Ambrox Stone Age Units

ambrox62

Emperor
Stone Age Units (5500 BC - 3000 BC)

This section contains a set of Stone Age Units that I've made, collected or assembled using models and textures released by firaxis or other forum modders.
Reading this POST you'll understand the purpose of this collection, and you'll also find additional in-game screenshots.

Looking at or judging these units, you MUST consider the timeline. During the stone age period, NONE of the involved civilizations had existed, as you see on this CIVILIZATION CHART. As consequence I chose a nude-look design for units, only dressed with leather, animal skins or rough textiles and equipped with wood, stone or bone weapons. I decided to give to hellenic and middle-east civs a bit more of civilized appearence, reflecting their future historical development.

Please consider that these units are my FIRST units, and I'm not a skilled modder.
I made these units using nifscope and photoshop only (no sceneviewer, no blender, no 3dmax, no other tools)
Last but not least, credits go to EVERYONE who made ancient units before me, who wrote tutorials, who answered my questions on the forum.

--> DOWNLOAD LINK <--
24 WARRIORS
24 WORKERS
25 ARCHERS + 1 SLINGER
24 SCOUTS
24 JAVELINEERS
24 SETTLERS

ALTERNATIVE UNITS SET
I've produced these units using blender in order to improve my previous set. I release them separately because although I think they seem better than previous ones, they may appear too close to common units. Judge them yourself.
Also read modder infos in the Alternative Set paragraph below
24 SCOUTS - 2nd Version
24 JAVELINEERS - 2nd Version

EXTRA UNIT
I've produced this unit on request
TROGLODYTE STONE THROWER

MODDER INFOS

WARRIORS

Warrior set contains 24 warriors matching the 24 civs of TAM mod.
The set uses 4 main warrior meshes, as showed in the picture below:

Spoiler :

1 - European-barbaric model (Vanilla warrior model)
2 - Greek-Roman model (BTS greek-roman model)
3 - Celtic model that I used for babylonian civ also (WarLord celtic model)
4 - Celtic model with short "kilt" that I used for egyptians and persians (WarLord celtic model with modded "kilt" geometry)

All models got the same clean nif structure, as explained in this precious The Coyote tutorial.

Each model comes with both shader and no-shader nif, all strictly needed art files, full working animations, modded UV to optimize facial traits. In fact to better diversify the warriors each other, I assigned them 24 different faces. The picture below shows 1-Carthaginian, 2-Lydian, 3-Roman, 4-Phoenician faces.

Spoiler :

The package also contains a full animation folder for convenience, but you may refer to vanilla warrior animation for all models. Use vanilla warrior artdefine for xml purpose.

WORKERS

Worker set contains 24 workers matching the 24 civs of TAM mod.
The set uses 3 different worker meshes.
I used vanilla worker model for workers who wear veil on head, as showed in the picture below:

Spoiler :

However, this model is not suitable for European, Hellenic or Barbarian workers, and there aren't other models from firaxis other than Indian one, which is absolutely not suitable for the purpose. So I had to play with nifscope by changing head geometry of firaxis model, creating two new types of workers: greek-roman the first, euro-barbarian the second, as showed below:

Spoiler :

Obviously models aren't exceptionally good, but it is difficult to create better guys using nifscope.
Why I didn't use the trick to scale down worker's head and to overlap it with a different head? Because sometimes funny things happen when animation is running.
So, when it is possible, I prefer to use a single model from head to toes, rather than assembling meshes.

All workers got clean nif structure, both shader and no-shader nif and all strictly needed art files.
The package also contains a full animation folder for convenience, but you may refer to vanilla worker animation for all models.
Use vanilla worker artdefine for xml purpose.

ARCHERS

Archer set contains 23 archers and 1 slinger matching the 24 CIVS of TAM mod, plus 2 hero archers (Androgeus for minoans and Nabucodonosor for babylonians). This happens because the set reflects a breakdown of TAM units, which provides 3 UUs and 2 heroes for the first archer's level, showed in the picture below:

Spoiler :

As consequence, the set is structured as follows:
- 21 "vanilla" archers using "vanilla" animation
- 2 "vanilla" archers with "babylonian" bow and arrows using "vanilla" animation (as babylonian and babylonian hero)
- 2 "vanilla" archers with "chinese" bow and arrows using "chinese" animation (as minoan and minoan hero)
- 1 slinger using "peltast" animation (as iberian)

Archer meshes are divided into:
- 7 normal "vanilla" archers (#1 - with veil on head)
- 5 greek-roman archers (#2 - "vanilla" with modded head geometry)
- 13 long-hair archers (#3 - "vanilla" with modded head geometry)

Spoiler :

All units got clean nif structure, both shader and no-shader nif and all strictly needed art files. Use vanilla archer artdefine for xml purpose.
The package contains 3 animation folders for convenience, and 1 "anim_effects" folder to manage the different kind of arrows when they reach the opposite field, otherwise a "custom" arrow starting from a archer turns into a "default" arrow during its way (read HERE for more details). Also I included there a brief arc_arrows_readme file to explain how to manage arrow effects.

SCOUTS

Scout set contains 24 scouts matching the 24 CIVS of TAM mod.

Firaxis vanilla scout is a native american, and is not suitable for Mediterranean's scout. Bts has got several ethnic scouts, but all of them are recycled models. So I decided to start with vanilla model, editing it with nifscope. I removed feathers from head, fringes from legs, and I unplugged the backpack in order to easily replace it with better object in next versions. Then I edited skirt's geometry in order to join it to the legs. Because there wasn't enough polygons, I used some texture to simulate skirt's effect on the legs. Finally I modded head's geometry to obtain 3 different meshes for middle-east(1), north-european(2) and greek-roman(3) models, as showed below:

Spoiler :

Models aren't exceptionally good, but it's difficult to do better with nifscope only.

All units got clean nif structure, both shader and no-shader nif and all strictly needed art files. Use vanilla scout artdefine for xml purpose.
The package contains 1 animation folder for convenience, but you may use vanilla animation for all models.

JAVELINEERS

Javelineer set contains 24 javelineers matching the 24 CIVS of TAM mod.

As you know, civ4 didn't get javelineer as regular unit, but there are 2 ethnic versions for Mali and Mongolian. Unfortunately both of them aren't suitable for Mediterranean's javelineer, although maliskirmisher could be fine with a better head. So I searched for a javelineer through civ units, till I encountered the dog-soldier and chose it. Dog-soldier is close to scout as archer is close to worker, and it uses the same texture also. As for scout, I edited skirt and head geometry with nifscope, to obtain 3 different meshes for middle-east(1), north-european(2) and greek-roman(3) models, as showed below:

Spoiler :

22 javelineers use maliskirmisher anim and nif structure, while 2 special javelineers (UUs in TAM mod) use mongolian anim and nif structure (model 3 in the picture above). To save memory I reduced dds file number moving skirmisher objects into scout dds. Weapons are cumbersome then stay in a separate dds file.

All units have got clean nif structure, both shader and no-shader nif, and all strictly needed art files. Use maliskirmisher artdefine for xml purpose. The package contains 2 animation folders for convenience (mali and mongolian), and 1 "anim_effects" folder to manage the different kind of javelin when they reach the opposite field, otherwise a "custom" javelin turns into a "default" javelin during its path (read HERE for more details). A detailed jav_spears_readme.txt file into "anim_effects" folder explains how to do that.

SETTLERS

Settler set contains 24 settler families matching the 24 civs of TAM mod. Each family consists of male, female and child settler (3 units).

Firaxis released several ethnic settlers, but most of them are recycled models. So I decided to start from vanilla models, editing them with nifscope. The male settler took most of the work, in order to improve back, shoulders and cover geometry, and finally to modify head geometry to reproduce 3 different meshes for middle-east(1), north-european(2) and greek-roman(3) models. The female settler took a little geometry work to improve the aesthetics of breast and pelvis; then I produced 3 different meshes which differ among them in UV setting only, in order to improve the clothing appearance for middle-east(1), north-european(2) and greek-roman(3) models. The child settler got little UV modification and staff teamcolor fix for shader nif (firaxis model is bugged). As ultimate addition, male and female settlers got staff texture directly into its dds, instead of require it from child dds.

Spoiler :

All units got clean nif structure, both shader and no-shader nif and all strictly needed art files. Use vanilla settler artdefine for xml purpose.
The package contains 3 animation folders for convenience (male, female and child), but you may use vanilla animations for all models.

ALTERNATIVE SET

SCOUTS

In the process of learning blender, I reworked my previous scouts in order to improve their look. Nothing really new here, simply an attempt to do old stuff better. Now you have 3 fresh meshes to reuse or reskin at your pleasure because I made them with removeable parts.

Spoiler :

Compare to previous version, the most important differences are:
they wear real shorts instead of textured ones
they carry a backpack smaller than the previous one
they have a removeable smaller horn, which no more collides with backpack animation
they have better heads for middle-east and european models

These units are fully playable with nifscope, have both shader and no-shader nif and all strictly needed art files. Use vanilla scout artdefine for xml purpose. The package contains 1 animation folder for convenience, but you may use vanilla scout animation for all models.

JAVELINEERS
In the process of learning blender, I reworked my previous javelineers in order to improve their look. Nothing really new here, simply an attempt to do old stuff better. Now you have 3 fresh meshes to reuse or reskin at your pleasure.

Spoiler :

Compare to previous version, the most important differences are:
they wear real shorts instead of textured ones
they have better heads for middle-east and european models

These units are fully playable with nifscope, have both shader and no-shader nif and all strictly needed art files. Use vanilla maliskirmisher artdefine for xml purpose. Tharcian and Dacian javelineers use mongolian anims, while others 22 javelineers use maliskirmisher anims.
The package contains 2 animation folders for convenience (mali->"anim" and mongolian->"anim_peltast"), and a "anim_effects" folder to manage the different kind of javelin when they reach the opposite field, otherwise a "custom" javelin turns into a "default" javelin during its path (read HERE for more details). A detailed jav_spears_readme.txt file into "anim_effects" folder explains how to do that.

Attachments

• warrior_models.jpg
    warrior_models.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 3,534
  • warrior_faces.jpg
    warrior_faces.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 3,204
  • vanilla.jpg
    vanilla.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,965
  • new_models.jpg
    new_models.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,974
  • arc_models.jpg
    arc_models.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 2,817
  • meshes.jpg
    meshes.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 2,697
  • jav_meshes.jpg
    jav_meshes.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 2,562
  • nst_mesh.jpg
    nst_mesh.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 2,598
  • nsc_mesh2.jpg
    nsc_mesh2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,299
  • jav_mesh2.jpg
    jav_mesh2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,032
Awesome work, this will be extremely helpful to me. Can't wait to see what you come up with next (particularly that Hittite Three Man Chariot :p ). Keep it up!

Nice work. And they are great for any number of units, let alone your first.

[patonback]

We need a [patonback] smilie.

really nice pack and an awesome program you want to do. :)

ambrox62, I love the way you made these! Something that I was doing with some of the more modern units, but have never finished the project. (Perhaps you have inspired me to work on it again.) Your changes are mainly cosmetic and it demonstrates that with some artistry you can create some very unique units using standard CivIV meshes.

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging words ;)

I've just updated a new version of the released warriors (May 12) because I fixed several nifs having wrong skinpartitions. It should enhance graphic performance.

In the meantime I've uploaded a Hittite 3men Chariot ;)

Spoiler :

Hi ambrox,

I love your warriors, nice work. I was wondering if you would possibly take a request. I am in need of a Polynesian warrior and I haven't come across one on the forums yet. Do you think you might be able to make one if I find you some pictures?

Oh, and I am also using your 3-man chariot, nice work there too!

Cheers,
ripple01

I am in need of a Polynesian warrior and I haven't come across one on the forums yet
ripple01

Very strange, indeed.
Bakuel (one of my preferred ancient unit maker) made a whole set of Polynesian units, and Avain collected them here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=317958
I think that you should find a polynesian warrior there. If not, send me a shot and tell me which model above you prefer for it ;)

As scheduled, I've just uploaded a 24 workers package.
Read the first post for more infos

Spoiler :

If you use the head meshes, the difference is generally un-noticable at Civ scale, and i suggest using it (Although it does look odd sometimes zoomed in).

:)

I made some units using head's trick, but I realized that applying head upon undressed body is far more visible than other cases. So I decided to release single mesh units only.
Probably I'll use head's trick upon armored units that I'll do in the bronze age series, because I'm not able to join body "A" with head "B" as I saw here (basically a body archer with a warrior head), although I strongly would learn how to do it.
How can do it? Using blender?

Probably I'll use head's trick upon armored units that I'll do in the bronze age series, because I'm not able to join body "A" with head "B" as I saw here (basically a body archer with a warrior head), although I strongly would learn how to do it.
How can do it? Using blender?

It could just be a reskinned archer head so that it looks like hair. People have done that before. And yes, blender could be used, but there could be complications (there were many errors that ccured before the unit was completed).

It could just be a reskinned archer
No, I downloaded it and played it with nifscope. It's a single-mesh unit. It got modded archer body and warrior head. When I finish stone age series, I'll try to learn blender. I need new models, especially hypaspist and spearman bodies joined with swordsman, settler and worker heads. I'll do a request on the forum, if someone is able to do that helping me.

As scheduled, I've just uploaded a 25 archers + 1 slinger package.
Read first post for more infos

Spoiler :

Nice units. I think I put something together from your skyth warrior and another to get an hungarian.

I am also searching for a better hungarian worker. Currently I am using Chuggis germanic worker (see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=228225). The problem with that one is, that it is a bit bented... Don't know what exactly it is... I have the impresion that his worker is always looking downwards. So I thought I ask you to make one. I could have done the same with your skyth worker then with the warrior, but I was searching for something else. The main problem would be, that his torso is naked - not very comfortable if you are working in the tundra all day (I was thinking of pre-conquest Hungarians, in other words nomadic hungarians before they settled down in europe). So maybe something eurasian, similar clothing like the civ4 asian scouts'. I'd like to use that unit as (turkic) hunnic worker, too. Don't let us discuss hunnic-hungarian-relationshiptheories here. The point is, that both had a similar style, coming from a similar environment and culture. So, are you interested in creating a unit like that? Not a problem if not, Chuggis worker is not bad, I could live with it.

Top Bottom