Please join TeamCFC: Become a Superhero and help Cure Cancer!

Abaddon

Deity
:folding:

Ever wonder why CFC has that "smiley" ?

It is because there is a collective team of over 200 CFC members helping to fight Parkinson's, Cancer and Alzheimer's. It began back in 2005 I started a Folding@Home Team here at CFC. I'd followed a link from someones signature, and wanting to get as many people as involved as possible, thought of TeamCFC.

You have probably heard of the concept: A tiny program, running in the background, crunching numbers for medical research. Collectively we do what a zillion dollar computer could. Therefore diverting funds back where it should be spent- on the research, not the equipment. You do not need a powerful PC, The program carefully monitors how much processing power is available, it throttles back as other programs run.

:banana:Download the programme here:banana:

------------------------------------

To contribute to the statistics for TeamCFC, put the number 47958 in the team field​

------------------------------------

Folding@Home Website said:
Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals. Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Alzheimer's Disease, Cancer, Huntington's Disease, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Parkinson's Disease, Ribosome & antibiotics​

Join up today, and I will send you digital-kudos-cookies!​

Current Member list:

sahkuhnder
IglooDude
AlanH
fezzic181
Naskra
stickciv
Izipo
schmiddi
VRWCAgent
Furiey
taper
Gyathaar
plarq
azzaman333
WhiteEagle22
dojoboy
Masquerouge
Bamspeedy
HP&H
Srdjan_Njiric
Till
RFHolloway
LucyDuke
Spiraltra
mossmonster
Chrono285
WildWeazel
lost_civantares
Mulholland
Chukchi_Husky
Iamjohn
GeneralW
EdMcK515
Lord_all_Mighty
Godwynn
ParkCungHee
viktor
Globex
Ruff_Hi
Speedo
Blazer6
Ultima_Dragoon
Johsi
Kraznaya
Minute_Man
Tubby_Rower
Marsden
Nwahsnwahs018
satrina0
Taliesin
CognitiveDroid
JonnyB1
toh6wy
Abegweit
Quintillus
gahst7
stich0602
North_King
ironduck
Sophie_378
ggganz
Radioactive_Monkey
Nate128
King_Alexander
Louis_Rogerson
Chronic
BCLG100
Sidhe
Colonel_here
Jonathan
Morten_Larsen
scienide09
Gingerbread_Man
TinkerBell
elfangor801
Rik_Meleet
anonymous
Harald
EconomistBR
Simon_Eriksson
msappir
Captain_Carnage
Jeffrey
Murky
snuk
Gregory
Bigfoot3814
CivOtaku
BigPecs8
Bill3000
Dhighland
betazed
Stevenpfo
ThatOneGuy
YNCS
StarWorms
colony
PrinceScamp
matthew
James
Arcadian83
Radagaisus
Leeksoup
Syterion
Elephant
Jerh9e1k5
Goldfish
MjM
GoodGame
RayneJarre
Dr._Yoshi
Hel11_0und
Heretic_Cata
Kan_Sharuminar
Tycoon101
Admiral-Bell
SuperMitch
Pentium
machia
Johan_Bage
Mathilda
roy
CFC_Hakim
Red_Door
JERFit
BartholomaiCFC
Nylan
Fetus4188
Silent_Spectre
CCRunner
rhymes
Taeshala
Cuivienen
taillesskangaru
McManus
Perfection
Illusion13
Talkie_Toaster
TheLoneMan
Noldodan
Apostle
Adamb0mb
warmonger
Plexus!
TimBentley
G-Man_-_A_gift_from_the_IAF
Dionysius
Samuelson
Bootstoots
Alerum
NikNaks93
Brian
Miles_Teg
FiftyFiftyFiftyFifty
FranciscoHernan
Babbler
Massimamanno
Abaddon
Bratmon
Darksidr
Keith_Webb
cfcdot
Ischenous
AJubert
Lostciv_antares
Lord_Gay
Taillesskangaru_II
bed_head7
Stephen
Beorn-TF
Mathalamus
civ_king
kristophski
MrPopov
StriderCFC
nc-1701
Geresh
tylermenssen
azadi.1
Imperialmajesty
Sunhawk
marc
Guangxi2
Colone_here
Simon_Seddon
DvD_IT
Jokeslayer
Sui_Generis
Kai
civplayah
Dave
Nicholas_Stokes
subbss
koondrad
BlueMonkey
cegman
AdmiralBell
Jubnub
DvD-IT
sysyphusCanada
Alain_Boudreau
RedFusion
Truronian
BS_Prophet
Tboy
Zuffox
Administrator
Antsa
Newbie101
MrRats
Paul_Arneja
Enchanter
WillJ
Spooky_47
Guangxi
Aphex_Twin
Decco
Louis_Rogerson
Ummmmmmm
Praha
puglover
Cookiecrumbs

I love the smell of a new thread in the morning.

I love the smell of a new thread in the morning.

Smells like...victory.

Someday this war's gonna end...

How much internet bandwidth does the program use?

That depends on exactly which type of F@H client you run (cpu single, cpu SMP, gpu, PS3, etc.).

The download is usually small and the completed upload is normally from about a MB or so up to somewhere around 10MB but varies widely depending on which WU (Work Unit) type you draw.

And would I be able to see what the program's working on at the moment?

Yes, but exactly how depends again on the type of client.

You can set the program to be limited to 10mb WU's and less. COnsidering they take days to complete on the regular client, a day or so on the SMP and a few hours on the GPU client ( if the GPU is fast) the bandwidth is pretty minimal.

You can also view what its doing ( as long as you're running a tray client, not a console client), but if you bring up the graphical representation, its going to slow down a lot due to a lot of CPU/GPU resources going to making the pretty picture. Best way to monitor it is through FahMon, which is freely available. That also somewhat helps with the addiction element cus you wont be looking all the time to see how far its progressed.
They also post descriptions of what each project ( a set of WU's ) is about on the F@H website, so using FahMon you can find out which project the client is working on and then look it up on their site.

Once you join Team CFC, you can monitor your points on a number of sites, one being Kakao Stats ( which is what I use ) : http://kakaostats.com/t.php?filter=all&col=2&t=47958&search_text=

Most importantly though, have fun with this. Becoming dedicated to F@H is fun, if a bit expensive ( the urge to get better hardware becomes strong, prime example: me ) but you also learn how your hardware works and how to get the most out of it. Its also got the air of healthy competition, in that while you may not be the biggest contributor, you can always try for more and even if not, you're still contributing to a good program.

I fold with an old Pentium 4, so you don't have to have fancy hardware to contribute. Of course it does give you that extra excuse to go and splash out on some fancy hardware as you'll be using it for something more worthwhile than just playing games! I'm still saving though.

I don't fold with laptops anymore since they overheat really badly. Unfortunately, I also only use laptops nowadays :sad:

Yeah, laptops are not made to dissapate that much heat for so long. unfortunate, but thanks for your contributions when you did fold.

This thread attracting anyone new? Please speak up! ;)

And anyone interest in some very inexpensive 9600GSO video cards? :mischief:

And anyone interest in some very inexpensive 9600GSO video cards? :mischief:

If you will also build the rest of the computer too?

@ Ziggy - it throttles back if you put anything else on...

If you will also build the rest of the computer too?

If you want to buy the whole foldgardening beast (mobo, CPU, RAM, video cards, power supply, CD-ROM, and hard drive - gotta get your own OS, this one is site-licensed), let's talk. I'm in the middle of a problem with my server room cooling, so it is powered off at the moment anyway.

Can you ship to New zealand?

Can you ship to New zealand?

I don't see why not. But as a practical matter, you might consider getting a power supply locally, the one I have is (obviously) US-standard 110V. PM me if you're serious about this. :)

PSU's can usually take input from 100V to 230V. Better question is weight. For some stuff, like HDD's and CD drives, it may be best to purchase locally to save on shipping and import fees.

EDIT -- Well, the 9800's are in and running fine ( The boxes even state they're low-power ) but I cannot get them to Fold. I followed the guides, but one thing I havent done is the dummy plugs ( Dont have any 50-70ohm resistors on me) and was hoping that nvidia had fixed the whole issue. Now, interestingly enough, I cannot get one of the 9800's to run when I put a load on it through the vga input from my monitor. I cant even extend the desktop.
Oh, and RivaTuner now says there are no compatible drivers. Maybe I should try to fix that too.

Ill try to get my hands on some resistors tomorrow and build a pair of dummy plugs. For now though, im happy the damned things havent made my 260 burn itself.
EDIT2 -- after some further research, it looks like 9xxx and 2xx series cards dont fold well together. Thats..a shame considering I have nowhere else to stick these cards into.

I don't see why not. But as a practical matter, you might consider getting a power supply locally, the one I have is (obviously) US-standard 110V. PM me if you're serious about this. :)

PSU's can usually take input from 100V to 230V. Better question is weight. For some stuff, like HDD's and CD drives, it may be best to purchase locally to save on shipping and import fees.

Good point.

But anyway, I just went to UPS' site and the cost of shipping would be about $120 for the mobo/ram/cpu alone, which is two-thirds of what those three components are worth in the first place. So Abaddon, I wouldn't think you'd want them at a 50% markup (and I'm not going to cover that kind of shipping cost).

He aint shipping international anymore >.>
Yeah, the GX2 and most of the innards for the folding beast are mine. Should put out more ppd than the 4x9600GSO System did. Ill have a GX2 and pair of 9800GT's in it.

Now to buy a CD drive and fans.

He aint shipping international anymore >.>
Yeah, the GX2 and most of the innards for the folding beast are mine. Should put out more ppd than the 4x9600GSO System did. Ill have a GX2 and pair of 9800GT's in it.

Now to buy a CD drive and fans.

Yep, GB is getting the foldbeast. :goodjob: Hope the GX2 works better with your 9800GTs than it did with my 9600GSOs.

I'm now mulling over an i7 open-air system (that'll take at least three of the GSOs), with a mind to eventually putting it in a case and bringing it home (with only one of the GSOs at that point). A bit more expensive, but also usable for something besides folding in the long run. In the meantime, we'll see how quickly GB, Naskra, Izipo, AlanH, and schmiddi can overtake me. :)

Top Bottom