Open Role Play Challenge: Barbarric Monty

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
Welcome to the second of my Open Role Play Challenge. The purpose of these games are to open new challenges for all of you players out there and get many different views and stories with a given set of rules that you may choose to follow, bend, or plain our break! You may post screenshots and game discriptions, a brief synopsis of how you played, or simply complain about the game :gripe:. The best thing is I have to do nothing except post the start as I do not plan to play it out! Some I have played before, some I simply created in world builder!

I am not the best person to manipulate saves, but this game is downloaded as a worldbuilder save, so you have the option of changing speeds or difficulty. You will get a view of your opponents but I am planning on telling you them anyway in this game.

The first game was a Genghis Khan open RPC with 18 leaders on a Pangea map! Truely epic and barbarric! I will have a summary thread for these games up in a bit so you can find the link to the game there (and it will be eventually linked in my signature). Figure these games will come out every few weeks, unless there is no interest in which case I will go discuss the matter with my geriatric dog!

Also expect me to pipe in comments as I see posts. While I am not interested in playing the game out, I am happy to try and entertain, unless of course you players are more entertaining!

Now, onto to Barbarric Monty. It's an off-shoot of Barbarric Pacal game with a twist!

You are everyone's favorite Idiot Savant, Montezuma of the Aztecs. He of the Powerful and Brutal Sacrifical Alter and owner of the controversial UU. This game will be difficult I think (starting off with a bang) so you may appreciate the UU more here than ever before.

Setup

Large Terra map, Tropical map. I chose to add ALOT of extra jungle, so watchout!
Raging Barbarrians are turned on.
Agressive AI
No tech trading

AND........

You are isolated in the New World of the Terra map.

HOWEVER,

I have added a few things in your favor

1) You get a bonus Scout!

2) You have means to defend yourself, if you get that far :devil:

3) I hand picked your rivals that are in the Old World

Alexander
Tokugawa
One of the Khans (Sorry, can't remember which)
Ragnar
saladin
Justinian
Charlemagne

If your also interested you can play as any leader you like once you open the worldbuilder save.

Now the RULES!

1) SURVIVE!

2) Any rules can be broken at anytime without any dishonor!

So once again the settings

And the all important start

As with any game, please post you comments/games/screenshots in spoliers. I guess technically this is an isolated start, so if you like post in steps like Rolo's LHC although this is not necessary.

Enjoy.

For some reason I could not get the worldbuilder file attached, it said invalid file. I attached the game start though and you can simply modify this as follows

1) Open the game

2) Zoom on the city real close

3) Enter worlbuilder and save it as a worldbuilder file.

4) Quit.

5) Double click on the newly saved worldbuilder file.

Sorry for any confusuion here. Anyone want to take my save and do it right go ahead, I have no problems being shown up :cry:

You have to save WB files as a zip to upload them here. You know, I have a guide on how to do all this ;).

Anyway, it's a bit large for my computer but otherwise it'd be interesting. This isn't one of those games where you can get away w/ only warriors to spawnbust. Great wall is probably #1 priority. Good thing the AIs are all warmongers and it will tend to go late!

I think what will happen with this map is that those who survive the early barbs will just run away in tech like nothing. With trades off and AGG AI there's nothing to keep them off of each other. It will take them forever to get astro so we can probably settle entire new world w/o seeing any heat. Also, with tech trades off, it's runaway tech world. A naval blockade or nukes are all the protection you'd need en route to space...it's not like those suckers are going to get culture.

Alternatively, fighters vs rifles is a pretty good warmonger plan, too.

You have to save WB files as a zip to upload them here. You know, I have a guide on how to do all this ;).

OK, could you point me to the guide! I follow most of your games but not the How-to's on computing (at least until I need them).

OK, I think I managed to save the zipped worldbuilder file. Just download it, and unzip the file. I will leave both up in case I screwed it up.

I'll give this a go, its like the LHC series, which I love, and am now trying to get a handle on at Emperor level.

I enjoy Marathon games, I find normal just goes too quick, tech is just a throw away thing, I mean 4 turn for a tech, doesn't relate to reality.

That's my opinion. No tech trading, as TMIT or 'Mr Who Dat' said, it'll be a run away game, with aggressive AI's, raging barbs, I fully expect to meet them and find they still haven't gotten the wheel as yet :lol:well not that bad.

Settle in place for river bonus. Build Great wall ASAP. Settle all those Great Spies your sure to get. Spam out Pyramids, and settle own lands, trundle off and met them at your leisure.

My own restrictions, in the spirit of the RPC's that mad's hosted so well.

1) No Cottages :vomit:
2) No Offensive troops to go off my Continental land mass, Islands included in Continent.
3) Must win in a space race victory.
4) Never adopt Emancipation, bad luck boy's your born into your jobs.

Check point 1,
Check point 1 re-dux :p
Check point 2
Check point 3
Check point 4 Part 1
Check point 4 part 2 :rolleyes:
Check point 4 part 3 :dubious:
Check point 4 part 4 The end of days :faint:

they'll certainly get wheel, it's on way to keshiks :)
edit: hmm or is it not?( i started doubting it now and i do not know if HbR requires wheel in any kind :eek:
still, mongols seem to start with it.

Hmm.. Yeah, thanks for the extra scout. Aggressive barbs and jungles will make him all the more useful :crazyeye:

WII scouts sometimes kill warriors when heavily fortified on a riverside forested hill!
sometimes not though...

Hey Mad, thanks God you're still active! Ever since I found them, I've followed all of your RPCs. They taught me how to make tech trading give you a lead. Ironically, no tech trading here, huh? Anyway, I've played a bit and would like to get a little feedback from the more experienced players.

Spoiler :

I changed the difficulty to Monarch because I still feel uncomfortable with Emperor.

But, onto the game.I settled in place and started researching Masonry to try to grab the Great Wall. The scouts began searching the continent and one of the huts gave me this:

Fortunately I could scout all the territory before the barbs appeared and sent the scouts back to my cities. After researching Masonry and starting to research Bronze, the barbs started to appear. I don't have any screenies from the founding of the second city, but turns out I got lucky when I settled Teotihuacan:

I had settled there to get the stone and the sheep and copper was there too! By the way, I intended to use the stone to make The Great Wall faster, but I didn't have the chance. At some point, the barbs started to rain on my cities and made me bend the rules for the first and hopefully the last time. An archer razed my second city and I reloaded to be able to whip another warrior in Tenochtitlan and save the city.
Meanwhile, I got the stupidest event ever. You know the one that grants the Leadership promo to a random unit? So, guess who got it:

My scout! WTF?!?

After a lot of chopping and whipping, I was finally able to complete it:

Then, I could finally work that stone and figured: why don't I start to:

Wonderspam!!!

I think that I might run a WE/SSE in a Bureau Capital along with cottages in the rest.

No Great General has been spawned yet, but I think the Ais must be on each other throats because with only two cities we are the number two in land:

So, the Pyramids have just been completed (still haven't switched to rep though) and this is what I think I will do with our little piece of land:

The southwest:

The south / southeast:

Northeast:

The west:

One thing I've noticed is that I have all the wonders so far.

I'm currently researching Pottery, and after that I think I'll go to Polytheism and Priesthood to try to grab the ToA and the Oracle.

I haven't settled the rest of the continent yet because I'm waiting for one or two of my Jags to become supermedics. The barb invasions unlocked the Heroic Epic, so one less thing to be worried about.

The demographics:

What do you think? Is my city placement ok? I think some of the spots could be a little different, but I really like having levees so I always try to settle near riivers. Should I settle the continent already and head south or I could keep the slow pace? Thank you.

BTW, I think you should erase the visibility of the original starting place on Worldbuilder.

Attachments

• Ignorant Teacher BC-1330.CivBeyondSwordSave
    198.2 KB · Views: 172
Barbaric Maya game was challenge since all early wonders were off limits forcing player to fight raging barbarians and trying to survive and expand at the same time. I enjoyed shadowing that game. Building great wall will break any challenge here and produce an runaway game especially with No tech trading in the cramped old world. I think this game is meant to be played without the great wall.

The rules are rather open ended here. There is nothing wrong with anyone self imposing "No Great Wall". For this game I thought it best to just give out a map and see what happens! It is sort of like the Mayan game, but Monty is no Pacal.

Ignorant teacher

Spoiler :

I noticed they stop once they settle their own cities. The Great Wall simply means you do not see them.

@ Ignorrant Teacher

Spoiler :

Nice job with the wonders!

I like you city placement although your gonna need some care for the economy. No tech trading and a bunch of warring morons means stronomy is a long way off. Expect alot of 1 commerce trade routes!

I will be following!

I've played the first 3000 years, and it's looking good, I managed to grab, The great wall, Stonehenge and Pyramids... I only went for the the wall... we have alot of landsmass with some very nice land. The other AIs will destroy earchother, so we are doing pretty good.

Playing emperor btw. Will post some screens soonish

Mad,

Spoiler :

There's a grassland floodplain with Rice on in in the BFC (if settle in place), did you add the floodplain on purpose?

I really don't remember :dunno:

I created the map over a month ago.

Top Bottom