Minor Leaders

Valkrionn

The Hamster King
A while back, Notque's Minor Leaders concept was incorporated into FFPlus. Now, we are going to expand on it quite a bit. Rather than simply have Minor/Major leaders, we will have a third tier, Emergent. I'll go into detail below, but essentially current Major leaders will be strengthened across the board, Minor leaders will generally have 2 normal traits alongside the Minor trait, and Emergent leaders will have just one, unique trait, along with Minor. The posts below should outline Minor/Emergent requirements if you want specifics. ;)

That said, I can always use ideas for more leaders. I want at LEAST one emergent leader per civilization, with a trait exemplifying certain aspects of their civ... Look at the Dwarves for examples. One, a Slaver who is greedy enough to sell whole villages into slavery, and another, who represents hard work and ingenuity. Hopefully, some of you out there will have detailed ideas. I need Names, Traits, Pictures, the works. I can always 'borrow' from Opera, but that doesn't cover all the civs and I'd rather do both. :p

Note: I'm editing this thread pre-implementation. If a minor leader exists in game, but is no longer on this thread (Illians, Infernals, Mercurians), it means they will be removed in the next version.

To Do:

Austrin Leader - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8147107&postcount=190
Kane's Diplotext - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8370405&postcount=402
Corrane

Leader Contest Entries (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8366836&postcount=392)

Emergent Leaders

Minor Leaders
Trait Requirements/How to Contribute/Issues/Credits

Emergent Leaders

Leaders for a new era, these leaders will have powerful traits designed to reflect the nature of their civilization, or some aspect of it. They will be the weakest leaders, and yet the most powerful if used properly.

There are a few exceptions, but as a rule, they should have one trait, plus Emergent. The trait should be unique, or at least uncommon, and should emphasize certain playstyles over others. Again, the Khazad are a prime example... In one leader, you see a conquest-oriented leader, designed for a gold-starved civilization, and in the other you have a powerful builder.

Amurites -

Archos -

Austrin -

Balseraphs -

• Nojah - Arcane/Illusionist/Emergent - Neutral
    • Spoiler :
Bannor -

• Tethira - Instructor/Emergent - Good
Calabim -

• Mahon the Butcher - Tyrant/Emergent - Evil
  • Elijah Arnauld - Dominant/Emergent - Evil
    • Spoiler :
Chislev -

Clan of Embers -

• Hafgan the Purger - Scorched Earth/Barbarian/Emergent - Evil
Cualli -

Doviello -

• Baron Duin Halfmorn - Agnostic/Lycanthropic/Emergent - Evil
Dural -

Elohim -

Grigori -

• Prime Minister Esirce - Philosophical/Tolerant/Emergent - Neutral
    • Spoiler Pedia Entry :
      When I came into the chamber, Prime Minister Esirce was sitting at the head of the table, surrounded by his various sycophants and false friends. "Let me guess," he said when he saw me. "The Calabim again?" I nodded. He said, "they are a necessary evil. Tell me what they did this time." "Well, some of them are beginning to demand a return to the Old Ways..." "yes, yes, yes, fine, whatever. Does that mean following their religion?" It didn't, of course. The only time Lord Esirce could be expected to grow a spine was if religion was involved. "No," I said, "just their... hunting celebration." "We need the Calabim," Esirce said, putting on his Brilliant Overlord tone.

"Yes, of course we do," Minister Alyeris said, smiling her false smile. Anybody with an ounce of sense knew that woman was loyal to either Faeryl Viconia or none but herself. It didn't matter, her effect on the empire was the same. She was presently bedding someone in the Calabim empire, I reckoned. Esirce was the only person on Erebus unaware of Alyeris' many, many questionable lovers. The debacle with the centaur was, of course, merely the most often joked about and satirized, but the list of confirmed partners ran on impressively, and was likely a fraction of the total. "You see," Alyeris continued, "the Calabim have many... unique skills that could serve our needs... wonderfully. As a matter of fact, I was speaking with Lady Tepes..." I grinned at my fellow clerk, Anna. "See," I said to her, "I told you, she likes women to." She silently handed over the coins we'd wagered as Alyeris continued gushing over the wonderful things the Calabim, especially the beautiful Lady Tepes, had to offer. Several other ministers went red, snickered, or showed sudden interest as they figured out the subtext. Esirce was completely blind to it all.

Ragas the Lone interrupted Alyeris' ramblings, to the relief of some and annoyance of others. Doviello were assumed to be big, brutish, and stupid. Ragas was definitely big, but while his methods were brutal, they were also surprisingly creative, and Ragas was far from stupid. He had an incredible animal cunning, and adapted just enough to Grigori culture to be tolerated, while still being seen as a fool. "My pack is interested in these gifts," he said. "Will the People of the Bat offer it to us, if we will provide them with much Prey?" Alyreis considered, but before she could respond, Ragas continued. "To speak of Prey, my assistant read me Words from Front." Another farce; Ragas' broken Grigori and illiteracy were both lies. He'd made mistakes that had revealed both; pass him a document, and he'd sometimes read it over before remembering to ask someone to do it for him, and he sometimes soliloquized in flawless Grigori when discussing his latest schemes with his allies. "People of the Dog," that was the Bannor, "will not kneel. I demand money given that I may make them heel." Esirce nodded. "You! Boy!" That meant me. "My name is Remus," I reminded him quietly. "Yes, yes," he said with a dismissive wave. "Make sure Minister Ragas gets the money he needs." His allies would be drinking well tonight. So be it. I made a note to do it later, and he quickly forgot me.

Esirce then spoke to his fellow ministers. "Now, what shall we do about the economic crisis? My trusted assistant, Lord Wordsworth, has told me he has a solution to our problems. Care to tell the council?" Wordsworth grinned. "I have a proposal that would significantly increase our wealth through wise investing..." Anna was a merchant baron's daughter and heir apparent, and as Wordsworth explained in his double-talk, she translated. "He's proposing they invest in a bank owned by a man who, he failed to mention, is his brother-in-law. The interest rate is..." she quickly calculated, "less than half that offered by the Khazad banking establishments. He'll accuse the dwarves of being gold-hungry subhumans in... five, four, three, two... yep, there he goes. More racist ranting. If you start believing any of this nonsense, please tell me so I can hit you in the... ah, he's done. Now we get all sorts of words that don't have any meaning but sound really good, more, blah blah, yak yak, oh, looks like his bank is invested in only a few industries, none of them especially stable and... yeah, that's a pyramid scheme right there, with him and his political allies on top. And people ask me why I invest so heavily in foreign companies..."

The meeting finally ended. The ministers all shuffled out, while Esirce stayed behind. He beckoned for me and Anna to come. "Ah, Romulus! And your girlfriend!" I didn't even bother correcting him on either. "See, what you saw there was politics at its finest! Did you not see how I played each and every one of my ministers for their strengths, while minimizing their weaknesses! How I kept their various little schemes and ambitions in my pocket, and force them to use their skills for the good of the Grigori empire! Watch me, and you may learn something!" He sounded so certain I almost believed him. Until he added, "I do wish Alyeris would find a husband, though. Why a woman of her beauty remains single is beyond me, especially considering how many excellent bachelors she knows."
    • Spoiler :
Hippus -

Jotnar -

• Hephaestus - Blacksmith/Veinhunter/Emergent - Neutral
    • Spoiler :
Kahdi -

Khazad -

• Athel Revus - Slaver/Emergent - Evil
    • Spoiler Pedia Entry :
      The dwarf looked down on a ghost town. Ten days ago there had been a thriving village at the mouth of the valley, built along the banks of a rocky stream. It had boasted a tavern and a trading-post for the furriers and shepherds who made their living in the high peaks of the area. Indeed, the dwarf had sat in that tavern drinking beer he'd paid for with money made by trading tools to the villagers. Now the buildings were empty, some with doors or windows broken but most intact. The trading post still smoldered where the fires had reduced it to an ash-heap. Here and there a discarded bucket or jug attested to efforts to stop the fire, and a strange smell hung in the air, but there was no other sign of the inhabitants. "So," the dwarf called over his shoulder, "I see things went about as expected." Behind him another dwarf, barely visible in the twilight, nodded agreement. "The booze you sold them put most of the men out," he stated flatly, "and when we fired the post the rest came running. We rounded them up with no trouble." The first dwarf chuckled and rubbed his hands together. "Good. If the lads hurry them along we'll have them on the block in Hexam before the week is out. I appreciate your taking care of this for me. I had a few other ventures that needed my personal attention in the last few days."

"I hope one of them was getting rid of those papers. The Stewards don't like knowing someone's got their names in a file, and neither do I."

"Of course you don't. Then again," the merchant snarled, "I don't like being told I'll be 'donating' triple this month if I want my spices to make it back to the Underhome. Do you have any idea what the horselords charge me for those damned roots? You're the ones who lit the fuse on this charge, not me. I admit, though, that I'm sorry I had to get you involved. Blame your cousin for letting on while we were out drinking. That's something you might want to look into when you get back to Halowell."

The assassin spat, then melted away into the shadows, leaving Athel Revus to contemplate just what he was going to do with his new herd of sheep... and how long it would be before the cousin, who'd been undercutting him on provisions sales, would be out of the way.
    • Spoiler :
  • Reorx Veinhunter - Veinhunter/Emergent - Neutral
Kuriotates -

• Yakut - Egalitarian/Emergent - Good
    • Spoiler :
Lanun -

Ljosalfar -

Luchuirp -

• Gimil - Craftmaster/Emergent - Good
    • Spoiler :
Malakim -

Mazatl -

Mechanos -

Scions of Patria -

Sheaim -

Sidar -

Svartalfar -

• Utiruso - Defender/Emergent - Evil
    • Spoiler :
The Legion of D'tesh -

• Thanatos - Agnostic/Treacherous/Emergent - Evil
    • Spoiler :

New/Changed Traits

Emergent - Allows you to gain a trait based on gameplay decisions
Minor- +5% Maintenance, +25% Distance to Capital Maintenance.

• Trait is removed upon construction of your fourth city.

Blacksmith - Allows Worker/Melee/Adept/Disciple/Recon units access to all weapon promotions.
Craftmaster - Grants Mobility 1 to all Golem units.
Defender - Grants City Garrison 1 to all Archery units.
Dominant - Grants Command 1 to all Melee units.
Egalitarian - +3 happiness, +1 food on tiles with 3 or more food, -10% commerce.
Hydromancer - Grants Water 1, Water Mastery to all Adept units.
New Promotion: Water Mastery - No penalty for attacking from sea/river. +50% Coast/Ocean attack/defense. +1 movement. Water Walking. Passes Water Mastery to summoned units.
Illusionist - Grants Illusion to all Arcane units, passing on to all Summoned units.
Instructor - Grants one free promotion to all built units.
Opportunistic - Grants Bounty Hunter to all Recon units, -10% civic upkeep.
Reckless - Grants Channeling 2, Unready to all Adept units.
New Promotion: Unready - +1 xp per turn, to a limit of 15xp. 8% chance to become a Barbarian unit each turn.
New Promotion: Unready Block (Effect Promo) - Removes Unready, grants Twincast. Requires tier 3+.
Slaver - Grants Slaver to all units. +10% Commerce. Conquered cities lose half of their population, but spawn one slave for every two pop lost.
New Promotion: Slaver - Grants a 15% chance to capture slaves from combat.
Summoner - Grants Summoner to all Arcane units.
New Promotion: Summoner - Requires Hero, Combat 5. Grants Combat 1 to all summoned units.
Swashbuckler - Grants Amphibious, Drill 1 to all Melee units.
Tolerant - As in FfH.
Treacherous - Grants Treacherous to all Recon units.
New Promotion: Treacherous - Poisoned Blade clone. Allows you access to both this way. Also removes Estranged... This is important for the Jotnar.
Tyrant - +5 Unhealth per city, creates the 'Monument to Tyranny' building in all cities.
New Building: Monument to Tyranny - Removes all unhappiness from the city.
Veinhunter - +1 production on tiles with 2 or more production.
Virtuous Pirate - Grants Hidden Nationality, 2 defensive strength, and 20% withdrawal to all Naval units.

Minor Leaders

These are your 'standard' Minor leaders. They will offer new trait combinations for the civilization, but nothing radically new... A midground between the Major and Emergent leaders.

They should have two standard traits, plus Minor. Certain traits, however, should be paired with another weak trait... These are, off the top of my head, Industrious, Ingenuity, Magic Defense, Barbarian, Feral, and possibly Summoner. Using any of these traits is perfectly fine, so long as two are used for each normal trait they replace. Agg/Ind/Ing is fine; Agg/Ind is not in most cases. ;)

Some of these leaders have traits that are not finalized, and many will gain second traits as we transition from the original setup. Any new/uncertain traits will be in BOLD.

Amurites -

Archos -

• Corane - Aggressive/Raider/Minor - Cypher132
    • Spoiler Pedia Entry :
      Corane's birth was no different from the others. No physical mutations, nothing irregular with the boy. Most children learned to respect and revere the spiders that routinely wandered through the streets, catching what small animals they could and bringing them to Mother or the village market. Corane was different. When he saw one of this spiders he would kill it. Crush it with whatever was nearby then pick it up carefully, so as not to damage the body. The Elders were appalled and his parents scolded and beat him mercilessly, but he continued to collect these dead spiders, keeping them in a small box. He would carefully pull off their legs and make designs with them. Several contained all eight legs, some did not. He seperated the fangs and poison sacks from their bodies and kept them in a special jar as he studied what remained the carcasses.
      His village was soon attacked by Barbarian Orcs, intent on pillaging and plundering whatever they could find. They had burst into Corane's house, expecting easy prey and much loot to be taken. However, in the center of the room stood Corane, holding what seemed to be piece of metal with the fangs of spiders carefully tied i with the poison sacks tied in the same caring manner. The Orcs assaulted him, but one-by-one fell to the still poisonous fangs attached to his new weapon. The Orcs were eventually driven off and the villagers accepted Corane as a hero in the batte.
      As the years passed, he became a general in the army of the Archos. He commanded his troops be immunized to the poison of the spiders through experiments that would be considered illegal under most governments. When he was finished, he stood before a massive army, ready to give their lives to protect the Archos and to do the bidding of Mother. Following Daracaat's orders, he led this men to a small valley, the Valley of Spiders, and began build his own empire, keen on the destruction of all other civilizations around him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corane paced back and forth in front of the prisoner. He looked the man over and was disgusted by what he saw. His hair was dirty and knotted. His clothes looked like patchwork and his skin was dirty enough to make even slaves cringe. The man was caught sneaking through the fortress walls with bundles of military papers. He was beaten and promptly brought to Corane for questioning. "You've come all this way. Traveled the great mountains. Gone through the haunted forest. All to try to spy on us. Tell me. What is it that you have come for?"
      The prisoner merely looked down, staunchly remaining quiet. "Very well, then. Agnir, show him what happens when prisoners do not comply." A rather gruff looking Archosian nodded and grabbed one of the prisoner's hands. He held it to the ground and pulled out a wicked-looking knife. The prisoner screamed as his fingers were sliced through with the knife. He fell to the ground, clutching his now fingerless hand, sobbing and crying to Junil. "Now. Will you tell me why you have come all this way?"
      The prisoner merely spat on Corane's shoes and cursed Mother. "You dare insult Mother, you ingrate!?" Corane smacked the prisoner across the face. "Nobody, and I repeat, nobody insults Mother. Cut off his other fingers." The prisoner screamed and protested as the guards held his other hand to the ground. He screamed even louder as Agnir sliced the fingers off his hand. Corane grabbed the prisoner by the hair and held him up to look him in the eye. "Now tell me! Who are you!? Where did you come from!? Why are you here?"
      The prisoner sobbed slightly and held his now mangled hands close to his chest. "I...I was sent to spy on you. Learn your tactics, but that's all I know." Corane nodded silently then kicked the prisoner in the stomach. "Tell me all of it! All the truth!" The prisoner began openly sobbing and crying hysterically. "I was to learn your military formations and your resources! I was to learn your plans and report them to my master! I was to find weaknesses in your defenses! I swear that's all I know!" As he finished yelling he curled up on the stone floor, which was slowly becoming stained with his blood.
      Corane held his hands behind his back and bent over to speak to the prisoner. "And who, might I ask, is your master? Or must we sever..Other things?" The prisoner screamed at this and yelled "Capria! Capria! It was Capria, I swear!" Corane stood up looking satisfied and turned to Agnir. "Have our scribes recorded this session?" Agnir nodded and grabbed a chart from a nearby Archosian. "The whole thing. The questioning, commission of guilt, everything." Agnir looked up at Corane. "What shall we put as his sentence, milord?"
      Corane looked at the whimpering man before him. "Throw him to the spiders. I am sure Mother is hungry and wishes for a more..Exotic meal." With that, Corane strode into his throne room and closed the doors behind him. Agnir and some fellow soldiers lifted the sobbing wreck and threw him into a dark hole. Amongst the screams of agony, you could hear the hissing of creatures and the sound of their many legs converging on their screaming meal.
    • Spoiler Art :
    • Spoiler AI :
      Ashen Veil: Hates it
      Council of Esus: Very fond of it
      Fellowship of Leaves: Rather fond of it
      Runes of Kilmorph: Rather fond of it
      Order: Hates it
      Empyrean: Hates it
      Octopus Overlords: Indifferent
      He's not very religious-based. He's not too keen on Armageddon so he has a slightly more intense hatred for the Ashen Veil so he's more likely to attack a civ that follows it. He doesn't like having close borders with people and will generally pick the weakest civ or the one with a resource he needs. He plays nice with other civs, but it constantly planning behind their backs just in case something needs to be done, which is why the Council fits him. If the Bannor attacked him, he'd be surprised momentarily and then would already have a counterattack plan in place.
    • Spoiler DiploText :
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DECLARE_WAR
      #Mother desires war with your people. There will be war.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_VASSAL
      #Listen, [leadername], I hereby renounce your pathetic protection
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_OFFER_VASSAL
      #The Archosian have been sieged. We are weak, in need of assisstance. It shames me, but will you assist us?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_FIRST_CONTACT
      #Ah, what's this? A new nation? Yes, they will be fun for the spiders....
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_REFUSE_TO_TALK
      #Unless you wish to feed the next generation of spiders, I suggest you leave.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_PEACE
      #Sometimes peace is necesarry, if only to rebuild your army for another war.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_PEACE
      #Ha! You still believe you can defeat us in war? Wait until the spiders swarm upon your cities.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Friendly)
      #Greetings, [leadername]! Have you tried the Spiderwine?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Pleased)
      #Go, [leadername], speak up! Tell me your plans.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Cautious)
      # Speak up, [leadername]! I have things to kill.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Annoyed)
      # Speak up, [leadername]. The spiders are hungry and are seeking a meal.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Furious)
      #[leadername], welcome. We were just wondering what to feed the spiders.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_ACCEPT (Friendly)
      #Yes, this is a good idea. You had a good head on your shoulders.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_ACCEPT (Furious)
      #If Mother smiled upon us, you'd be dead right now. But we must accept.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_REJECT (Friendly)
      #Sorry, friend. That just won't do.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_REJECT (Furious)
      #Just because I keep the company of spiders does not mean I don't know when I'm being deceived. Give me a better deal or I'll throw you to the spiders!
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GLAD (Friendly)
      #I'm sure this will benefit us. Both of us.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GLAD (Pleased-Annoyed)
      #I suppose we could do that.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GLAD (Furious)
      #Ha! Just because I keep the company of spiders does not mean I don't know a good deal. I accept.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_SORRY (Friendly)
      #I apologize, [leadername]. We have other matters to attend to.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_SORRY (Pleased-Annoyed)
      #I apologize, [leadername]. We have other matters to attend to.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_SORRY (Furious)
      #You expect help from us after the way you've treated us? Get out, you dog, before you become spider food!
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_TRY_THIS_DEAL
      #Here. Give this some thought.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_OFFER_PEACE
      #Enough blood has been spilt to please mother. Sign this and let's be done with it.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_JOIN_WAR
      #We need a little help [leadername]. [civilization] has wronged Erebus and we need your help to make it right.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_JOIN_WAR_DENIED
      #I know you were a coward. If you lived in the Archosian society, you'd be dead.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_DEAL (Friendly)
      # I apologize, [leadername]. We don't deal with spider food.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_DEAL (Furious)
      # We will give you nothing. You will take the venom of our spiders before you get what you want.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_THANKS
      #Thank you. Care for some Spiderwine?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_TRIBUTE (Stronger)
      #Listen, [leadername]. I'm a leader of a nation that has integrated with spiders. We could crush you within a moment. Maybe something might deter us...
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_TRIBUTE (Equal)
      #Listen, [leadername]. We're in need of something to continue the Archosian race and you have it. What do you say?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_TRIBUTE (Weaker)
      #We need some help. Mind helping us out, friend?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_REJECTED (Stronger)
      #You think that we couldn't hunt you down and kill you? We know every crack of your palace, every flaw in your walls, we can kill with you just one order. No, your demand is rejected, peasant.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_REJECTED (Equal)
      #Oh, yeah. Take what you can while our elder spiders die. We'll have revenge.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_REJECTED (Weaker)
      #What are you gonna do? Spit on Mother? Have sex with my family? Slaughter my men? You can have it this time, but don't expect reprisal.

When killed:
      Alas, this is Mother's will. Hopefully, the spiders Mother spawns will seek their way to your throats.

Austrin -

Balseraphs -

• Weevil, Pickle, and Hyde - Aggressive/Minor - Evil
  • Furia the Mad - Charismatic/Minor - Evil
    • Spoiler Pedia Entry :
      it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts

Do you think you know fear? Do you think you know pain? Do you think you know anything? They call me mad, but I'm not mad. You are. You must be. If you weren't mad, the pain would make you scream.

The pain. Everything is pain. Pain is everywhere. You can close your eyes and pretend it away. But I can't. I can't make the pain go away.

why why why you must scream you want to scream you cant scream because youve forgotten how doesnt it hurt why arent you screaming dont you feel the pain i'll make you feel the pain pain pain pain

"You look like an angel," they say. I should. Sirona's angels are beautiful. Sirona's angels are merciful. Sirona's angels are kind. Do you know what the Balseraphs do to things that are beautiful, merciful, kind? They defile them.

And so I came to be. My mother tried to stop caring. They'd given up trying to make her suffer directly. No pain could make her scream any more. Except the pain of others.

So when she was with child, they knew what to do. How to make her suffer more than ever before. They hurt me. But I wasn't like her. I hurt back.

yes scream scream scream you fools how do you like it now you taught me well now i teach you yes this is pain pain embrace it beg for mercy does it hurt yes it hurts you must suffer you will suffer scream until your lungs explode pain all your life is pain beg me for death i will not give it slowly slowly make your pain last

I killed my mother first, though. Quickly. It was the kindest thing anyone had done for her since the Balseraphs captured her. Maybe she's with Sirona. Maybe she has become nothing. She's in a better place either way.

But I am her daughter, and yet a Balseraph. I cannot be like the other Balseraphs. I feel the pain of all of Jubilee, of tortured slaves and downtrodden peasants, freaks whipped for the amusement of the masses, gladiators seeking freedom, either in fame or death. I also tried to stop caring. But I succeeded. Every moment of my life is agony. Suffering. PAIN. I don't even notice another screaming voice in the chorus of misery. So I share this pain with anyone fool enough to cross my path.

But sometimes, when I look in the mirror... just for a moment, I see my mother. I see goodness, beauty, hope, peace. I hear a feeble little voice... perhaps my mother, perhaps my conscience, perhaps Sirona herself, begging me to stop, to seek to help those suffering voices that scream in my head every hour of the day. And I hate it. I know its right, so I hate it all the more. I don't care anymore. They all need to die.
  • Melisandre - Expansive/Minor - Evil
Bannor -

Calabim -

Chislev -

Clan of Embers -

Cualli -

Doviello -

Dural -

Elohim -

• Thessalonica - Defender/Tolerant/Minor - Good
Grigori -

• Goodreau - Financial/Minor - Good
    • Spoiler Pedia Entry :
      The ale was bitter.

Goodreau sighed as he the amber liquid sloshed in his mug, the wagon creaking as it passed through the crossroads. The road was desolate, dreary even as he clenched his teeth, a wind peircing through the thin cloak he wore. Raising the mug to his lips again, his face contorted as the pungent aroma of the booze wafted from the porcelain. Juno wasnt far, and from there it would be a two days ride to Midgar.

The ale was sour.

Memories of his past life plauged him as he took up the reins to his wagon, laden with goods as he left the gates of Juno. He remembered what Cassiel had told him in those halls, that day he had renounced his identity as Tamur. He didnt have this mug then.

The ale was spilt.

Goodreau sighed, watching the barmaid wipe up the booze as it soaked into the floorboards. The roadside inn he had stopped at was perpetually caught in this thick haze of smoke, but his own pipe did nothing but add to the smog. Despite this, his thoughts always drifted back to one thing instead of being lost in the smoke of antiquity.

The ale was bittersweet.

He saw the grey haze of smoke part slightly, as the barmaid returned with another ale for him.

Goodreau smiled. He saw Elizabeth in the haze, waiting for him to fufill his dream.
    • Spoiler :
Hippus -

• Captain Ostanes - Creative/Expansive/Minor - Neutral
  • Captain Uldanor - Financial/Organized/Minor - Neutral
Jotnar -

Kahdi -

Khazad -

Kuriotates -

• Herne - Defender/Expansive/Minor - Good
    • Spoiler :
  • Cheron - Raiders/Aggressive/Minor - Neutral
    • Spoiler :
Lanun -

• Casin Loveless - Financial/Philosophical/Minor - Neutral (Diplo bonus with Males)
    • Spoiler :
Ljosalfar -

• Eldaren Alcarin - Spiritual/Arcane/Minor - Good
    • Spoiler :
Luchuirp -

• Letigo - Expansive/Aggressive/Minor - Neutral
    • Spoiler :
Malakim -

• Kane - Charismatic/Organized/Minor - Neutral
    • Spoiler Pedia Entry :
      Kane looked upon the spoils of his latest conquest, piled impressively in his throne room. Gold and silver, jewels, and most beautiful of all, weapons and armor... the demon-kings, the wretched Calabim, had started another skirmish with his people, and been beaten back by the might of the Malakim empire. They were arrogant, Alexis and Flauros, even though they continued existing only because Kane whimmed it. They were a useful way to dispose of lesser warlords. But every so often, as now, they tried to attack him. As ever, they failed. Which gave Kane an excuse to send raiding parties of his own, to remind them of their place in the world; his pets, his hounds, nothing more Kane smiled, and thought it good.

But that was not all. A minor tribe of orcs had attempted to defy his glory. Their precious "Bhall" had been deaf to their pleas as Kane's soldiers had slaughtered every man, woman, and child in one of their stinking towns. Kane had sent a few skulls to each and every other orcish tribe, and kept a few for his own; their warlord's in particular would serve as an excellent cup for his collection. It was a waste of lives, and Kane hardly enjoyed such slaughter, but the Orcs would not respect anything but brutality. Suffice it to say, the raids had stopped. Kane smiled, and thought it good.

Meanwhile, Kane suspected the Svartalfar had planted yet another agent in his harem... they seemed to have an unusually large number of pretty women. He'd feed her some minor misinformation, and see if the Svartalfar acted on it. Sadly, after what happened to the first one he'd captured alive, the Svartalfar agents had taken to committing suicide upon discovery, or even suspicion of such. A shame, seeing how much fun he'd had with that first one. Kane was known to be far gentler to his women them most of the Malakim warlords, but when this wench had awoken the beast within him... Kane smiled, and thought it good.

A messenger burst in. "My lord, word from Golden Leane." Kane regretted not burning that place to the ground. Technically, the man should have announced himself, and not charged in as he had, but Kane knew better then to do anything foolish. He waved off his attendants and gestured for the man to continue. "They've revolted. Again. They're lead by... an elf, of all things, name Varn Gosam." "Kill Varn. Is that so hard?" The messenger paused. Kane gussed from the look on the man's face that the answer was "yes." "I'll arrange for one of the elite to deal with this man. Tell me about him." The messenger did... and as he listened to the tales, Kane stopped smiling.
Mazatl -

Mechanos -

• Maer - Charismatic/Ingenuity/Magic Defense/Minor - Neutral
Scions of Patria -

Sheaim -

• Malchavic - Summoner/Minor - Evil
Sidar -

• Mirrough - Charismatic/Minor - Neutral
    • Spoiler :
  • Shekinah - Philosophical/Minor - Neutral
Svartalfar -

• Rivanna the Wraith Lord - Opportunistic/Minor - Evil
  • Volanna - Treacherous/Minor - Evil
The Legion of D'tesh -

Trait Requirements

The Minor trait allows you to gain new traits as you play. The majority of these will also remove Minor, meaning you can generally only grab one. The exceptions are Ingenuity and Magic Defense. In addition, several traits will have a small chance to gain an additional trait. For example, Arcane gives you a 3-5% chance to gain Summoner. All criteria are listed below.

Spoiler :

Aggressive
Bronze Working - 3%
Iron Working - 5%
Kill Another Civ - 100%

Arcane
Knowledge of the Ether - 3% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Summoner
Sorcery - 50% - if gained 5% chance to also gain Summoner
Build Arcane Libralus - 100%

Creative
Festivals - 3%
Drama - 20%

Expansive
Sanitation - 10% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Ingenuity
Medicine - 20%
Upon Reaching 8 Cities - 20%

Financial
Trade - 10%
Currency - 20% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Organized
Mathematics - 50% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Philosophical

Industrious

Construction - 3% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Expansive
Smelting - 10% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Aggressive
Engineering - 20% - if gained 5% chance to also gain Expansive

Ingenuity
Start a Golden Age - 50%

Magic Defense
Build 2nd Altar of Luonnotar - 100%

Organized
Code of Laws - 3% - if gained, 5% to also gain Financial
Military Strategy - 20% - if gained, 5% to also gain Aggressive
Build Forbidden Palace - 100%

Philosophical
Writing - 3% - if gained 5% to also gain Creative
Philosophical - 50% - if gained, 5% to also gain Creative
Each Great Person Born - 10%

Raiders
Pillage Improvement - 5%
Raze City - 10%

Spiritual
Priesthood - 3%
Religious Law - 10%
Fanatacism - 20%
Found a Religion - 50%

New Leaders

If you want to contribute a leader of your own, feel free. :p Just a few guidelines:

1. PLEASE have a leaderhead picked out. It's a pain finding art for someone else's creation, when you aren't sure exactly what they had in mind. :lol: Also, please make sure the image is either not copyrighted, or is allowed for non-profit use under the Creative Commons... Or ask permission of the artist, of course.
  2. For Emergent leaders - Provide a unique trait, but one that plays well with the civ... For example, no Egalitarian for the Calabim or Lanun. :eek:
  3. For Minor leaders - Provide a trait combination not used by that particular civ. It's fine if it uses the same traits as a rival leader, as different civs play completely different.
  4. Provide religious weightings/AI type. If you don't know the code it's fine, just include descriptions of how the leader should feel about each religion and how friendly/warlike they are.
  5. (Optional, but encouraged) Provide a back story, some reason to include the leader. I have a much easier time rationalizing leader bloat when they have good stories behind them.
  6. (Optional) Provide Diplotext for the leader. A template is posted below, from one of icarussc's posts in Opera's thread. :p
    • Spoiler :
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DECLARE_WAR
      #Since there doesn't seem to be any hope that you'll change, we'll do things the hard way.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_VASSAL
      #Listen, [leadername], I was leading these people while you were still squalling on your mother's lap. I don't need your help.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_OFFER_VASSAL
      #The Grigori need more help than I can give them. You are a wise leader and have led your people with skill through these troubled days. Lead us as well.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_FIRST_CONTACT
      #Well, it seems that another tribe is prospering in these dark days. We are the Grigori; we plan to live in freedom; from oppression, fear, from mortals, and from gods.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_REFUSE_TO_TALK
      #I'm getting too old to waste my time with a fool like you. Get out.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_PEACE
      #That's just fine. If you find yourselves need of the light of truth and knowledge, you know where to find us
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_PEACE
      #Well, that's disappointing. In that case, you had best leave; we have preparations to make.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Friendly)
      #Well, if it isn't [leadername]! I hope things are progressing as well for you as they are for us. We're learning more every day.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Pleased)
      #Speak up, [leadername], speak up! I haven't got all day, you know.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Cautious)
      # Speak up, [leadername], speak up! I haven't got all day, you know.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Annoyed)
      # Speak up, [leadername], speak up! I haven't got all day, you know.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GREETINGS (Furious)
      #This is the life of a leader – I have real work to do, but I have to spend my time listening to the demands of adolescents like you. What do you want?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_ACCEPT (Friendly)
      #Yes, not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_ACCEPT (Furious)
      #You'd steal the shawl from my shoulders if you could. But we'll take it.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_REJECT (Friendly)
      #No, no. That won't do at all.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_REJECT (Furious)
      #Do you think because I'm old, I'm senile? Take your offers to the sewers – it's where they belong!
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GLAD (Friendly)
      #Yes, to brighten the light anywhere is to brighten it everywhere. Take it with our good wishes.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GLAD (Pleased-Annoyed)
      #That's reasonable, I suppose. Very well. Anything else?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_GLAD (Furious)
      #You think you're quite the sharp negotiator, don't you? You don't impress me. We accept because we must.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_SORRY (Friendly)
      #I wish we could help, [leadername], but we can't spare the time from our studies. You understand, I'm sure.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_SORRY (Pleased-Annoyed)
      #No, I think you have quite enough without taking anything from us.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_SORRY (Furious)
      #I certainly feel sorry for your mother. What must she think of you, barging in here and demanding that we give you our hard-won achievements? You won't get any help from us.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_TRY_THIS_DEAL
      #Nothing like an exchange of information to benefit everyone.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_OFFER_PEACE
      #The truth is, we've both taken more of a beating than we can afford. Shouldn't we put a stop to it?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_JOIN_WAR
      #Now tell the truth, [leadername]; you know that the [civilization] was going to have to be dealt with sooner or later. Well, it's sooner. And the quicker we put them in their place, the quicker we can all get back to our real work.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_JOIN_WAR_DENIED
      #So you plan on sitting back and letting the old woman do all the work? That's just like you.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_DEAL (Friendly)
      # I wish we could help, [leadername], but we can't spare the time from our studies. You understand, I'm sure.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_NO_DEAL (Furious)
      # I certainly feel sorry for your mother. What must she think of you, barging in here and demanding that we give you our hard-won achievements? You won't get any help from us.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_THANKS
      #We appreciate it. I appreciate it.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_TRIBUTE (Stronger)
      #Listen, [leadername]. I've brought you along, helped you out, practically taught you everything you know. Now there's something you've got that we need.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_TRIBUTE (Equal)
      #We Grigori pride ourselves on being good neighbors, and that means sharing the wealth that we have. Just like you're going to do with us.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_TRIBUTE (Weaker)
      #Listen, neighbor, we need your help. Don't hold out on us.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_REJECTED (Stronger)
      #You can't hurt us. You wouldn't slow down our studies, even if you made good on your threats. Now why don't you find some other old ladies to bully?
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_REJECTED (Equal)
      #Oh, the big tough, pushing around an old woman. I'd laugh if it wasn't so pathetic.
      AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_DEMAND_REJECTED (Weaker)
      #What next? Knock me down and take my scarf and pipe? That's about your speed. I'll keep the scarf and pipe and everything else, thank you.

When killed:
      We placed our trust in knowledge rather than the unfaithful gods, but it seems that knowledge, too, has vanished away. The Grigori go quietly into the long darkness that awaits us – and, without the light of our sciences, awaits you.

Issues
Minister Koun:
Not sure I should allow Koun. He's meant to be playable via an event... As the Grigori already have two other minor leaders, I think I'll just make him unplayable except via event. He'll stay minor.

Balance:
Always an issue. :lol: I'm not too sure about Mirrough (Charismatic Sidar?).

Credits
Notque, of course.
Magister_Cultuum for the Broken Compact code.
25hour for several traits.
Opera for the Mercurian minor leaders.
Killer Clowns for Prime Minister Esirce, Kane, and Furia civilopedia entries
King of Lands for Athel civilopedia entry
Korias for Goodreau civilopedia entry
Jabie for Weevil, Pickle, and Hyde entry.
Far_Wanderer for Mordmorgan's entry.

What about Kahd? Do we just make him / her a Kahd worshipper? Kinda the same deal as D'tesh though.

They can gain new traits according to your gameplay (and the AI's). The new trait(s) replaces the Minor trait. Apart from that, they're just new leaders :)

@Valkrionn: you can check mine for Scions and Mechanos, see if you want them ;)

Preliminary suggestions:

Austrin - Patrick. A hunter and wartime leader, he harnesses the aggressive aspects of the wind. Raiders/Sinister/Minor.

Cualli - S'Cilnickt, Voice of the End Times. A doomsaying prophet of Armageddon. Cold-blooded/Minor, is at peace with Agares.

Khadi - I suggest none. The Khadi's story is already pretty heavily focused on Khad.

Jotnar - A Triton. Give him/her Minor, Ingenuity, and the Seafaring technology. I'm imagining an ancient giantkin elder who survived the Age of Ice by hiding underwater (Seafaring), and so remembers some of the old lore (Ingenuity).

Scions - Korrina. Switch her to Organized/Minor, or just add minor, but lore-wise she's already mostly a minor leader.

Mechanos - I think Maer already was a minor leader at some point. She could use a third trait anyway since Ingenuity is pretty weak, why not make it minor?

D'tesh - I think you're right about them being exempt, not enough free-willed people in the empire for any of them to be leader-quality.

An agnostic Titan would be a good minor leader for the Jotnar. Financial?

On a mostly unrelated note, I think the neutral Jot leader should have Conqueror. Fits his description text better.

Khadi - I suggest none. The Khadi's story is already pretty heavily focused on Khad.

Fake Kahd? Not sure if that's possible lore-wise, though.

...and I guess that would be an alternate leader, not a minor one.

Edit: Or, more along the lines of Korrina, it could be Dahk, an underling of Khad.

D'tesh - I think you're right about them being exempt, not enough free-willed people in the empire for any of them to be leader-quality.

For the D'Tesh (Who I know almost nothing about) how about a leader made (and maybe controlled) by the ruler -- an undead being that can rule in his stead. Everyone needs vacations, you know!

What about Kahd? Do we just make him / her a Kahd worshipper? Kinda the same deal as D'tesh though.

Woops, forgot him..... But yes, they're focused on Kahd. Don't know about a minor leader there..... Although the Kuriotates are the same way, so an underling would work fine.

What exactly are minor leaders? what purpose do they serve?

They are essentially customizable leaders, a method of getting trait/civ combination that wouldn't happen otherwise.

They can gain new traits according to your gameplay (and the AI's). The new trait(s) replaces the Minor trait. Apart from that, they're just new leaders :)

@Valkrionn: you can check mine for Scions and Mechanos, see if you want them ;)

I'll probably end up with them. :lol: I tend to steal quite a bit... Although I'm not sure about the Scion leader. I think a Doomgiver would be a better fit.

Preliminary suggestions:

Austrin - Patrick. A hunter and wartime leader, he harnesses the aggressive aspects of the wind. Raiders/Sinister/Minor.

Cualli - S'Cilnickt, Voice of the End Times. A doomsaying prophet of Armageddon. Cold-blooded/Minor, is at peace with Agares.

Jotnar - A Triton. Give him/her Minor, Ingenuity, and the Seafaring technology. I'm imagining an ancient giantkin elder who survived the Age of Ice by hiding underwater (Seafaring), and so remembers some of the old lore (Ingenuity).

Scions - Korrina. Switch her to Organized/Minor, or just add minor, but lore-wise she's already mostly a minor leader.

Mechanos - I think Maer already was a minor leader at some point. She could use a third trait anyway since Ingenuity is pretty weak, why not make it minor?

I like your suggestions, aside from Korinna. :lol: And yes, Maer will be a minor leader again. I love the other suggestions though... They'd be VERY different from the other leaders.

Fake Kahd? Not sure if that's possible lore-wise, though.

...and I guess that would be an alternate leader, not a minor one.

Edit: Or, more along the lines of Korrina, it could be Dahk, an underling of Khad.

For the D'Tesh (Who I know almost nothing about) how about a leader made (and maybe controlled) by the ruler -- an undead being that can rule in his stead. Everyone needs vacations, you know!

I don't know about D'tesh... It seems like he wouldn't appoint any underlings, honestly. I like your 'Dahk' suggestion though... Particularly the name. :lol:

I don't really see much need for new leaders, personally. don't we hve plenty as is?

Yes, but none of them are anything like this. :p

If D'Tesh were to have underlings it would probably be so sort of creature immune to his control/necromancy such as an Angel/Demon likely affiliated with the Death sphere.

I would think that this creature would have been sent by Laroth as D'Tesh doesn't care about souls and only need bodies. He would probably have no problem with some sort of helper that would aid him in his conquests even if it sent the souls straight to Laroth.

Well, I've got most of the existing minor leaders worked in... Because of the differences in schema, I'll have to make a new entry for quite a few though. 21, in fact... All the ones that he added himself. :cry: I hate the leaderhead files.... And yet I've been finding myself in there more and more, lately.

Dahk is an awesome name, you've gotta use that! :D

I've always thought generally, that leader traits were designed to provide an interesting playstyle for the civ. Some civs could be seriously broken if custom traits were alowed. Sidar with Warlord/Charismatic springs to mind.

Top Bottom