game.

Hmmm ... I think you have a point when it comes to older units or tracked/wheeled units. However I'm sure there is a way to address that similar to what existed in Civ3 while retaining the value of allowing mountains to contribute to the resources that are available to cities placed near them. The essential element that this mod fixes is that in fact it puts mountains back in the game instead of making them worthless bits of real estate which they never are in reality. The vanila Civ4 approach is a poor solution to the point you've made re mountains being an obstical that has to be planned around for strategic and tactical purposes. From my point of view they should fix Civ4 so that mountains are as they were in Civ3 and allow them to be flagged as "impassable" if desired - that way they at least have some economic value for cities placed near them. In the mean time this mod fixes that issue.

I noticed this modcomp allows Stone and Marble resources on mountains while no quarries can be built on mountains. I suppose in Civ4ImprovementInfos.xml under IMPROVEMENT_QUARRY this:

<bPeaksMakesValid>0</bPeaksMakesValid>

should be changed to this:

<bPeaksMakesValid>1</bPeaksMakesValid>

to allow quarries to be built on mountains and get the resources.

Top Bottom