HexNES1: City of the Dead

Warman17

NES Grandpa
This is the first in a series of NESes based upon a simple hex map which can be constructed in various ways to create various situations.

Story:
This is Marina City, beautiful and warm, hotspot of tourism as well as high tech businesses. This paradise on earth, located right off the coast, is one of the fastest growing cities in America. Still the city is not without its problems, gangs have recently risen in neighborhoods with a surge in the drug trade. Corrupt politicians have taken control of Town Hall looking to fill their pockets moreso than fight the growing urban plight. Oh and have we forgot to mention the increasing Zombie problem? Yes, today is the day of a sudden zombie outbreak in Marina City. Hospitals are the first to be overrun, as the patient’s taken in yesterday suddenly turn violent. The National Guard surprisingly moves fast in quarantining the entire city, taking control of the only bridge to the mainland. Now the city stands on the precipice of anarchy while zombies seek brains to eat.

Economy:
Rather than money or credits or other such nonsense your faction’s income will be determined by its influence in the city. The more influence you have the more you can recruit to your side and launch operations. Every hex you control is worth 1 influence except for special territories listed later.

Forces:
There is no military per se, however you will be able to buy subordinates with your influence and arm them if you’d like (if you’re humans). Normal movement is 4 hexes per turn.
1 influence nets you:

Humans:
10 Citizens (all): A: 1, D: 2, HP: 1.
10 Thugs (gangs), A: 2, D: 1, HP: 1
10 Police Officers (Police), A: 2, D: 2, HP: 1
10 Soldiers (Army), A: 2 D: 3 HP: 1
10 Mercenaries (Corporate), A: 3, D: 2, HP: 1

-Arms:
20 Pistols: +1 A&D
10 Shotguns: +1 A, + 2D
10 Submachine Guns: +2A, +1D
10 Assault Rifles (2 influence): +2A, +2D
20 Vests: +1 HP

-Vehicles:
10 Bikes: Increases movement per turn 1 hex for 10 people.
2 Trucks (2 influence): Increases movement per turn 2 hexes for 10 people.
2 Humvee (Army, 3 influence): Increases movement per turn 2 hexes for 10 people (increases HP by 1)

Note: humans get -1A and D at night unless their territory includes a power station.

Non-Humans
20 Zombies: A:1, D: 1, HP: 2
10 Fast Zombies: A: 2, D: 1, HP: 2 (moves an extra hex per turn)
10 Lumberers: A: 1, D: 2, HP: 2 (moves one less hex per turn)
10 Mutants (Mutants): A: 2, D: 2, HP: 2

In addition it costs 4 influence to create a new “force” which is represent with a 0-Z on the map. You may have up to 36 of these for obvious reasons. You will need enough vehicles in a force to cover all people in order for the force to move at that increases rate.

Force Moods
Each turn you can set the "mood" for a force either as "attacker" or "defender." This will determine how battles are set up if two forces meet on the same movement point. Attackers attack Defenders, and there is a coin toss to determine who is who in an Attack-Attack situation. Defend-Defend situations meet with both sides backing away with neither advancing further.

Battles:
Battles are based on a 6-sided die. Each unit consists to 10 whatevers. If you have 10 citizens they will require a roll of 1 to land a hit on attack and 2 on defense. Arm them with shotguns and now its 2 or below on attack and 4 or below on defense. When you land a hit you remove 1 HP from an opposing unit of 10 whatevers. A sample battle may be as such:

Round 1:
10 Police Officers armed with Shotguns (defense) vs 20 Zombies (attack)
-Humans roll a 3, hit.
-Zombies roll a 5 and 4, no hits.
-Zombie unit 1 loses 1HP

Round 2:
-Humans roll 2, hit.
-Zombies roll a 3 and 2, no hits.
-Zombie unit 1 loses 1HP and is eliminated.

Round 3:
-Humans roll 1, hit.
-Zombies roll a 1.
-Zombie unit 2 loses 1 HP, Human unit 1 has his brains eaten.

Zombies win the battle with 1 unit at half health left. Please note the above order of defender and attacker doesn’t matter, its possible for both forces to wipe each other out.

There is also the capability of retreat to a safe hex for a force of large enough size. After defeat if the defender rolls a 3 or below then ¼ of the force successfully retreats to a nearby safe hex.

Special Territories:
Star (Bridge to Mainland and Army HQ): +2 additional influence, +1D for any unit in that hex
House (Mansion): +2 additional influence
Shield (Police Station): +1 additional influence, +1D for any unit in hex
Helicopter (Helipad): Hexes with helipads can be considered adjacent, but only to humans (no vehicles)
Ambulance (Hospital): +1 additional influence. +1HP for any unit in hex.
Metro (Subway): Hexes with Metros can be considered adjacent (no vehicles)
Plane (Airport): +2 additional influence
Columned Building (Town Hall): +2 additional influence
Cross (Church): +1 additional influence
Big Ship (Port): +2 additional influence
Small Ship (Dock): Allows travel between islands.
Lightning Bolt (Power Station): +1 additional influence, linked hexes aren’t affected by night
Road and Tree (Park): -1D for any unit in hex.
Tall Buildings (Skyscraper): +1 additional influence, +1D for any unit in hex.

Goals:
Factions will be given goals to complete which will yield bonuses if achieved. The bonus will depend on the relative difficulty of the goal. You do not have to complete these goals if you wish, and will be replaced with a new goal as situations change or the old goal is completed.

Orders:
Your orders should be relatively simple. What are you buying this turn and for what forces, where you’re placing new forces, and any movements you wish to make. It would be easiest if you included a map with the forces and in what hexes they will travel through (a simple line will do) so I don’t have to determine a path which you may not like.

Factions:

Survivors (pink) - Icekommander
Influence: 24/0
Forces:
1 – 40 Citizens (Pistol)
2 – 40 Citizens (Pistol)
3 – 40 Citizens
4 – 40 Citizens
Goal: Take control of some landmark as a base of operations.
Background: This band of humans has decided to band together in the face of impending doom.

Police (blue) - Niklas
Influence: 33/5
Forces:
1 – 10 Police Officers (Pistol, Vest), 10 Police Officers (AR, Vest)
2 – 10 Police Officers (Pistol, Vest)
3 – 10 Police Officers (AR), 10 Police Officers (AR, Vest)
4 – 10 Police Officers (Pistol, Vest)
5 – 10 Police Officers (Pistol, Vest)
6 – 10 Police Officers (Pistol, Vest)
Goal: Clear out West Side Gang
Background: Maintainers of law and order before the outbreak.

Corporate (yellow) - Justo
Influence: 25/0
Forces:
1 – 20 Citizens (Pistol)
2 – 20 Citizens (Pistol)
3 – 20 Citizens (Pistol), 20 Mercenaries (AR, Vests)
4 – 20 Citizens (Pistol)
5 – 10 Mercenaries (AR, Vest)
Goal: Destroy Evidence (Control both Skyscrapers for 3 turns)
Background: A wealthy organization owning businesses ranging from electricity to stock brokerage to bioengineering.

National Guard (green)
Influence: 8/5
Forces:
1 – 20 Soldiers (AR, Vests)
Goal: Make contact with infected.
Background: Heavily armed men brought in by higher authorities to contain the situation.

Mayor (orange) - TheLastJacobite
Influence: 12(+2)/0
Forces:
1 – 40 Citizens (Shotguns)
2 – 10 Citizens, 10 Citizens (Submachine)
Goal: Retain control of Town Hall (+2 influence per turn)
Background: Politician hoping to use the power of his office for good or ill during this crisis.

Church (purple) - vruchten
Influence: 27/0
Forces:
1 – 20 Citizens (Shotgun)
2 – 20 Citizens (Shotgun)
3 – 20 Citizens (Shotgun)
5 – 20 Citizens (Shotgun)
Goal: Create a connection between 2 congregations.
Background: Religious figures who wield a mighty sway over their flock.

West Side Gang (brown)
Influence: 13/0
Forces:
Goal: Defeat the Police in battle
Background: Powerful street gang located in western Marina City.

East Side Gang (red) - Abaddon
Influence: 25/0
Forces:
1 – 10 Thugs (Pistols, 2 Trucks)
2 – 10 Thugs (Pistols, 2 Trucks)
3 – 10 Thugs
Background: Powerful street gang located in eastern Marina City.

Zombie Horde (light gray) - EQandcivfanatic
Influence: 10/0
Forces:
1 – 40 Zombies, 20 Lumberers
2 – 40 Zombies, 20 Lumberers
3 – 20 Zombies, 20 Fast Zombies, 10 Zombies (1/2 hp)
4 – 30 Zombies, 20 Fast Zombies
Goal: Braaaaiiinnns [take control of 6 hexes]
Background: Braaaaiiinnns

Mutants (dark gray) - Adrogans
Influence: 7/3
Forces:
1 – 10 Mutants
Goal: Gain complete control of the small island.
Background: Zombies somehow mutated to a more powerful form. Has shown potential for antagonistic behavior towards normal zombies.

Starting Map:

Nat Guard please. Don't you want to reserve a few more posts?

Question: Is it a total FFA out there (excluding player made alliances)?

Either way, I'll take the survivers (Which colour?)

I'll take the (EDIT) Police.

It looks pretty interesting, but I don't really get the rules. Maybe I should reread it. :crazyeye:

Nat Guard please. Don't you want to reserve a few more posts?

Reserve more posts? For shame have you all forgotten what simple NESes are like?

Question: Is it a total FFA out there (excluding player made alliances)?

Either way, I'll take the survivers (Which colour?)

Yes. However I will not allow any alliance between human and non-human.

Also I forgot to mention whose who color wise :blush:
Green = National Guard
Light Grey = Zombies
Blue = Police
Pink = Survivors
Purple = Church
Red = East Side Gang
Brown = West Side Gang
Yellow = Corporation
Orange = Mayor
Dark grey = Mutants

It looks pretty interesting, but I don't really get the rules. Maybe I should reread it. :crazyeye:

You choose a side to play. You get influence points to buy units to put into forces (armies) which are on a hex on the map (represented by a number). You then order them around the hexes to conquer land and fight enemies. Very boardgame based.

East Side Gang // Abaddon
RED
Influence: 9/0
Forces:
1 – 10 Thugs (Pistols)
2 – 10 Thugs (Pistols)
Background: Powerful street gang located in eastern Marina City.

I'll take the Mutants.

And as a question, since they are not brain eating zombies per se can they use equipment/vehicles?

I'll take the Mutants.

And as a question, since they are not brain eating zombies per se can they use equipment/vehicles?

They're mutated zombies, stronger and a little smarter than their predecessors, but just as aggressive. They're still not smart enough to use weapons and vehicles. Kind of think of stronger zombies/monsters from resident evil, or even just the playable zombies from L4D.

Brains......Brains........Brains.....

How do you gain control of a Hex?

Also, could you perhaps put the colour in the stats?

So we cannot use the docks? So we are stuck on the island? I hope this is an exception.

So we cannot use the docks? So we are stuck on the island? I hope this is an exception.

No they can still use the docks, and subway, just not helicopters.

How do you gain control of a Hex?

Also, could you perhaps put the colour in the stats?

You move a force into a hex and it will turn colors to your control. It will now supply 1 influence per turn. The force does not need to stay in the hex, it can move on. (So each force can capture up to 4 hexes per turn given normal movement)

Several of the symbols are not very clear.
Could you please produce a lil

# = This
& = That

I would like to play as the Mayor.

Preferable as the Honorable Joesph Quimby, formerly of Springfield, currently of Marina City :p

Spoiler :

Brains....Brains!

Top Bottom