NC XXV: Cyrus

Sian

Emperor
okay ... next NC, this time with Cyrus, Usually seen as the more warmongering of the persian leaders, whereas Darius is more of a economic jugganaut ... Cyrus is able to both get many big cities early on due to his faster settlers and +1 happiness, or if the map lets you, get a big, fast promoted, army and clean out any enemies close by.

the leader of the game:

UB is a Grocer with free health (+2) which allows you to get your cities slightly bigger if your happiness allows.
UU is contesting as the best rushing unit since it got a hefty +50% against the primary city defenders, the archers

Map is a Big'n'small with medium sea levels

Map Spoiler
Spoiler :
don't expect to be able to rush ... Stategic resouces aren't that close again (you'd have to do some searching) and the likely target is well defended

There are no hard and fast rules here, fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo, mapmaker extraordinaire, TheMeInTeam for hosting the series for an extended time, and all of you for playing.

The WB-save is attached (zipped, they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, I suggest checking out the BUG or HoF Mods), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC XXV". This allows you to play with your favorite Mod at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Prince, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Also, it should be noted that although this is a "pre-Monarch" oriented series, you are welcome to play it at levels above Prince. However, the AIs will NOT get their full set of bonus techs (unless your host gets too creative). The main difference is Archery, which the AI normally gets for free at Monarch and above. The main effects of this are in the AIs starting units (warriors instead of archers) and it also creates a tad "slower" AI, since they now have to tech archery themselves.

Attachments

• NC XXV Cyrus.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 247
Going to explore N of the scout to see if a better spot turns up. Then probably Fish -> Wheel -> Min then depending on resources perhaps try a CoL slingshot.

Spoiler 1000BC :
@Prince, Epic.
So went ahead and explored with the scout. Decided to settle 2N and build a nice food capital! The goody huts were especially nice to me; first giving me a scout. With both scouts I quickly explored the continent and discovered one of my favourite neighbours: Pacal! Two more huts gave me the Wheel and Mysticism!! :D

Pacal went on founding Hinduism and Judaism. So the double holy city became a very nice target. (Buddhism was founded in 3000BC! The same year as Judaism, in retrospect I could have probably gotten it.)

Since AH revealed no horses and BW revealed copper in Makal's city cross, I decided on a ol' fashion archer rush.

Luckily Pacal didn't have BW so he had no idea of the precious metal in his lands. :goodjob: A quick strike and luck on the draw gave me:
Spoiler :

It costed me my favourite wonder (GW) but in the end I got two very strong cities and a third to boot. Going for a very daring -> Oracle -> Theology while researching CoL.

nictel ... minor suggestion ... add your level and speed :)

Will start this this afternoon. Settle in place unless my Scouting reveals an awesome location.

Tech order: fishing, mining, bronze working

Build order : worker, workboat when fishing finished, complete worker.

A game with my favorite leader!!! I will be following close by!!!

I was thinking to settle 1N to get the corn immediately and flood plains after one border pop. The research path I was thinking is the wheel-AH-mining-BW-fishing. Build order warrior-warrior-worker-settler-workboat-workboat. What do you guys think?

Other way would be of course to settle in place and start researching fishing and let the city grow while building work boats.

Scout NE before making settle decision. I like good bureaucracy capitols when I can get them but otherwise I'm just going to mass food in initial capitol.

Spoiler :

Noble, Epic.

Ended up settling where I started. The first hut I got an extra Scout, so used those two to pop most of the huts on our island and scout out our land mass. Looks like we have one neighbor, Pacal. I'm not the greatest warmongerer (don't have the brain for it...though I'm learning), so I couldn't do the same as Nictel. As of my save Pacal has 3 cities.

My first build was a workboat, worker, warrior, workboat, settler. I had a RE that popped 3 archers outside my boarders. My scouts and warriors were lost to these guys. :( But they moved up north, and so I was able to settle west of my capital. Used the 2nd workboat to explore the island to my west, and look at that...horses. My 3rd settler was sent north. And my 4th was put on a galley and sent to the landmass with the horses.

Not sure of how I teched (forgot to take a screenie before I logged), but I have BW, and AH and IW. Did fishing first, so I could get use that crab.

Right now I'm looking to train up a stack of immortals and have a sit-down with Pacal. Any advice on this? How many? Should I take out his capital first? Should I send in archers as well?

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

@mwdowns
Spoiler :
well ... knowing that Pacal have a resouceless spearman theres a fairly small window for attacking him with Immortals

@mwdowns
Spoiler :
you cottaged the corns?

Gonna give this a go right now. First time playing as Cyrus so that should be interesting. Gonna bump it up from my Epic Noble and try this one on Epic Prince. Probably settle in place unless the scout reveals something interesting.

Decided to settle in place. Not a fan of a coastal start but it still looks pretty good to settle in place. Lots of food. Gonna tech AB -> Fishing and hope that some Horses get revealed. Go with my usual Warrior -> Worker -> Settler approach.

Will be back when I hit 1000 BC!

1000BC:
Spoiler :
I don't really like what the terrain and where I've had to settle. While there are quite a bit of luxury resources (Incense, Fur, Marble) and there is quite a bit of food resources, to my north there is desert and Pacal and to my south there is tundra and ice.

I have discovered Horses just west of my capital via a Work Boat. I took a little momentary lapse from teching towards Writing to grab Sailing. Currently I'm building the Oracle in hopes of popping CoL. I'm thinking of rushing Pacal with Swordsman as I've discovered Iron.

TL;DR: Lots of good resources on crappy terrain. Found Iron, probably gonna try and rush Pacal.

500AD:
Spoiler :
Ok, it's more like 700AD I forgot to save and edit this post. Anyway I settled on the island west of the capital and have Horses and have been pumping out Immortals. Then I remembered that Pacal's UU is the Holkan. A resourcless Spearman who laughs in the face of first strike promotions. So I've been pumping out catapult in hopes of being able to actually defeat his army of Holkan. But it didn't matter! 760AD Pacal II willingly became my Vassal State. No Capitulation or any kind of warring needed. He fears my army of Immortal as he should.

To recap what happened since 1000BC that I forgot to mention. I've met Boudica, Pacal II, and Bismarck, Mao Zedong, and Sitting Bull. I built the Oracle and popped CoL and I'm beelining towards music. I normally don't but I am this game.

1200:AD
Spoiler :
Ok, not so good. Everyone seemed to tech straight for expanding there empire. So most of the land has already been settled on. I haven't grabbed Liberalism but no one else has either. I'm hoping to research chemistry first then pop Steel and go cannon crazy on Boudica.

Loss:
Spoiler :
I lost. Mao declared war on me with a huge tech advantages and two vassals. Once I explored more I realized my loss was just a matter of time. I suck at maps with that much water. I need more solid land. Also, so many leaders. It felt like met 4 too many leaders. But maybe that's just because I play on the average Standard size maps.

@mwdowns
Spoiler :
well ... knowing that Pacal have a resouceless spearman theres a fairly small window for attacking him with Immortals
Spoiler :

Well this time in the game Pacal is building wonders and if you can get near a turn or two that's 4 moves you can take capital before he can get out his spear and seeing that the game is on Noble its even more easy

Emperor/epic, no events, to 10 AD:

Spoiler :

I don't agree with Razzlesnaff. We have a lot of land and there is room for some very strong cities between tundra and desert. Food everywhere, furs, gold, marble. Not bad by any means.

Tech path: mining - archery (hut) - bw - masonry - mysticism - AH - wheel - pottery - writing - fishing - aesthetics - sailing - polytheism - literature - math - researching music

4000 - Settle in place and head straight to mining and BW. I still don't get why so many people are obsessed with fishing first if we have seafood. Corn and sheep are more than enough to quickly grow to the early happy cap and regrow after whipping. I researched fishing as my 9th tech and workboats are ready in 3-4 turns at that point.

3975 - 43 gold from hut.

3925 - 67 gold from hut.

3775 - Archery from the last hut.

3500 - Pacal.

2700 - Pasargadae. Irrigated corn, gold, floodplains. Will be under culture pressure but the good tiles are safe:

2075 - Great Wall, legendary waste of hammers this time. A lot of fog to the SE and I didn't fogbust at all, but I've seen no more than 3-4 barb units:

1975 - Meet Boudica via workboat.

1850 - And Churchill.

1750 - Susa to block Pacal. I don't know how much land he has up there, but at 10 AD he's stuck with 4 cities:

1757 - Ecbatana:

320 - GSpy settled.

260 - Tarsus, future prod city:

80 - Last AI of this segment is Bismarck. I don't know the location of anyone yet.

35 - And Gordium:

Empire. Still room for 2-3 cities on the mainland. I need to send out a few galleys to explore the islands:

Techs. I'm researching Music to settle the GA in Pasargadae and fight Pacal's culture. His capital is the buddhist holy city:

Diplo. Pacal is friendy without fav civic bonus. He'll probably offer his vassalization at some point when I'll start pumping out units:

And capital:

How do you insert screenies in the spoiler-text?

Upload them to some site like PhotoBucket or ImageShack and then copy/paste the

And free GA from Music.

340 - Parthenon:

355 - Another GSpy at <20%. Scotland Yard in Persepolis.

480 - Bactra:

715 - Finally a GS builds academy in Persepolis.

900 - Sardis:

950 - Ergili:

Empire:

Capital:

Techs:

Diplo:

Nobody likes me but I'm not worried. They are on different landmasses and I can create some trouble with war bribes.
I still don't have a plan. We have marble, so probably Nationalism from Lib. But I have Music, so maybe I'll research it manually and get Military Tradition.
I'm a bit worried about Sitting Bull and continual BUG messages of him founding cities I didn't even know existed.

[/SPOILER]

@Ai Shizuka: Thx

Spoiler :

Till 1000 BC
I decided to play a totally eccentric game, trying an extremely odd strategy... THE HORSE ARCHER RUSH . I found horses on a nearby island (thx culture) and founded Pasargadae (decided to settle capital in place).

I hope that Pacal will have amassed Archers and not Holkans in his cities. BTW he has founded two religions..mmm...

1000 - 1500, emp/epic:

Spoiler :

This game is going fast. No reason to declare war yet, so I'm just teching away. At this point I think I'll tech to tanks for a chain of quick capitulation wars.
A couple skirmishes in the last round but now everything's under control.

1040 - Dariush Kabir:

1160 - Now something REALLY dumb. Despite my EP focused on Pacal right from the start I manage to lose Lib to him. I was able to see his research all the way and actually switched to Lib when he had a couple turns on Education. Then he completed Edu in 2 turns and Lib in something stupid like 5 turns. I was trying to get Astro from Lib. Oh well.

1210 - Boudica was in wheoohrn vs me actually and finally declares war, bribing Bismarck as well. Not impressed by her stack:

And when I bribe Pacal she turns back home with her galleys. A bit confused aren't we Boudica?

1220 - I'm not settling aggressively the little islands. I don't really care about them without the GLH, but some spots are still unclaimed:

1310 - Peace with Bis. Didn't see anything from him.

1325 - And peace with Boudica.

1345 - My cottages are taking off nicely and I don't see any reason to declare war vs Pacal yet, so we sign a defensive pact.

1400 - Boudica signs defensive pacts at pleased, so why not.

1410 - Taj:

1480 - A suicidal Churchill declares war. Pacal and Boudica declare vs him via defensive pact. His garbage is enough to unlock the HE and get a GG (Imp+Great Wall bonus).

1495 - Peace with Churchill. And I finally put to good use all the EP focused on Pacal, stealing Communism.

Empire:

Yes, that's Tokugawa to the W. Still no contact with him but somehow I suspect he's slightly backward. :rolleyes:

Techs:

There's more than enough time to knock out a couple civs with cavalry but I'm a bit lazy in this game. I'd rather keep teching and wrap the game in a single wave (tanks).

Diplo. Pacal, SB and Boudica are safe and I'll restore the def pact with Pacal and Boudi again when they sign peace with Churchill, wich has now a brand new worst enemy. On a side note, SB is HUGE in this game, but he's teching horribly as always:

Capital. Slight empire-commerce increase switching from Bureau to Free Speech:

Top Bottom