Deity AP cheese win

ParadigmShifter

Random Nonsense Generator
So you want to win on Deity? But you play with barbarians on, random opponents, and play the first map the computer gives you?

Try this guide. I'm currently last place in the HoF GMinor 70 gauntlet with this method, so it is by no means optimal ;) But it isn't difficult to cheese an AP win.

Settings: I'm going to go with the same settings that GMinor 70 has. That is: Small map, epic speed. This probably works on other speeds as well. Even on epic speed, it only takes an hour or so.

You want a map where all civs are on the same landmass.

Of course, this is deity so you won't win every time ;)

If you want to make things easier, turn barbs off and pick your opponents. You want opponents that like Organised Religion as favourite civic, and are fairly peaceful if you do that (Hatty, Ramesses). Gandhi and Zara have inherent diplo bonuses towards the player. Roosevelt have been ok in my games too.

Leader: Pick a leader with either Industrious or Spiritual as traits. They want to start with either mining or mysticism. Bismarck, Qin, Saladin, Brennus, Ramesses, Gandhi and Isabella seem good choices to me. Pacal and Wang may be good too.

Tech path: This isn't optimal but is easiest to pull off. You want to slingshot Theocracy from the Oracle. This is pretty easy if you start with mysticism. You need to restart if you miss the slingshot ;)

So tech mysticism (if you don't begin with it), Polytheism then Priesthood. If you have a resource you can improve with a worker, build a worker first. If you start with fishing and have coastal resources, build a workboat.

Otherwise, build warriors to deal with the barbs. Park them on forest tiles around your borders. Don't build a barracks. Use your first warrior or scout to pop huts and discover other AI. They'll find you early enough anyway so don't fret if you don't meet everyone.

Keep building warriors until you can build the oracle, then start it.

Next tech writing and get open borders with everyone.

You also need to tech masonry and monotheism to slingshot theocracy. Build more warriors or workers to slow down building the oracle until you will complete monotheism and the oracle on the same turn.

Take theology from the oracle. This will get you Christianity.

You may have already got a religion from polytheism or monotheism, or an AI religion may have spread to you. Change to the religion of your neighbour in that case, and hope other AIs adopt it. Otherwise, you will have to change to Christianity which isn't good, change as late as possible.

You now have a big window to build the AP. Build some workers (or more warriors if needed) first while teching mining and bronze working.

When you begin building the AP (which you can start straight away if you got an AI religion), change to Organised Religion civic. If you aren't spiritual it is probably best to wait till you can switch to slavery at the same time.

When bronze working is in, chop everything to build the AP as quick as possible.

Free Christian Missionary: You can do 2 things with this. If you already have a religion from the AI, use it to find the furthest civ away from you. If they are likely to be friendly and already have a state religion, convert their biggest city. Otherwise, find their lamest low food city and convert that instead, although it is wise to scout around for a while before doing this.

The other thing you can do with it is to convert a neighbour with no state religion to Christianity, by converting their capital, then adopt Christianity yourself. You still need to get another religion that no-one has as their state religion if you do this. It's definitely plan B.

When you are 5 turns away from completing the AP, change to the least spread religion you have, that no-one is running. Complete the AP in this religion.

Then change back to the religion that most civs are happy with, or no state religion if 2 civs aren't running the same religion.

Next, chop and whip missionaries of the AP religion. Gift Theology to everyone who is at +4 or higher diplo.

If anyone is at +8 or better, convert as many big cities as you can to the AP religion. Otherwise, convert a small junk city of each civ to the AP religion.

Wait for the vote to come up... hopefully win. Sometimes you don't win on the first vote but keep converting cities of civs that voted for you to the AP religion. You should win soon enough! Maybe ;)

Of course, things can go wrong (getting invaded, killed by barbs, bad diplo management).

But this seems to be a pretty solid plan that is pretty easy to do. It's not optimal but it works for me ;)

You don't need to oracle theology to win, bulbing it with a prophet works just as fine... Also slavery is rather useless when going for this VC. Also getting AP in a religion that noone else have(read:christianity) is often best as they then can't get voted for and with you as the only canidate noone else will take your votes. No state religion is often best for the votes.

Yeah, Christianity is probably the best which is why plan A is to spread it to furthest AI with the free missionary.

If you are spiritual I find slavery is good to whip missionaries at the end.

EDIT: You always want a religion for the AP that no-one is running, then you will be the only candidate.

while this theory works, how do you keep the AI's from DoW on you with only warriors? I'm trying a game where I'm Bizmark pangea/small/epic no barbs and have corn/stone/gold 3fp,1h good start. Popped BW,Masonry from huts(yeah on diety no less!) picked Ram,Gandhi,Hatty,Zara. I teched straight to PH while building worker,warriors, then oracle. My power is way to low, and I get declared on. or would occ be better?

OCC or not, it doesn't matter. You only build 1 city with this method anyway ;)

You have to rely on religion/favourite civics and a bit of luck to avoid a DoW. It's so quick to play however.

I play random opponents myself (and with barbs on).

I've won twice with this method, once in 365BC and once in the early ADs.

Wins so far:
Saladin vs. Gandhi, Roosevelt, Isabella, Peter
Bismarck vs. Isabella, Mehmed, Zara, Julius

The first 2 opponents in the list voted for me in those games, for shared (non-AP obviously) religion and gifting theology (sometimes monotheism too).

Another trick I have used is build a settler, build a city 3 tiles away from your capital, and gift it to the neighbouring AI. This helps overcome close border tensions.

Ramesses is a bad choice for a peaceful game.

As the human, or as the AI? IIRC he doesn't declare @ pleased, and he has a favorable favorite civic for this. As the human he doesn't have ideal starting techs to nab SH or make a fast run @ oracle, but he can religion swap for the AP easily (and build it cheaply), so he's OK IMO, though probably not the best choice for the human for HoF AP win cheesing (Qin seems quite popular actually haha).

Another thing I forgot to mention, research alphabet last and then you can up your espionage slider to 100% which can be useful to change a civ to your religion.

Did anyone have a go at GMinor70 trying this?

I wasn't last in the end, 20th out of 23.

You mean so other nations like you more for the longest time? But doesn't that like go away the moment you switch religion? Why 5 turns before finishing? Why not a turn before finishing?

TP - The idea is to have AP in a religion that you can control mostly yourself. You just switch into that religion temporarily to complete the AP. You will soon switch back to a popular religion - or no religion - if that is best.

5 turns before finishing probably was mentioned so that you can switch religions again the turn after it completes. Religion can be switched every five turns. On turn before finishing is fine too ...really depends on what works best for you.

So with the unpopular AP religion - likely one that you recently founded yourself, you can control how that religion spreads. Making sure that no AI actually adopts the AP religion so there is no rival in DV voting. Also, you can better control the voting % cause it's important that you don't have more than 75% internal votes. Lastly, there's more complex issues with AP timer and AP resolutions and how that all works.

Every civ in play must have at least one city with the AP religion, yes. Recall that you can gift Missionaries to AIs to spread your religion to them if they're running Theocracy (they shouldn't in an AP cheese game, but in the unlikely event that one of them bulbs their way to a very early Sweggy or something).

Top Bottom