How to change lighting intensity and colors using Nifviewer

bernie14

Filter Manipulator
This is for my good friend The Capo, I was going to answer in his thread but decided to put together this little TUT, hoping it would help others. It is possible that Nifskope may be used to make these sorts of changes, but I don’t know.

There are several ways to play with the lights and I will go over the ones I know. You need Nifviewer and a nif file. I will use the new Hitler file as an example…..

Open up your nif in nifviewer and click on the [+] until you get to the Scene Root NiNode. See the little lightbulbs thingys?....

NiPointLight “ambient color”, “bak_specular”, etc….. R click on one of those and get the Properties…….

There are several things you can play with here. The Local Translation is like “the position” were you place your spotlight. That is, you can change WHERE the light is coming from. This function works better/is more effective with some NiPointLights that with others. The Dimmer gives you intensity….the higher the number the stronger the light. The ambient and diffuse color values give you different colors. You can increase or decrease, you can even use negative (-) numbers. In this example, I increased the diffuse color “red” to 10, and u can see the red effect on the mesh….most of the NiPointLights can be manipulated to give different colors, intensities, coming from different directions. There are some that don’t change (the last two I think).

Another way to change some lights/colors is by the following…..go to the mesh (NiTriStrip) you want to affect or just R click on your mesh in the window. Go to properties and select NiProperties. In this case, here you will see your NiMaterialProperty and your NiTexturingProperty. Double click on the NiMaterialProperty…….

Here you can play with the ambient color, the diffuse color and with the emissive color. In the first example, I changed the diffuse color and in the next, the emissive color…..

Well, what about the shininess, alpha and specular? PATEINCE GRASSHOPPER, just getting to that. Go back to your NiProperties window and R click in the space under the NiMaterialProperty. A window will appear with a menu “Adds a new Ni***Property” (sorry can’t capture)…..from that menu, select “adds a new NiSpecularProperty”. Now, double click on that and Select “ENABLED”…..

Your mesh will turn a strange metallic luminance. Now, you can go back to your NiMaterialProperty and play with your shininess (will determine the intensity of the specular) and your specular colors……

Finally, go back to your NiMaterialProperty window, like when we added the specular property. This time, choose “adds a new NiAlphaProperty”, choose and “ENABLE” it.

Now go back again to the NiMaterialProperty and play with the alpha. You will notice that smaller and smaller decimals will make the mesh more and more transparent!

So that is about it. KEEP TABS ON YOUR CHANGES, because once you start changing numbers all around, it’s hard to go back if you don’t like what you did.

Please feel free to add any more knowledge comment and question.

great tutorial, thanks for making it, even if the changes of the values are the same in nifskope i see that nifviewer is better suited for this job [or at least getting the best values ;) ] because of the real time rendering of the changes

Top Bottom