Flood Plains

Mklangelo

Chieftain
What can be done to alleviate the sickness due to living near flood plains?

Anything?

Thanks

Mk

It never goes away all you can do is get health resources, forests, fresh water, buildings. There is no way to remove the unhealthiness you get from it you can only combat it with + health sources.

Thanks for the replies. Cottages? Now there's a remedy I would not have considered. How does that work?

Flood plains provide enough of a food surplus to feed a few hammer tiles; putting farms on them might be excessive. Especially if it means you need to leave some of them idle:

Every flood plain you work is a good tile (even if the health cap matters, it's still 2.6 food, 1 commerce and whatever improvement you have), every flood plain you don't work is horrible (-0.4:health: for nothing).

Cottages don't help with unhealthiness-but the commerce they generate can go into research for techs (and buildings that can be built with certain techs) to alleviate unhealthiness or commerce can go into gold can be used to buy health resources from AIs. Also the gold can be used to support a military to take health resources from AIs.

6 FP gives you 2.4:yuck: which is rounded down to 2 :yuck:. If you placed 6 cottages on those FP you would have +6 :food: which is more than enough to negate the 2 :yuck:. Likewise you could use any combination of tile improvements you wanted and easily make up for the :yuck:

If you had 20 FP in your city that would be 8 :yuck: but you would also have +20 :food: before improvements and when adjusted you still have +12 :food: surplus. Don't worry about :yuck: as long as you have the :food: surplus to counter it.

Flood plains provide enough of a food surplus to feed a few hammer tiles; putting farms on them might be excessive. Especially if it means you need to leave some of them idle:

Every flood plain you work is a good tile (even if the health cap matters, it's still 2.6 food, 1 commerce and whatever improvement you have), every flood plain you don't work is horrible (-0.4:health: for nothing).

Any improvement on a flood plain is incredible. I've used farms, watermills, workshops, cottages ofc. An extra food is always sweet.

Don't worry about :yuck: as long as you have the :food: surplus to counter it.

There's one way that I would expect it to make a small difference- you can't have "We Love the Foo Day" if your city has any unhappiness OR unhealth, regardless of whether or not the unhealth is actually affecting your city overall, IIRC.

Remember, an unhealthy floodplain is at worst food-neutral (2 food = 1 pop), so unhealthiness is never a real problem.

If you have a really, really big patch of flood plains, don't found a city right in the middle of it if you don't have a base of health resources yet (even though such a city will someday be an absolute monster). Split the flood plains up, and the health hit won't be as bad--and you'll be working more of those great tiles sooner.

If you have a couple of forests in your city radius, don't chop them--leave them be.

Make sure the city is on the river. Sometimes, it may look like a desert tile just off the river would be a good city spot--but you won't get the freshwater (or a levee or free trade connection).

If you're bumping up to the health cap, cottages are better than farms.

Beyond that, it's just the usual stuff--hook up the city to your trade network, get health resources, build a granary ASAP and an aqueduct eventually.

As people have said, those flood plains are never a BAD thing--but by keeping health in mind as you settle and grow the city, you can mitigate the problem and make them even better.

Remember, an unhealthy floodplain is at worst food-neutral (2 food = 1 pop), so unhealthiness is never a real problem.

It's at worst food neutral if you are working it. If not it's unhealth without immediate benefit (though presumably you will work it eventually).

the only way to remove the :yuck: is to build things like factories and coal plants and hope for global warming to strike your flood plains... its a pretty good strategy i know but it is the only solution to "remove" the :yuck:

light beige with green spots. (look at a pic in the civopedia thing)

and build farms

rush -excess population via slavery

troops, buildings, war or non war-

a cottage on a flood plain? lol

What can be done to alleviate the sickness due to living near flood plains?

Anything?

Thanks

Mk

granary, harbor, health tile improvements connected to your trade network (fish, cow, etc.), aqueduct, don't chop forests here (keep two forests in big fat cross for +1 :health: 4 forests for +2 :health:, etc.)

Growth is frequently too fast, so improving with cottages instead of farms slows down over-growth and helps income at the same time. Whip excess population to get hammers rather than commerce.

...essentially what other posters said.

HELP... please. My capital city is SICK and surrounded by flood plains. I have ecology, medicine, refrigeration. I have built hospital, granary, grocer, supermarket, recycling center, aqueduct.
Geez what else do they want?:confused:

Top Bottom