Writing Thread: Civilopedia

warriorofala

Chieftain
Seems to me that the civilopedia needs fleshing out for all the new goodies in Fall Further and its modmodmods. So, in order to rectify this problem, I've started this thread as a way to gather anyone's take on lore entries for various articles in the mods in case they got a sudden burst of inspiration.

Disclaimer: you post an entry here, any modder is free to use it, with credit of course.

Also, if you want to rewrite an older entry in the civilopedia because you feel it needs more work, go ahead.

Feel free to contribute; meanwhile, I'll give some of mine:

Dwarven Cannon

Not to be beaten in the technological arms race concerning their favorite rock-clearing method, the Dwarves have designed their own cannons. Though essentially fulfilling the same purpose as the other races' guns, dwarven cannons are built with dwarven aesthetics in mind: smaller and more compact, yet expertly-crafted and calibrated. These qualities give dwarven cannons an edge over other races' guns; a battery of dwarven cannons can deliver their deadly payloads with great accuracy, wasting less powder and time in bringing down fortifications.

Dwarven Slinger

Being a short and stout people, the Dwarves have an understandably difficult time using bows; as such, they utilize a simpler yet surprisingly effective method of ranged combat: slings. Being around rocks all the time probably helped too.

A Dwarf using a sling is not to be underestimated. Though the sling may not have the range of a traditional bow, the sheer alacrity and accuracy of which Dwarves can sling stones at targets have surprised many of their foes. Some Dwarves even go so far as to refine their weaponry and ammunition: high quality slings with metallic shot can halt a charge as well as a flurry of arrows.

Dwarven Shadow

Though they may be a loud and boisterous folk, Dwarves can be effective at espionage and precision strikes. However, even in the shadowy arts, Dwarves have no qualms about using indiscreet force in order to accomplish their objectives.

While Esus' Shadows normally strike at the weakest point within enemy ranks, Dwarven Shadows up the ante: they eliminate vulnerable targets through the usual methods of poison and blades, but supplement these with bombs and other explosive secrets of Dwarven lore. They do not mind if non-critical targets get caught in the spectacular results of their craft: most consider that a bonus as a matter of fact.

Though not as precise as the other servants of Esus, one cannot deny their effectiveness and efficiency. Armies facing these arsonist-assassins often find their adepts and magicians dead, while the rest of their forces end up horribly maimed or on fire.

Moar stuff:

Master Smith

Erebus is a world plunged into war; and where there is war, there will be a cadre of artisans knowledgeable in the arts of blacksmithing. Axes, swords, warhammers, spears, daggers, knives, lances, maces, platemail, chainmail, scalemail, skullcaps, helmets, and other such paraphenelia of combat line the walls of their shops.

Indeed, war is a bloody business. But business is good; these blacksmiths may charge a heavy toll for their services, but there will always be a market for arms and armour in these troubled times.

A smart general will see his soldiers resist savage blows from the enemy and return the favour with better results. From the savage Orcs to the zealous Bannor, a master blacksmith in their employ can turn the tide in the war against their hated enemy.

Master Siegesmith

Though a sharp blade and a sturdy shield can get you far in war, a massive wall and gate will stop any warrior dead in his tracks. Even the Jotnar will consider alternatives before attacking a walled city, as the defenders can use the elevation to their advantage.

Thus, siege weaponry was invented. Catapults, ballistae, trebuchets, and cannons are suited to the arduous task of tearing down fortifications from a safe distance, and now ensure that siege warfare is much more complex and dangerous than it was before. However, these weapons are usually too burdensome to haul around in every battle.

Siegesmiths change that: through fine-tuning parts and supplying specialized ammunition, the master siegesmith can turn siege engines into viable field weaponry. Even moreso for the Dwarves and the Mechanos, whose specialty in heavy artillery become a dangerous trait with the aid of a master siegesmith.

Elohim Reliquary

The Elohim are a spiritually-attuned people, and many who have passed on leave behind relics in order to teach future generations lessons from the past. Despite the health hazard of exhibiting the remains of the dead to the public, the Elohim preserve these artifacts in Reliquaries. From ordinary labourers to their soldiers, every citizen of the Elohim finds the guarded treasures of their Reliquaries a window to enlightenment.

In turn, when their time comes, they too will pass on their lessons in life to those who walk in the halls of the Reliquary. Thus, enlightenment has come full circle.

Thanks, and I concur. Atmosphere always does good for a game.

But I'd like to see other people contributing here; I write only whenever I'm in the mood, otherwise I'm doing something else. That way we can get some real good stuff done for the mods.

Well, vehem is lazy about small tings like art ad pedia entries, but if we did the work for him, I'm sure he'd incorporate these things into FF

editing the gametext xml files is pretty simple. Just have a look under assets/xml/text and open any file there. You can get the gist of it within seconds.

As far as I'm aware, text is read from all files in there, so you could make an individual file just for pedia entries you write, and it should work. Althougth the unit/tech/building in question would have to be modified to point at it, too.

I'll take a crack at this. I don't have the civilopedia open so I'm not sure what does and doesn't have an entry, however I feel pretty safe writing up something for the new Khazad improvements. Feel free for anyone to use these (or not) as they see fit; edit as necessary...

Dwarven Mine
For most, a mine is just a hole in the ground to pull shinies out of. For the Khazad, a mine is a home-in-progress. Crude dwellings are carved into side tunnels, rubble is formed into simple fortifications and shops are set up to serve the miners and their families. From this, a trickle of commerce follows the wagons laden with ore. It’s not much but give it time...

Dwarven Settlement
Once a mine has become prosperous, immigrants arrive from above and below to carve a space for themselves. Spiraling out from the main shaft, a network of living spaces, markets and workshops is hewn while the excess stone is used to build the walls ever higher. Finally, the fungal farms (that convert waste material and phosphates into edible, if plain-tasting, mushrooms) are expanded and the surplus is shipped back to the city... along with a wealth of trade and minerals.

Dwarven Hall
The Khazad have a complex system of ownership and an even more complex hierarchy; living below the surface demands draconian measures to keep order. After a probationary period, a settlement is taken over by some branch of the Khazad nobility and expanded to fit their needs (bloody nobles). Picky though they are, under their management the mines are deepened, the ramparts are expanded and the markets are packed. It may not be comfortable but “bein’ a dwarf is about doin’ yer duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECIALLY if it makes ye miserable.” (quote taken from here).

Dwarven Fortress
Extending all the way into the Umber, the dwarven fortress is an implacable bastion of defense, industry and commerce. The tapped out tunnels have been converted into additional farm space and the entire complex has become a mecca of trade. It takes a long time for the humble dwarven mine to become the mighty dwarven fortress but once there it is the equivalent of a farm, town, citadel and mine-on-steroids... all in one. Just be sure to keep it safe from would-be pillagers, lest years of work be undone by the villainous surface dwellers.

Here's a text file containing all but Shatner's text... that's in the FFPlus text file, since that building isn't in FF. Probably should have done the same for the siegesmith, but I forgot. :lol:

All the mana resources already had text, so I named it txt_key_bonus_mana_air2, and so on... Copied the original text, describing the spell sphere, and then put the new text from KillerClowns below it. To use this you'd have to go through and redirect a few units/buildings/resource pedia entries, but it's easy enough to do. :goodjob:

Edit: Reuploaded it... missed a tag in the file that would cause it to not be loaded.

PAIN TRAIN!

Steam Tank

When the Mechanos discovered the raw power of refined mana and how it could fuel their mechanical marvels, most took to the skies in zeppelins. To them, it was a supreme show of defiance to the Gods.

However, there were those scientists and inventors who were a bit closer to earth, and were much more concerned over issues of warfare. Though the musket and its' specialized derivatives were the defining factor of Mechanos forces, they lacked a domineering force on the battlefield. A disciplined line of rank infantry could hold fast against any mundane foe, but monstrous creatures such as the ogre brethren of the Orcs or the enigmatic Treants of the Elves can break the line with a determined attack.

These men and women designed the Steam Tank. Realizing that refined mana was too potent and volatile a power source for a land-based weapon, they focused on building an engine small enough yet powerful enough to move this massive hulk of steel. With layers upon layers of metal plating, an onboard cannon, and enough horsepower to turn the tank into a high-speed battering ram, the Steam Tank serves proudly as the hammer to the line infantry's anvil.

Figured I might as well make a request here.... I need pedia text for my minor leader, Thanatos. He is an Angel of Death who was originally in the service of Arawn, god of death. He has come to despise Arawn for his refusal to participate any further in Erebus, and has fallen. He now serves as one of Laroth's lieutenants, fighting to help Laroth usurp the sphere from Arawn.

Laroth has forged an alliance with D'tesh (Leader of the Legion of D'tesh by Mailbox), who seeks to conquer all of Erebus with his undead hordes. Laroth gets the souls, D'tesh gets the bodies. As part of this alliance, Thanatos now finds himself fighting for D'tesh in Erebus.

Aside from the background, I don't really have any specifics... Leaving that up to whoever decides to write it, if anyone. :lol:

oh, I see.

I think the strategy text needs replacing then. It was just the usual stuff about "swordsmen and axemen are the first melee upgrades....."

Figured I might as well make a request here.... I need pedia text for my minor leader, Thanatos. He is an Angel of Death who was originally in the service of Arawn, god of death. He has come to despise Arawn for his refusal to participate any further in Erebus, and has fallen. He now serves as one of Laroth's lieutenants, fighting to help Laroth usurp the sphere from Arawn.

Laroth has forged an alliance with D'tesh (Leader of the Legion of D'tesh by Mailbox), who seeks to conquer all of Erebus with his undead hordes. Laroth gets the souls, D'tesh gets the bodies. As part of this alliance, Thanatos now finds himself fighting for D'tesh in Erebus.

Aside from the background, I don't really have any specifics... Leaving that up to whoever decides to write it, if anyone. :lol:

Invisible to the carnage, the Angel circled the doomed village. Below the pawns of D'Tesh and the beleaguered Bannor defenders fought a marvelous battle. Sensing the changing of the battle tide, he finally descended.

Ulric was the strongest warrior in Zoroast. On two occasions he had heeded the call of Sabathiel's Crusade, leaving but returning stronger and wiser each time. In the battle of Galvesholm, was it not Ulric that took the head of Tebryn Arbandi, ending the Sheiam war? Later in the Battle of Jubilee, was it not Ulric who lead the charge into Keelyn's Sanctum?

Now, Ulric the Hero lead a counterattack against the abominations. Hacking and slaying, Ulric's unit pushed the undead wholly outside his village. Carving a path towards the necromancer, Ulric spotted a figure, an Angel, circling quickly towards his unit.

Emboldened he exhorted his men to advance to the hated enemy's leader, Gul-Zar the necromancer.

Gul-Zar whimpered as Ulric triumphantly administered Junil's justice with his sword.

"For the crimes you have committed, I sentence you to death and damnation. With the death of our enemies' leader, they will fail."

Hearing beating wings, Ulric whirled around as an Angel arrayed in plate armor set foot.

Kneeling Ulric asked "Sphener?"

The angel hesitated only a moment before slaying him and dooming Zoroast.

"Thanatos."

There's a 'pedia thread in Orbis too, if you run out of inspiration from FF. Some elements (e.g. Civics) are going to be shared between both, so text could serve both mods.

Invisible to the carnage, the Angel circled the doomed village. Below the pawns of D'Tesh and the beleaguered Bannor defenders fought a marvelous battle. Sensing the changing of the battle tide, he finally descended.

Ulric was the strongest warrior in Zoroast. On two occasions he had heeded the call of Sabathiel's Crusade, leaving but returning stronger and wiser each time. In the battle of Galvesholm, was it not Ulric that took the head of Tebryn Arbandi, ending the Sheiam war? Later in the Battle of Jubilee, was it not Ulric who lead the charge into Keelyn's Sanctum?

Now, Ulric the Hero lead a counterattack against the abominations. Hacking and slaying, Ulric's unit pushed the undead wholly outside his village. Carving a path towards the necromancer, Ulric spotted a figure, an Angel, circling quickly towards his unit.

Emboldened he exhorted his men to advance to the hated enemy's leader, Gul-Zar the necromancer.

Gul-Zar whimpered as Ulric triumphantly administered Junil's justice with his sword.

"For the crimes you have committed, I sentence you to death and damnation. With the death of our enemies' leader, they will fail."

Hearing beating wings, Ulric whirled around as an Angel arrayed in plate armor set foot.

Kneeling Ulric asked "Sphener?"

The angel hesitated only a moment before slaying him and dooming Zoroast.

"Thanatos."

I like it. :goodjob: Reminds me of Abashi's entry, but that's not a bad thing here. :lol:

A nation of slaves that could not rebel, a nation of warriors who could not aspire to take their leader's throne, a nation of wizards who repeated their master's words.

D'Tesh was feeling his age today, of all days. His birthday always brought back unwelcome memories of his past, a weak past before he became strong. Despite his current state, his mind never failed to remind him of what he had given up. Sweetest wine now carried the taste of bitter ashes, the softest fur was wasted upon his skeletal touch. Even now the Svartalfar queen languished in his dungeon, unable to provide anything beyond the one service he once would have enjoyed in his far gone youth.

Today is a day to be lamented, D'Tesh thought.

"Today is a day to be lamented by all inhabitants of this wretched world!" D'Tesh mumbled.

As D'Tesh strode towards the dungeons he was haunted by the echoes of his closest slaves.

"As is everyday to be lamented by the unbelievers, the Lord of plagues wills it!"

Spinning around towards them D'Tesh felt the rage fall upon him.

One by one the choir died, a victim of their beloved master's fell magic...

A nation of slaves that could not rebel, a nation of warriors who could not aspire to take their leader's throne, a nation of wizards who repeated their master's words.

D'Tesh was feeling his age today, of all days. The day after his birthday always brought back unwelcome memories of his past, a weak past before he became strong. Despite his current state, his mind never failed to remind him of what he had given up. Sweetest wine now carried the taste of bitter ashes, the softest fur was wasted upon his skeletal touch. Even now the Svartalfar queen languished in his dungeon, unable to provide anything beyond the one service he once would have enjoyed in his far gone youth.

Today is a day to be lamented, D'Tesh thought.

"Today is a day to be lamented by all inhabitants of this wretched world!" D'Tesh mumbled.

As D'Tesh strode towards the dungeons he was haunted by the echoes of his closest slaves.

"As is everyday to be lamented by the unbelievers, the Lord of plagues wills it!"

Spinning around towards them D'Tesh felt the rage fall upon him.

One by one the choir died, a victim of their beloved master's fell magic...

A nation of slaves that could not rebel, a nation of warriors who could not aspire to take their leader's throne, a nation of wizards who repeated their master's words...

Intentional:

Organ Gun

Cannons are powerful weapons, capable of razing walls with ease and being accurate enough to use in field combat. As it was, there was no surprise when the Mechanos decided to design a new cannon with the motto "Bigger and Faster" in mind.

Noting the effectiveness of massed musket fire, inventor David Mustaine built a cannon with multiple barrels mounted on a single frame. Seeing as the new gun looked a lot like the instrument, he dubbed it the Organ Gun.

The first test resulted in the frame collapsing after a single salvo, which led to Mustaine installing smaller barrels to compensate for the massive recoil. Further tests revealed the design to be highly effective against troop formations, but slightly less so against fortifications.

Despite this, the Mechanos adopted the gun as their standard siege weapon, reasoning that they could just field more guns if they want something reduced to rubble. With each salvo playing a symphony of destruction for their foes, the Mechanos Organ Gun truly lives up to its namesake.

Top Bottom