Gotm 100

Magic_gorter

Deity
Civ2 GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator
Game of the Month #100 (Jul. 2009)

We finally reached the milestone of 100 Game of the Month's. To celebrate this impressive number of GOTM's I made a special map. Because of the holidays I give a bit more time to play then normal.

The game settings
Civilization: Romans
Map: Special (large) map (100x100); 7 civs, round
Difficulty: Emperor
Barbarians: Roving Bands
Restarts: Off
Victory by conquest or spaceship are both allowed

Starting Techs:
~ None

Games will be due on Aug. 25th 2009.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach hem directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file).

Please sent the savegames to the new emailadres for the civ2 GOTM's.
The emailadress is civ2gotm@gmail.com

Attachments

• GOTM100.SAV
    145.5 KB · Views: 402
  • GOTM 100.png
    GOTM 100.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,433
Ooooh. I haven't played for a while (OK, I've only submitted once). I might have to give this one a go though considering it's the 100th GOTM!

AS.

Unfortunately I can't find my civ2 CD - I have the conflicts in civilization and fantastic worlds CDs but not the main one!! If I can find it, or find a copy in a shop somewhere then I'll participate, otherwise I'll have to pass :sad:

AS

If only it was that easy!

Unfortunately when I decided to install Linux I highlighted a lot of folders and pressed the delete key to make room. As you can probably tell one of these directories was the Civ2 directory!

I therefore can’t re-install the game. :cry:

But don’t worry! If I can’t find the CD this weekend, I may purchase a second hand copy from <the river that sells books>.

AS

These big maps really take a long time to play.
How long does a map this size typically take each of you to play?

I always play random, small map, diety and those games take about 12 hours.

Interesting question ... the answer depends on my goals (early conquest, GOTM score, just-for-fun, etc) more than the map size or playing level. A just-for-fun conquest probably takes me about 12 hours on a small map. A typical large map might take another 2 hours, just because my boats need a few more turns.

But if I am really serious about a game, I sometimes spend half an hour on the first move, deciding whether to use the size-one trick , etc. And if I build up a big civ with lots of trade routes, for a higher score, the last 20 turns can take an hour or more each.

I assume you don't play for landing. Map size probably doesn't matter much in that case ... I dunno ... I don't play for that very often.

These big maps really take a long time to play.
How long does a map this size typically take each of you to play?

I always play random, small map, diety and those games take about 12 hours.

Probably over 40 hours for a landing game. Even a conquest would be about 20 hours.

Thanks guys, ive been playing a long time on this GOTM 100 and getting a bit burned out. I can conquest but it will take much longer still. Im at 1952 now and been nuked already , FOR NO GOOD REASON!
:)
Apollo lets me see all and many many cities lay before me.
Nice map, you witty designer.
I may call it quits on this one. Its lost the mystery and struggle and kinda repetious and time consuming.
Im glad to see you guys sometimes take a long time playing as well.
Love the game still after all these years.
Do any of you, and is it possible, to play head to head over the internet, smoothly?
AZA

Yes, head-to-head is possible if both players have the Multiplayer Gold Edition (and one player knows how to start it up).

As far as I know, the fastest playing style for GOTMs is OCC (approx 10hrs per game? I have little experence with this). I guess there are some obscure variations, with no cities, etc, that might be as fast.

Second fastest is Early Conquest - my favorite - conquering with bands of crusaders before about 1000AD. If the AI gets musketeers and city walls, democracy, etc, you've missed your best chance, and have to expect a much longer game. I usually build at least 30 cities, and about 5 WoWs. Less building often allows faster games, if it works out.

What i have and play is Multiplayer Gold Edition. It would be fun to one day play someone a head to head game, perhaps blocking out a full day. If anyone wishes to, let me know.
OCC... i dont know what that means. ?
Im still amazed you guys can conquer the world w/ chariots and crusaders. The earlist i can do is using veteran spies to blast city walls and calvary and that is in the early 1900's. Ive read some of the elaborate howto posts but perhaps am to set in my ways. Once city walls are up it is usually a futile waste of units being thrown against them. Love those vet spies.
:)
Anyways... thanks for the advice, GOTM and the forum.
AZA

Top Bottom