Special Forces Units (Ethnic)

mechaerik

Tuturuu!
After i finished the regular Special Forces unit, phungus420 made a request for ethnic variants.
So here are their pics (i was too lazy to actually get in-game screenies but here's some pics from NifScope)

AFRICAN
Spoiler :

AMERICAN
Spoiler :

This is just a re-released version of the original:http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12169

ASIAN
Spoiler :

EUROPEAN
Spoiler :

MIDDLE EASTERN
Spoiler :

RUSSIAN
Spoiler :

SOUTH AMERICAN
Spoiler :

WWII SOVIET
Spoiler :

Enjoy!
Note: A few are kinda high-poly. Check the PolyCount and Unit Info txt file in each folder for a poly count and summary of how each unit was made (where i got the parts, who else's work is there etc.)

DOWNLOAD HERE:http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12210

The europe one's my favorite. Took me 3 days to think of it though. I really like making units.

EDIT: The european one is fairly high poly, so i would suggest putting only 1 in the formation.

Looking great. :goodjob:

How comes some are high-poly and others not? It looks to me like they basically use the same structure?

Because:
The African one is based on the marine, but has the cavalry's head.
The American one is the SEAL with those doodads
The Asian one is actually the Modern Warlord
The European one is the SEAL with the AT's head and the doodads
The Middle-Eastern one is the immortal's head on the marine
The Russian one is the AT's head on the Marine
The South American one is the Anti-Tank guy with no backpack
The WWII Soviet is Chuggi's Waffen SS unit (oh the irony!) with the Cossack's head

So they all use the same animation, but are made from different units with different PolyCounts.

I should also add that the weapons also have different polycounts.

Not bad! You also should try my full rus.spetz force! :)
What's coming up?

Yeah, nice work. Too bad the Asian and European models were too high poly count, but I'm sure plenty of folks wol't care. Having the Meso, American, Russian and Middle East was fine though, and works well, definatly prefer it to all just using a single model. That said I wouldn't complain if you re did the Asian one to be under my 2000 poly limit (arbitrarily set, but I gotta set one somewhere so that mid and low range machines don't lag out and MAF like crazy when people play my mod).

Since you seem to be into the whole ethnicizing units thing, and are getting good results, any chance you'd be interested in doing some ethnic variants of the Modern infantry from Zerver? With the 256 texture of course (1024 is just wayyyy too big a texture, and I honestly can't tell the difference... other then the bigger one caused MAFs and laggs out mid range systems)

Yeah, nice work. Too bad the Asian and European models were too high poly count, but I'm sure plenty of folks wol't care. Having the Meso, American, Russian and Middle East was fine though, and works well, definatly prefer it to all just using a single model. That said I wouldn't complain if you re did the Asian one to be under my 2000 poly limit (arbitrarily set, but I gotta set one somewhere so that mid and low range machines don't lag out and MAF like crazy when people play my mod).

Since you seem to be into the whole ethnicizing units thing, and are getting good results, any chance you'd be interested in doing some ethnic variants of the Modern infantry from Zerver? With the 256 texture of course (1024 is just wayyyy too big a texture, and I honestly can't tell the difference... other then the bigger one caused MAFs and laggs out mid range systems)

Theoretically, if you limit the soldiers in the formation to 1 unit, then it would have the same amount of polys as a standard 3-man formation. That being said, removing the bag thing on the Europe one reduces the PolyCount to 2046. I don't really like the bag thing, and i'm planning on using the Special Forces in the MechaMod, so that's what i'm doing.

As for what's next, i'm not sure, probably involving the MechaMod. I'm close to finishing on my mod, just need this:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=316901 and some stuff i've been too lazy to implement. I did have an idea for a few more units, which are almost done.

EDIT: They are done. 3 Ancient Militia units:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8007752

Fun Fact:
The Russian one was the only one actually based on a picture; this one to be precise:
Spoiler :

Last edited:
I haven't forgotten these units. I've been considering updating them, and adding new ethnic Special Forces.

Recommend me some special forces groups that look cool.

What do you have in mind? WWII era Code Talkers or more modern ones?

I'd make it more modern looking to be honest. Well, I'm mainly saying that because I was going to use these in my mods for the near-future era. Tack them on at the end of the regular tech tree somewhere or something. Anyway you could always rip a head off of one of Bernie's Iroquios or Sioux units and retexture it to look a bit more modern (maybe with some modern looking face/war paint or something). I made a few modern units for the Sioux in my mod, you can check it out in my mod's thread. I don't have a link handy, but you've posted there before so you know where it is.

yeah i found the pics. The Modern Sioux marine just appears to be a reskin though. Checking all the thread attachments did give me some useful stuff though, including a Symbols_of_the_World.zip file.

Hey I was wondering if anyone was using these units in their mods and what abilities/missions/code they were using for them?

I wanted to add them myself, but I wanted to get some ideas for what these units should do.

Well, at the very least you could use them as 'modern' para's instead of 'industrial' para's.

Top Bottom