Discussion: Units

cfkane

Emperor
This thread will discuss units added to the game.

Fictionalization IV will add a slew of new units to the game, which come in several different aspects.

The units from NextWar are included. Featured in the game are Hero units that can be built like Wonders. Each civilization will also receive a unique Legendary Unit based on an archetype from that nation's culture, and a Superhero - a powerful late-game Hero unit. Each religion will have a special unit as well. Special wonders - "Alliances" - create a pact between your civ and one of several non-human races in the world, granting access to other special units. Barbarian units will also be added, some of the stronger ones granting bonuses to those who slay them.

Spoiler :
Civs

AMERICA
LU: Gunslinger
Superhero: Superman*

ARABIA
LU: Carpet Rider
Superhero: Jabbar*

ATLANTIS
UU: Polyreme
LU: Mersoldier
Superhero: Namor*

AZTEC
LU: Ahuizotl
Superhero: Quetzalcoatl*

CELTIA
LU: Fianna
Superhero: X-O Manowar*

CHINA
LU: Loong Dragon
Superhero: Li Xiaolong*

EGYPT
LU: Anubite
Superhero: Teth Adam*

ENGLAND
LU: Knight of the Round Table
Superhero: Marvelman*

FREEDO-MORONIKA
UU: Marxist
LU: Doombot
Superhero: Doomsman II*

FRANCE
LU: Conquérant des Nuages
Superhero: ?

GERMANY
LU: Übersoldat
Superhero: Heinrich I

GREECE
LU: Centaur
Superhero: Kratos

HYBOREA
UU: Cimmerian Warrior
LU: Black Dragon
Superhero: Red Sonja

INCA
LU: Supay
Superhero: Ajak*

INDIA
LU: Pandava
Superhero: Shaktiman*

JAPAN
LU: Mecha
Superhero: Goku*

MALI
LU: Loa
Superhero: Tarzan*

NATIVE AMERICA
LU: Thunderbird
Superhero: Apache Chief*

PERSIA
LU: Simurgh*

ROME
LU: Gladiator*
Superhero: Ultima*

RUSSIA
LU: SMERSH Agent*
Superhero: Omega Red*

SHAMBHALA
UU: Dob Dob
LU: Bodhisatva

SPAIN
LU: Campeador

SUMERIA
LU: Harimtu
Superhero: Gozer*

TRANSYLVANIA
UU: Nosferatu
LU: Frankenstein
Superhero: The Master*

UTOPIA
UU: Politis
LU: Syphograntus
Superhero: Samaritan

VIKINGS
LU: Valkyrie
Superhero: Thor*

ZULU
LU: Inkanyamba
Superhero: Storm*

Religions

JUDAISM
Golem

CHRISTIANITY
Knight Templar

ISLAM
Djinn

HINDUISM
Vimana

BUDDHISM
Shaolin Monk

TAOISM
Xian

CONFUCIANISM
Junzi

YUGGOTH
Shoggoth

WITCH
Broom Rider

MARTIAN
Grokker

Heroes
Achilles
Allan Quartermain
Anansi
Benkei
Cu Chullainn
D'Artangnan
Don Quixote
Enkidu
Fu Manchu
G8
Heracles
Horatio Hornblower
Ilya Muromets
Jack Bauer*
James Bond
John Henry
Merlin
Miles Gloriosus
Natty Bumppo
Odysseus
Popocatepetl
Robin Hood*
Roland
Sherlock Holmes
Siegfried
Sindbad
Son Wukong
The Nautilus
The Time Traveller
Utnapishtim

Alliance Units
Amazon
Barsoomian
Brobingnagian
Cyclops
Dwarves
Houyhnhms
Lilliputian
Thanagarian
Toy Soldier
Tralfamadorian

Barbarians
more to come

Other
more to come

*not yet implemented

Along the line of your pacts idea, there should be two mutually exclusive choices that give access to one of two unit. One is a Sentinel Squad that replaces modern tanks with perhaps a bonus against infantry, the other is a squad of mutant soldiers with access to several unique promotions representing superpowers. Perhaps they are unlocked by a single Mutation-related tech which then requires you to choose one or the other. Obviously, this is based on Marvel Comics and the X-men.

Have you considered adopting the Inquisitor I've seen in some Mods? I think it could come in handy, PARTICULARLY with the increased amount of Religions.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, have you considered cutting out one of the core Religions? I mean, ten works fine, but trimming it to eight or nine might help clean things up a bit.

Just an update...

I've added a new superhero unit to the mod. At the moment it's a generic national unit, but in future updates it will be expanded so every civ will have a unique Super-unit. And a big thanks to The Coyote for help with the team color model.

Do you have an Anubite? I can suggest you this reskin of FFH werewolf by me (model is by Rabbit, White):
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7907412&postcount=328

Thanks for the model!

Although it may be a while till I implement it. I still have to A) finalize all of the LUs and B) figure out what they'll all do before I start the hunt for artwork. Plus, it's going to be awhile before I can update the game, since I'm on vacation and away from my workspace right now.

You've already got several alliances inspired by Gulliver's Travel. How about Gulliver as a maritime hero that can be used to explore the sea and can be sacrificed in order to found an alliance?

Some ideas for the LUs' abilities:

Gunslinger: combat unit with Pinch promotion and hidden nationality
Mersoldier: Amphibious promotion, can travel over land and sea
Doombot: combat unit that increases happiness when deployed in a city
Conquérant des Nuages: early, invisible flying unit that can explore rival territory
Centaur: fast and strong cavallery unit with Blitz promotion
Pandava: powerful, early combat unit with a total maximum of 5
Loa: invisible explorer, ignores movement costs, can spread any religion by sacrifice
Thunderbird: works like an antique bomber
Gladiator: if he is in a city with a Colosseum you can sacrifice other units to give the Gladiator XP
SMERSH Agent: anti-spy unit, invisible to other spies, can see invisible units
Bodhisatva: can be sacrificed to increase culture, happiness and health
Campeador: can join a unit and give XP to it like a Great General
Nosferatu: Leadership, heals fully after killing another unit
Valkyrie: Resurrection, if another unit on the same tile would die, the Valkyrie dies instead

All good ideas, but Nosferatu is already Transylvania's UU, it replaces the explorer.

And I've been thinking about your older recommendation of the Dragenflieger as a German LU. The main reason I'm hesitant about that is because France's LU was already a steampunk flying machine, and having a second one might be a bit redundant.

Although this could be solved by changing France's LU. I've been thinking about a unit called the Amorican Gaul, an ancient melee unit with strong defensive capabilities (thanks to a specially brewed serum created by the chief druid)

I like the idea, but, honestly, I think it's rather strange to give Gauls to France while there is a Celtic civ. I've got some ideas for LUs for Germany and France:

FRANCE:
*Gargoyle/Gargouille: those stone creatures on e.g. Notre Dame
*Lutin: French version of a goblin
*Ogre: large, hideous humanoid

GERMANY:
*Doppelgänger: German shapeshifter
*Heinzelmännchen: friendly, hard-working house spirits
*Kobold or Wichtel: German version of a goblin
*Troll: big, ugly warriors and blacksmiths
*Übersoldier/Übersoldat: as depicted in Return to Castle Wolfenstein

On another topic, I'd suggest you change the LU of Native America or the Zulu because a Thunderbird and an Impundulu are practically the same thing. Here are some alternatives:

NATIVE AMERICA:
*Shaman
*Sasqach: native name for Bigfoot
*Trickster: e.g. Coyote, Raven,...
*Wendigo: evil, canniblistic ice dweller

ZULU:
*Abatwa: tiny humans riding ants
*Grootslang or Inkanyamba: both are giant snake
*Tikoloshe: evil, dwarf-like water spirit
*Panther Warrior: elite warrior of Wakanda

You know, the Legendary Units could easily be in an upcoming update, maybe not the next, but the one after that certainly. Most of them have already been finalized, and as for artwork, we could use placeholders for the time being. At the moment I just need to decide on units for Inca, Transylvania and Zulu. I'm tentatively thinking about the Inkanyamba for the Zulu, and Transylvania should be easy to work with. The only one I'm completely stumped on is the Incan unit.

For Transylvania, how about the creatures created by the Frankenstein familiy? For the name I suggest either Homunculus or Flesh Golem. Or how about simply giant bats?

The Incas regarded their emperors as the descendants of their supreme deity, the sun god Inti. So how about units called Son of the Sun (possibly a caster or he joins other units or he could be sacrificed to spread religion/create wonders/etc.)? Or how about Wak'as which is the Inca word for local deities? Another possibility would be the Supay or Zupay, a race of Incan demons that sometimes help the humans.

I have an idea for a new Hero unit. Might I recommend Atomic Robo, from the critically acclaimed comic book series of the same name? The character is a nuclear-powered robot built by Nicola Tesla in the 1920s, who has spent the last several decades working as an 'action scientist'- in other words, a mixture of a mercenary and a scientist. I think Robo would fit well into the setting for this mod.

Speaking of Atomic Robo, I also have an idea for the German LU: a Helsingard Robot. In the comic, Baron Heinrich von Helsingard is Robo's archenemy, a German scientist who, among other things, invented tanks over thirty years before World War I, attempted to become a god using a Vril organ (which is itself a reference to the 1871 novel The Coming Race), and after the death of his body, placed his brain into a robot. The unit in question is a reference to the finale of the first volume of the comic, where Robo and his team find an army of robots built in the late 1800s hidden in a base in Italy.

Just a suggestion.

Sounds like a really fun comic! Though I'm settling into a broader "Ubersoldat" for Germany, since the mad German scientist has shown up so much in so many sources, it might help if we all tied them together in an umbrella unit.

Helsingard could be worked in. Are there any images of the robot I could find online?

Helsingrad sounds great, I'll add him right now to the German pedia!

Is the Ubersoldat going to be a human à la Nazi ideology or a robot like in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Atomic Robo?

Oh and a quick question: Is it possible to call it Übersoldat or would that be a technical problem? (Yes, I know I'm picky when it comes to German words ;) )

Sounds like a really fun comic! Though I'm settling into a broader "Ubersoldat" for Germany, since the mad German scientist has shown up so much in so many sources, it might help if we all tied them together in an umbrella unit.

Helsingard could be worked in. Are there any images of the robot I could find online?

I can't find a picture of Helsingard himself, but I found one of his cyborgs. It's the one on the right. Robo himself is on the left.

Robo is definitely one of my favourite comic books of all time (coming just behind Star Wars Legacy and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). I think elements from the series will complement the mod's setting nicely.

That shouldn't be a problem. Umlauted U's can be incorporated into the game.

But make sure, that you use the html code for the signs, because they are not standard ASCII, so it would cause problems for the Mac users.

I've updated the list of Legendary Units. This should be the final list, so we can start getting them programmed and installed.

I decided to keep the Conquerant du Nuages and give Germany the übersoldat. Inca has the Supay, Transylvania gets Frankenstein(yes, I know Frankenstein is the name of the scientist and not the monster, but since the creature didn't have a name in the novel and every subsequent source has called the monster Frankenstein, I'm calling him Frankenstein) and the Zulu get the Inkanyamba. All should be National Units with no counterpart in the normal unit lineup like other UUs

I'll worry about artwork later, so I'll just get cracking on what the units do. Here's what I have for the American LU: the Gunslinger

Combat: Gunpowder
Prereqs: Democracy, Rifling
Cost: 90
Moves: 1
Combat: 9
Number allowed: 7
Default AI: pillage
Free Promotions: Pinch, Authority (based on tsentom1's Crowd Control promotion)
Abilities: Hidden Nationality, Invisible, can see Invisible, 40% withdrawal chance
Other: Unique Names: John Reid, Lucky Luke, William Munny, The Man with No Name, Jonah Hex, Will Kane, Rooster Cogburn, Matt Dillon, Ben Cartwright, Rawhide Kid, Josey Wales, The Ringo Kid

If you want some more names for gunslingers, how about John Cooper and either Roy O'Bannon or Shanghai Kid? You could use legendary historical gunslingers like Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Calamity Jane and Roy Bean, too.

Hm, I've never created a unit before, but let's give it a try:

Name: Thunderbird
Civ: Native America
Combat: Air Unit
Prereqs: Hunting, Mystic
Cost: 40
Moves: 5
Strength: 6
Number allowed: 5
Free Promotions: --
Ability: Can destroy tile improvements and bomb city defenses (-10%/turn), Causes collateral damage, -50% vs. Naval Units
Unique Names: Wakjinya, Animikii, Binesi, Kw-Uhnx-Wa, Heyokha, The Rain Bird, Chaahk, Cocijo, Aktzin, Raven, Xolotl, Haikili

Everything alright?

Top Bottom