Mini-NOTW I: "To Kill a Mockingbird" (Game Thread)

Diamondeye

So Happy I Could Die
Mini-NOTW I:
"To kill a mockingbird"

"... A terrible scream pierced the night, just before sunrise. The villagers quickly ran into the street to see what was happening.
Soon, the entire population of the village was gathered in a circle around the village plaza. In the middle of the circle, on the rain-wet cobblestones, was the corpse of Clairone. Her neck had been broken and her head protruded from her body at an unnatural angle.

The silence among the villagers was intense. Who would do such a thing?

Finally, the mayor of the village stepped forth and spoke: "Only a monster would do something like this - the entire village might be in danger! I will stay, and I ask for the strongest men of the village to join me in my stay, for we need to root out this evil. It looks as if we have a killer on our hands."

The village exploded in panic as the mayor ended his short speech. Women, children, and even most of the men of the village left the village to seek safety against this monstrous killer.

In the end, only a dozen or so villagers stayed back, intent on finding the killer, or for their own reasons..."

CHARACTER/PLAYER LIST:

Love/Bard/Mutilated, Night 1
Sepuku/Blacksmith/Tortured and killed, Night 3
Ekolite/City Guard/Hung, Day 3
LightFang/Local Merchant/Hung, Day 4 (Wolf)
PaulusIII/Magic Adept/Poisoned, Night 4
Winston Hughes/Mayor/Mutilated, Night 2
Tasslehoff/Maniac/Alive
Rhawn/Drunkard/Alive
J-Man/Traveller/Alive
BananaLee/Stonemason/Alive
Icekommander/Innkeeper/Alive
Thomas.Berubeg/Hunter/Alive

Special rules
Updates:
-There will be two game days each week. Nights will start Thursday and Sunday, and last 24 hours.
-Updates will be at 20:00 CET, taking Summertime savings into account.

Voting:
-In order to be "lynched", a player needs atleast one fourth of the votes.
-Early in the game, the player to be "lynched" must have two votes more than the follow-up. This ends at 8 players left.
-There will be no conversion mechanics in this game, it is simply too small.

I, as a GM, will do my best to keep the "fantasy feel" of the game - I urge the players to try and roleplay their characters to up this feeling. If you feel your character description in the PM is lacking something, feel free to add what you want, within the framework of the story (ie: Unless your PM states something else, you have not been the ruler of a village, the secret son of Dain the Caswellawn, etc.)

That's it!

Update posts:
Night falls, day 0
Morning comes, day 1: Love is found dead
Night falls, day 1
Morning comes, day 2: Winston Hughes is found dead
Night falls, day 2
Morning comes, day 3: Sepuku is found dead

Update: Day 0

It is now day, and posting is open. There will be No voting on the first day - it serves merely as an opportunity for the players to "check in" and establish their character roleplay-wise.

Night will fall in roughly 27 hours.

Last edited:
The hunter leaned backwards his chair in the inn, blowing smoke out of his mouth from his long clay pipe. looking out from under his hood towards the others gathered, he spoke

Yep... So one of you killed, her, eh? whatcha go about doing that for?

The Major of Awrail stands before the gathered men, a look of resolute determination upon his face.

This is a dark hour indeed, my friends. Clairone was surely a gift to this village from the gods, a sweet and gentle girl with a voice that never failed to lift our hearts.

But what is more, she was like a daughter to me...

He closes his eyes momentarily, and takes a deep breath.

Clairone came here to escape persecution, and we - being good and kindly people - took her in, an act for which she never ceased to pay us gratitude...

And yet it seems that even here, in our close-knit little community, she could not escape from those who would do her harm.

But let it be known, this beast will not escape justice. Though we are slow to anger, he will learn that when vengeance is called for, the men of Awrail can be relied upon to inflict a most terrible punishment!

The local merchant's eyes shifted back and forth, clearly still shocked at the scene.

Terrible, isn't it? All I wanted to do was buy and sell, even sell and buy occasionally. And now this comes up.

I wish I had your resolution, Hunter, just leaning back in your chair all calmly. How can you stay calm under these circumstances? Ah, well, I suppose that's what you pick up doing that hunting business.

This is a tradgy! I used to think such things only happened in the big cities and not in our quiet community! Clairone will be missed...greatly so. I used to hear her singing sometimes as I was working at the forge and her soft voice always made everything seem ok...but I thank each and everyone of you for staying to help bring her killer to justice! I dont know what exactly I can do to help, I just made horse shoes and the occasional door knob but if I can help in anyway im willing to do all I can to help cath this monster! but first things first, I think we need to do somethin about her body...its not right just leavin her there...

How in the Gods' names can this happen? Absolutely dirty work is afoot here. Let us hope the killer is not amongst the women and children who left this village - yet I wish there was no damned killer here at all.

"A tragedy this is. Not only is her beautiful voice lost forever, we now know there is a killer on the loose. This was a nice town to quietly study magic before I had improved to a level where they'd admit me into the Mages' Guild of Nimarail... it seems I was mistaken about the quiet. But still I owe the village a debt. By Oghma, we will find the vile creatures who did this to Clairone."

The sound of vomiting is heard in an alley. Moments later a loud crash is heard followed by rhawn stumbling out of the alley and tumbling face first into the street. Face bloodied and tunic covered in something yellow and slimy, he holds his tankard up. "Didn schpill a drop. Notta drop."

He slowly stands using the support of a trough and downs the rest of his drink, oblivious to the morning's events and the scared and angry crowd around him.

How in the Gods' names can this happen? Absolutely dirty work is afoot here. Let us hope the killer is not amongst the women and children who left this village - yet I wish there was no damned killer here at all.

I agree completely BananaLee. Though, I'd rather the monster was here with us then with my wife, son, all the others...

Terrible! This is just terrible for business! How am I supposed to keep this place afloat with just twelve people! At least my regulars are still here *glances at Thomas and Rhawn* With out you I think I'd have to close down. *Shakes head*

Edit: Added another sentance at the end.

The maniac enters, wild-eyed, wrinkled clothes clearly put on carelessly, his long hair wildly flowing in all directions.

"I see! Piano ringing! Magic magical magic! Oh, the brilliance!"
He stops, seeing the scene of carnage.
"A beast! Killer! Death and blood! The beauty, broken, destroyed. Justice must be!"
With that, he stumbles off.

Well I think maybe we should figure out how to defend ourselves if there is a way from this monster. We need to find a way to kill it should we find it...does anybody have any ideas?

Or does our guard have any weapons we could use?

GM Comment: Editing typos and such is okay, but please do not edit out any content, I'd rather tolerate doubleposts. Also, in case you did not know, Love has already stated that he is away until Sunday, so do not expect posts from him until then.

Night falls in roughly seven hours. I like the suggestion about burying Clairone. Please keep the roleplay up, it makes it that much better being the GM. And any lurkers: Enjoy :)

The Guardsman has been silent until now, perhaps he is speechless that such an atrocity has occured, perhaps he was in prayer, but now he spoke.

''This is a sad day indeed my friends. We must hope that merciful Lugus will show us the light and reveal this dispicable murderer that lies amongst us. If the Gods are kind, we will catch this abomination before he or she strikes again, for they surely will.''

A murder! Who could do such a thing, why does have to be Clairone? What a loss, her killer must be brought to justice.

For all these years I'm travelling I have seen a lot of things but never a murder.

A murder! Who could do such a thing, why does have to be Clairone? What a loss, her killer must be brought to justice.

For all these years I'm travelling I have seen a lot of things but never a murder.

Death and murder are things I wish we could all live without and I think you have blessed to have seen none up until now and I'm sorry that had to change and with the murder of something so good and innocent...*wipes away a tear*
but thankyou for not fleeing for this evil act and staying to help do what last good we can for her and punish the one responsible.

I do hate to bring this up...but just how are we going to kill this monster when we find it?

I have been thinking and I cannot imagine any of you as a monster killing people...it scares me to think that one of you, my friends and fellow villagers could kill me at any moment but I just cannot think of who it could be! I guess all I can do now is wait for evidence to surface and trust Winston Huges to lead us as well as we have come to expect from him. I just hope this can be settled quickly...I am fearful for those who didn't stay, they could be attacked as well and I hate to think of any harm coming to my family...

(Yes, I know I am 45 mins early, but it'll have to do):

Update: Nightfall, Day 0:
The small group of villagers had gathered just before the sun set, to bury Clairone. They all remembered the mayors kind words about her being as a daughter to him, and not one of them failed to notice the tear that ran down the old man's face as the girl's body was placed in the grave. After some of them had covered the grave, they all went back inside the village, hoping to at least get a few hours of sleep before yet another day without Clairone's sweet morning song...

It is now night! Public posting is CLOSED! All night actions should be PM'ed to me.

This night will last for ~25 hours.

Top Bottom