Chieftain
Changes:
-Converted Natives can attack and become (Armed, Mounted) Braves
-Converted Natives can train in native villages again
-Only Jesuit Missionaries can become Missionaries
-Jesuit Missionaries no longer get a 50 missionary rate bonus

Limitations / Known Bugs:
-Descriptions and Colonizopedia not (yet) updated to reflect changes
-Requires Age of Discovery II 1.10 and may not work if other changes are made...

Installation:
Unpack to your Age of Discovery II 1.10 MOD folder.

The idea is to make Converted Natives harder to get but more powerful and a more important part of some strategies. They should be different than, but not inferior to European colonists (currently they become useless as-is very quickly and are only useful as slower trainees, making Champlain and related FFs very weak.) Keep in mind that a single Expert Fisherman will generate Free Colonists faster than a mission will generate Converted Natives yet are much cheaper than a Jesuit: there is no gameplay balance reason they should be inferior and I very much dislike them being so ideologically. At start they will be a bit worse combatant than Veteran Soldiers when armed and mounted, but also cheaper to equip. If you can get Chief Powhatan they will become a bit better in the field but a bit worse in settlements, yet level slower and still be cheaper to equip. So I think they're mostly balanced and can be formidably useful, but to shine and be available in decent numbers you will need to invest in founding fathers that give Jesuits and missionary rates bonuses, increasing their cost. Another objective is to provide a stronger incentive to stay on good terms with the native tribes and protect them from other Europeans. I think strengthening this incentive would improve gameplay and balance. Please leave comments, suggestions and balance issues (maybe changes to related FFs?)

Potential future features:
-Converted Natives may revolt (turn hostile right under your nose and return under their tribe's control) if you attack the tribe they were converted from (95% chance) or if they attack you (max(10, 10 - relation*10)% chance).
-Converted Natives may abandon your cause to go protect their tribe if war breaks out between their tribe and another civilization unless you agree to join the war on their side (not sure about probability but again scaling with relations to account for who can be considered the aggressor.)
-Converted Natives keep their field work bonus and manufacturing penalty when trained as expert/master and convert back to Converted Natives when specialty is cleared.

Attachments

• FightingNatives_0.1.rar
    844.7 KB · Views: 150
Please keep working on that, sounds great! :)

I fear I won't be able to use that with AoDII 1.12, as it would overwrite files..?

Please keep working on that, sounds great! :)

I fear I won't be able to use that with AoDII 1.12, as it would overwrite files..?

It probably would. But you can do what I do, copy the relevant parts of the source code and then compile it. You have to be careful to not do something wrong though, and it's good to keep a backup. This is just one file (CvPlayer.cpp), so it shouldn't be too hard.

A text editor that can compare texts (like textpad - www.textpad.com) can also help you to do this, though be aware that some parts that are different in the compare may not be part of the actual modifications of the mod, since it will probably identify the changes from 1.10 to 1.12 as well.

There is a compiling tutorial here or in the civ4 forum that should tell you how to compile the code.

I liked this mod, especially the being able to make them be armed braves or mounted warriors, so I hope I'll be able to incorporate it into my personal game as well.

@FightingNative: Could you tell us which parts of the code that you changed, so that it is easier to incorporate it? And thanks for making the mod ;)

Top Bottom