Ffh 2 does not work for me

I've created this thread to respond to a request for troubleshooting assistance originally posted in the Bug Thread. The original post:
Hello. I posted earlier in this thread, but didn't get any solution to my problem.

I have reinstalled Civ 4, complete, upgraded BTS to version 3.17 and the dowloaded FFH and the patch "a". When I start the game and load the mod, all I see is the regular BTS screen, with the text "Fall from Heaven 2" in the upper right corner. If I start a game, it's regular BTS.

- No I did not just install the mediapack
and
The directory is /.../beyond the sword/mods

What could be the problem and the solution?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Maybe it's because I have civ 4 complete?

I have windows vista.

Thankful for any advice

Your earlier posts were actually in the old version of the Bug Thread, much of which was lost in a database error. I've tracked down links to your previous posts on this topic, and am linking them here for reference (to save others the trouble of locating them):
Code:
• Dec 16, 2008, 10:14 AM [URL="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7555350#post7555350"]Cant load FFH 2 0.40[/URL]
• Dec 17, 2008, 12:09 PM [URL="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7559849#post7559849"]Anyone else had this problem?[/URL]
• Dec 18, 2008, 03:55 PM [URL="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7564568#post7564568"]problem not solved[/URL]
• Dec 19, 2008, 06:56 AM [URL="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7566370#post7566370"]Won't work either =([/URL]
• Dec 19, 2008, 08:35 AM [URL="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7566551#post7566551"]yes[/URL]

Just for the record, I don't have Vista or Civ4 Complete, but I'll try to help you sort this out. Anyone else with ideas or solutions is of course welcome to chime in.

-------------

samson82, I have some questions for you, to try to sort this out:

1) When you installed Civ, did you install it for all users, or only for the current user? Does the user you installed it under have Admin permissions? Do you have User Account Control turned on?

2) From the screenshot of your "Fall From Heaven 2" folder that you posted previously, I see that you appear to be using a localized version of Vista. Are you also using a localized version of Civ, or do you have the US version?

3) You said that you installed the patch A for FfH2. I was under the impression that Civ4 Complete users were unable to install that patch normally. Did you use a workaround to get it to install, and if so, what workaround did you use?

4) While installing FfH2 or the patch, were there any Windows popups asking you for information or informing you of problems? If so, please post a screenshot of those popups.

5) Please post a screenshot of your current "About This Build" information. Load into FfH2, then at the menu click on "ADVANCED", then on "ABOUT THIS BUILD", then take the screenshot.

6) Next, please post a screenshot of the "Opening Menu" options list. From the main menu click on "ADVANCED", then on "OPTIONS", then select the "Graphics" tab, and finally click on the "V" (down arrow) to the right of the currently selected option for "Opening Menu". This will open up the full list of available opening menu options. With this list open, take the screenshot.

7) Finally, use Windows to navigate to your "[path]\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2" folder. Right-click in the window, but not on any of the files in it, to open up a context menu for the folder. Mouse over "View >", and when the sub-menu appears select "Details". Then take a screenshot of the contents of the folder and post it here.

This information will hopefully help locate the source of the problem, or at least point in the right direction.

Thank you for helping me. Here is the answers:

1. There is only one user on the computer, so the user the game is installed on does have admin permissions. UAC is turned off.

2. I'm not sure if this is the US version of civ or something else. I live in Sweden though, and that's where I bought the game.

3. I have been having trouble with the patch before. This time I reinstalled Civ 4 and then there was no problem installing ffh2 + the patch. Did not use a workaround.

4. No popups during installation.

5,6 and 7. See attached files

Attachments

• build.jpg
    build.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 167
  • opening_menu.jpg
    opening_menu.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 98
  • folder.jpg
    folder.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 80
FfH2 doesn't work with patch 3.19 (yet) only with 3.17.

Thats one thing. So try to re-install the game:sad: and patch with 3.17 instead.

FfH2 doesn't work with patch 3.19 (yet) only with 3.17.

Thats one thing. So try to re-install the game:sad: and patch with 3.17 instead.

I tried this now and, sadly, it didn't work. The result is the same as before: regular BTS screen with "Fall from heaven 2" as a text in the upper right corner.

Something strange is certainly going on. If I understand correctly, attempting to launch FfH2 with 3.19 installed should have resulted in a crash before you reached the main menu. It's like Civ thinks it has loaded the mod but actually has not. I'll need to do some thinking about how that could happen...

This is typically what happens when instead of running the installer the player creates a "Fall from Heaven 2" folder in the mods directory and puts the install program in that directory. He ends up loading an empty mod.

It can be confusing for players because some download sites dont append the .exe on the end fo the downloaded file name so they dont know its and executable.

So it looks like you need to actually run the FfH installer.

This is typically what happens when instead of running the installer the player creates a "Fall from Heaven 2" folder in the mods directory and puts the install program in that directory. He ends up loading an empty mod.

It can be confusing for players because some download sites dont append the .exe on the end fo the downloaded file name so they dont know its and executable.

So it looks like you need to actually run the FfH installer.

Yes but I downloaded and run an exe-file, did not create any "Fall from Heaven 2"-folders.

I post some screenshots from my FFH2 directory

Attachments

• ffh2folder.jpg
    ffh2folder.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 141
  • assetsfolder.jpg
    assetsfolder.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 100
  • resourcefolder.jpg
    resourcefolder.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom