Fury Road Unofficial Map Pack

Seven05

Warmonger
Ok, some life to breath back into the mod, albiet pretty simple and nothing to get horribly excited about... anyway, I bring you two additional map scripts for use with Fury Road :)

All of the included map scripts fully support the Fury Road specific features including pre-placed ruins, partial highways and fallout (including avoiding blocking access to areas when placing fallout). I also tried to keep them true to davidallen's original map script so they reduce the number of forests and convert a portion of the grasslands into plains. Civ placement uses the same basic rules although neither of these two maps have multiple continents. I did write my own 'clean-up' code for the Wastelands.py script to reduce the number of peaks and jungles surrounding starting plots and preventing fallout within the initial city radius (actually a bit further, a 5x5 grid centered on the starting city). See below for details on the custom script Fury_World.py as it is substantially different.

Wastelands.py is a modified version of Civ4's Highlands.py script. It creates a mountain region with lakes and rivers scattered about with options to control the peak style and density as well as the lake size.

Great_Wastes.py is a modified version of Civ4's Great_Plains.py script. It simulates the great plains region of North America with a large mountain range in the west, vast plain in the center and grasslands in the east. Rivers are abundant and provide viable trade routes as most of them connect (aka Mississippi River) and there is a 'gulf region' in the southeast and desert region in the southwest.

Fury_World.py is a modified version of my ErebusContinent.py map script for Fall From Heaven 2. It is similar to pangaea in that it creates a single primary continent however it has several control so you can tweak the final map more to your liking. It is also important to note that this script is very slow compared to most map scripts due to the complicated method in which it creates the world (by a heightmap rather than random 'fractal' plot generation). The heightmap has some big advantages though so it's worth the hit in generating time needed. With the heightmap the script can generate realistic climates including buzzwords like 'rain shadows' and 'realistic flow mapping' among other things. For the average player this means 'cool deserts' 'fancy mountain ranges' and 'nice rivers.' Heightmap based maps also support substantailly better custom terrains and features with altitude, temperature and rainfall data all being available for each tile. This can be seen with the forests, there will be evergreen forests on high altitude plots regardless of the latitude where standard maps place the different tree types only by latitude. This script uses custom function for placing bonuses (resources), features (trees) and player starting locations. There is also a custom 'booster' in to help balance starting plots by adding resources to compensate for the amount of growing room available. So if you start surrounded by pigs, gold and corn you probably have neighbors close by.
There is no need to adjust the map script for xml changes to bonuses as it reads from them to determine which resources are availabel for any given plot.

Ther map options are:
Ruins: Currently not implimented, change it as you wish nothing will happen (yet).
Mountains: Can be adjusted to increase or decrease the number of hills & peaks. Due to the way the climate works mountain settings can have an impact on the size of desert regions.
Desert/Tundra/Jungle: Each of these can be adjusted independantly with setting ranging from none to massive. Certain combinations will obviously not work as well as others so setting all three to massive may not deliver the desired results but using it fine tune the map generally results in exactly what you would expect. If you set Tundra to None it will also remove the polar ice. Please keep in mind that the script is designed to simulate a single continent so you will not end up with ice/snow/tundra in the north and south, it will only appear in the north. As a result the temperature 'bands' are larger, at default settings (see screenshot below) the tundra can extend down quite a bit.
World Wrap: All wrap types are support but current;y not usefull in Fury Road and there will never be land at the map edges.
Unit Placement: This only affects human players, you can force all of your starting units to start on the same tile like it does for the AI players. Handy in Fury Road since you start with a city rather than a settler.

For the brave-hearted types, you can open up this script in any text editor and fine tune many of the map settings near the top of the file. Also, there is support for 'flavor starts' based on civ-specific terrain preferences but it is not currently used except to force the hippies to start on the coast as an example.

To install, unpack the zip file into your Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fury Road\PublicMaps folder (you'll know you're in the right place if you have the original Fury_Road.py map script there).

Attachments

• FuryRoadMapPack1.zip
    25.6 KB · Views: 421
  • Fury_World0_1.zip
    40.9 KB · Views: 429
  • fury_world0_1.jpg
    fury_world0_1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 969
I uploaded the custom 'Fury_World.py' mapscrip now as well. It's still a work in progress, technically, although it is fully functional and easy to control through the in-game options.

I think there's a link to an australia map somewhere in this thread. You could make a fixed map with all the major Australian cities (Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, etc.) reduced to ruins.

Several people have requested scenario maps in Australia or other places, but I don't recall a link to an existing civ map of Australia being posted.

Suggestion: I had two mapscript ideas I thought I could share:

Megacity Ruins: Simulates the ruins of a former megalopolis. Think something like the Eastern Coast of the United States with cities like New York and Washington, or São Paulo, which is megalopole level. A lot of ruins are there, mostly serving as great boost for hammers, but some ruins can yield good, juicy stuff to scavenge. Part of the ruins are being reclaimed by nature. Between the ruins, the countryside is dominated by outlaws and by nature slowly but surely claiming the ruins. Rural areas between extense ruins can be found, but there are areas capable of farming inside the ruins. There is still a lot of fallout. Due to global warming and some dams breakings, some ruins are sunken deep in water (can someone do a "sunken ruins?" terrain square? I thought about something like a destroyed skycraper half deep in water or coast water that gives extra hammers and could be worked on by work boats). There are some impassable ruins marked by a lot of rubble and destroyed buildings that can be harvested for shields, though.
Settings: Ruins rate, climate, area shape (Continental, Island City, Rocky City, Overran by nature) and rockyness settings.

Water World: Post-Apocalyptic warfare with ballistas and boats, hell yeah! Global Warming ran rampant, and the game happens in area full of water. A lot of ruins are sunken, fish and crabs are aplenty, but watch out for those pirates and those nasty seamonsters!

Megacity Ruins: Simulates the ruins of a former megalopolis. ... Settings: Ruins rate, climate, area shape (Continental, Island City, Rocky City, Overran by nature) and rockyness settings.

Water World: Post-Apocalyptic warfare with ballistas and boats, ...
I could write up someting for tons of ruins all centered in one primary area with some smaller clusters scattered around. The other ideas would require changes to the mod itself and more than just a map script. So while I can place ruins in water they would probably break something :)

I could write up someting for tons of ruins all centered in one primary area with some smaller clusters scattered around.

There was a short discussion about this a while back. I think it's a neat idea. From the mapscript standpoint, I think the difficulty is ensuring that each of the starting positions has "equal opportunity". If all the ruins are in the center, and one of the starting positions will be cut off by a closer starting position, then the outlying guy has almost no chance.

The existing mapscripts don't go to any special effort to make sure every player has access; but the ruins get placed after the starting positions and they are always at a constant distance from the start positions. So it is unlikely that any player would have no access. If the ruins are placed in the center instead of the gaps, this may be more of an issue.

I, unfortunately, have a lot of unwanted experience with starting plots now :)

It would be possible to force players to start and equal distance from a specific point on the map. If you adjust the 'cost' of each plot on the path to the ruin area based on it's proximity to another player's starting position should should be able to work it out so that the chance of being blocked is pretty low. In fact, in something like that it may even work out nice to place all of the starting locations near the edge of the large ruins region. Since you can't build new cities directly on top of ruins it would be a whole new game tying to expand into the metropolis rather than out into the wastes. Terrains could also be adjusted to that the metropolis would be all desert and some plains making it very difficult to get large cities up and running to make use of all of the tiles in ther fat cross.

What we need is a script similar to Fury_Road.py, which creates bigger landmasses and places players further away from each other. There should be Wasteland to explore/fight/survive, for now maps are too cluttered with starting positions IMO.

I guess different players have different preferences regarding density of start positions. You can always decrease the number of players on a certain size map, or increase the size map for a number of players. This may make the game harder than you expect, because the more unclaimed space there is, the more barbarians there are.

Well, this is the point. For now it's just about the first half of the game and the land is occupied and we see no more radscorps or deathclaws. Expansion goes too fast. I know that i can decrease the number of players, but I think it should go backwards: if you want to have more populated map, you can increase the number of players. So, when you play PLAY NOW!, you get enough space for you and barbarians.

Well, this is the point. For now it's just about the first half of the game and the land is occupied and we see no more radscorps or deathclaws. Expansion goes too fast. I know that i can decrease the number of players, but I think it should go backwards: if you want to have more populated map, you can increase the number of players. So, when you play PLAY NOW!, you get enough space for you and barbarians.

In my personal opinion, the current density is good, and it has gotten good feedback from other players. I suppose we could take a poll, and if more than half the players agree with you, we could change it. But it is easy enough to change yourself.

I just ask for another script, you shouldn't change existing ones. I just didn't have a time to try mapscripts yet at all :).

I don't understand what your question has to do with mapscripts. If you want to decrease the player density, you can do that in the "play now!" screen.

Do you mean Fury Road mapscript? I played custom scripts avaliable in this thread (and that's why I post it) and I talk about them, and I don't remember this option :).

This is a standard vanilla thing, also available in any mod. It has nothing to do with mapscripts. Pick a map size and *pick* a number of players.

Top Bottom