NC XXX - Boudica

dalamb

Deity
I hope Single Malt doesn't mind me hijacking the Nobles' Club, but it seemed to me that the 30th installment just had to be:

Both Aggressive and Charismatic, she should be a very strong warmonger.
The Celtic UU, Gallic Warrior, is a swordsman who starts with Guerrilla I; you need Iron Working, but only copper (or iron) to build them. The UB, the Dun, is a wall that grants Guerrilla I to units built in the city -- but only Archery, Recon, and Gunpowder units qualify. It seemed to me her civilization's UU and UB would both work better on a Highlands map, which tends to have more hills. Standard size, Temperate. Mountains form ridgelines with normal peaks (both default), and lakes are tiny. Because there is less water than on some other map types, there are 7 opponents instead of 6.

I've played only a little on these maps and they seem to have the following characteristics:
  • The mountains and lakes make movement a little more difficult but defence might be a little easier.
  • There are no coastal squares, so no seafood.
  • Three seem to be some what fewer resources than on some other maps.
  • Edit:
    Spoiler observation by experienced players :
    There is a lot of land, which on higher levels means the AIs will expand a lot before you can beat them down.
And the starting position:

Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here, fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didnt, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strats don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series (and the one I learned from!), and all of you for playing.

The WB-save is attached (zipped, they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, I suggest checking out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC XXX Boudica". This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Prince, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Also, it should be noted that although this is a "pre-Monarch" oriented series, you are welcome to play it at levels above Prince. However, the AIs will NOT get their full set of bonus techs. The main difference is Archery, which the AI normally gets for free at Monarch and above. The main affects of this are in the AIs starting units (warriors instead of archers) and it also creates a tad "slower" AI, since they now have to tech Archery themselves.

And the WB save attached; it's a Monarch save to ensure the AIs get archery, but you can still choose your own difficulty level.

Attachments

• NC XXX Boudica.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 211
@TMIT: I've gotten into using Irfanview to crop big images -- I just wish they aligned at the top instead of the bottom of B's picture.

@cripp7: Oops -- I didn't think to actually read the cut-and-paste section. I've highlighted the leader-specific text so that if anybody copies me, they'll see that something needs to be changed.

I, too, will be waiting until I finish mad's Atlantis, but I hope that'll be tomorrow. In the meantime I'm waiting anxiously in case somebody finds a problem with the save file -- this is my first time following TMIT's instructions.

I'll take a break from my current Earth18 game and give this a go. I didn't have any trouble opening the file (I use WinRAR)

@TMIT: I've gotten into using Irfanview to crop big images -- I just wish they aligned at the top instead of the bottom of B's picture.

@cripp7: Oops -- I didn't think to actually read the cut-and-paste section. I've highlighted the leader-specific text so that if anybody copies me, they'll see that something needs to be changed.

I, too, will be waiting until I finish mad's Atlantis, but I hope that'll be tomorrow. In the meantime I'm waiting anxiously in case somebody finds a problem with the save file -- this is my first time following TMIT's instructions.

Everything seems ok except for begin/end unit lines, but to be fair, if people want to play this above monarch they can figure that out on their own ;).

Hi

Prince, Marathon, 1 AD

Spoiler :
Yikes techtonics a maptype I TOTALLY suck at but I am still giving it a go.

I stettled in place and after sobbing at the FOUR flippin mountain peaks in my bfc I started working on a scout while teching ag then mining and br.

Despite bootycall's celbrated big pair of traits being more suited for warmongering, to this point it just been peaceful expansion. I didnt get the 12 cities by 1 ad which seems to be the standard for doing it right according to all the good players. I did manage to get 9 with one more settler on the way to a spot though so I was close. (ok not REALLY since 2 of the 9 were barbie cities but still humor me :p)

Here is my empire at this point:

The demos:

Not falling behind yet but give me time it still early hehe :p

Tech sitch:

Ahead of some but behind others and cant catch up through trading since NObody willing to trade what they have grrr.

Not sure what next move will be. My borders are running into but sillyman and zara BOTH of whom are civs I DONT want to be fighting after they get gunpowder.

I will probably go after silly first cuz he the weakest and then zara. I am working on hbr now so I can get ellies going so am hopping they will help me keep fighting even if SIllya nd zara get longbows by time I go after em.

Pacal seems like he gonna be a major pain at some point especially if he becomes BFF with hanni and nappy since they share religions and he can use em as attack doggies. But hopefully once I really have to deal with them I will be big enuff to handle em.

So anyways thats my game at this point. Im not killed off yet so wish me luck :)
Kaytie

Everything seems ok except for begin/end unit lines, but to be fair, if people want to play this above monarch they can figure that out on their own ;).
Gee, I thought I did that right:
Simple Way:

- Use find and replace. Find "beginunit" and replace it with a blank. Do the same for "endunit". Done. All units will now spawn based on the techs assigned to the civ and the difficulty the player chooses.

Slightly More Complex:

- Use find to see each "beginunit". Remove the ones for the AI, but not the human. This keeps the human's warrior or scout unit from spawning in random places each time the scenario is played. Other than that, it's the same as above.
I replaced the words "beginunit" and "endunit" with blanks -- I thought! what did I do wrong?

I'm guessing this is standard map size, right?

Yes, standard, with one extra AI to make up slightly for the extra space the AIs will have to grow given the very limited number of water tiles.

I like how you set high sea level on an almost 100% land script :lol:.

Jeez, after looking at KaytieKat's effort I don't think I'm doing so well in the early game. She's even on Monarch!!

I know I'm way off on power, my production city is now just kicking into gear and will be spamming Gallic Warriors to try and get back on top.

Anyway, here's my effort to 1AD

Spoiler :

I balked at the mountains nearby so gambled and moved to the west before settling, this seemed to work out quite well.

Agriculture, Mining, Bronze Working, Masonry, The Wheel, Pottery, Archery, Mathematics, Meditation, Priesthood, Monarchy, Iron Working, Currency, Calendar, Code of Laws, Feudalism.

I was able to get Stonehenge in my capital pretty easily so went for it. Then the Pyramids were built in Vienne. The latter might have taken a little longer than necessary but once complete I switched to Representation which solved a real problem I was having with unhappyness. In that respect I'm quite pleased I got it.

My less than impressive 'empire'...

@KaytieKat, I'd be interested to know how you can expand while keeping costs down?

Cheers, LPR.

Jeez, after looking at KaytieKat's effort I don't think I'm doing so well in the early game. She's even on Monarch!!

I know I'm way off on power, my production city is now just kicking into gear and will be spamming Gallic Warriors to try and get back on top.

Anyway, here's my effort to 1AD

Spoiler :

I balked at the mountains nearby so gambled and moved to the west before settling, this seemed to work out quite well.

Agriculture, Mining, Bronze Working, Masonry, The Wheel, Pottery, Archery, Mathematics, Meditation, Priesthood, Monarchy, Iron Working, Currency, Calendar, Code of Laws, Feudalism.

I was able to get Stonehenge in my capital pretty easily so went for it. Then the Pyramids were built in Vienne. The latter might have taken a little longer than necessary but once complete I switched to Representation which solved a real problem I was having with unhappyness. In that respect I'm quite pleased I got it.

My less than impressive 'empire'...

@KaytieKat, I'd be interested to know how you can expand while keeping costs down?

Cheers, LPR.

funny thing, i settled in the exact same place. will post soon.

This map is...terrible to do on high difficulties. Just terrible. I quit this at immortal in frustration. Maybe deity players could do OK on this at immortal, but I'm not willing to slog this kind of thing out. I'll put the reason in spoilers.

Spoiler :

It looked good at first. Then I explored. Despite an extra AI, all the water in the world turned into land means that the AI settles it all.

I declared on and wrecked Qin down to 4 cities and capped him. I declared on Zara, but had to stop after taking 1 city and aksum because sully went WHEOOHRN.

I picked up -4 in war demerits for declaring on "heathen friends across the world". Go hidden modifier and favorite civic rape! But that's not the issue.

Sully actually left war mode, so I declared on him. He took one of china's old barb conquests, I took 3 of his cities and then since I was medieval vs rifles, peace.

So what was the problem? Well, I was backwards. The AIs were nearing infantry and I didn't even have rifles or cannons yet. After fleecing multiple cities off of Zara and Sully...

They had as many cities as me. I had 18 cities. 18 cities. Eighteen. Hannibal had 19.

I'm not fond of mapscripts where I can expand until I touch AI borders, then find out that multiple nations have been given land as if they'd EACH completely obliterated somebody. High level AIs pay very little in maintenance and so handing them 20 cities for no effort isn't fun.

When you capture 12 cities, you're not supposed to be #4 in land/pop.

What it boils down to is too much land not enough AIs. On monarch and below the AI expands slowly and maintenance isn't a huge issue. On high levels 3 AIs getting 20 cities peacefully by the early ADs isn't fun.

If I'd remembered that the script gives WAY more land than usual on a map size, I'd have taken a very different approach to win this game.

I'll agree with TMIT that there is maybe too much land on this map. I'll post some details and screenshots tommorrow, but I'll briefly explain what I did in the spoiler (played up to 820 AD):

Monarch/Normal

Spoiler :

I decided to settle far and wide and eventually backfill some cities later. I managed to grab the elephants and settled some cities to the north as well. I lucked into popping MC from a hut, which I used (along with aesthetics) to bribe Zara and Suleiman to DOW Qin. I've refused to pick a religion (other than briefly converting to Hinduism because Zara asked me to), which has allowed me to remain pleased with Suleiman and Friendly with Zara. So, basically the only guy that I need to worry from is Qin and he's got his hands full. I used the Great Artist that I got from Music to culture bomb a good chunk of land NW. In my game, the entire world is pretty much at war. I've managed to stay out of the conflict so far.

These types of maps can be a lot of fun with the Small size. Even with more AIs that much land is kind of boring.

Hi

Prince, Marathon 1000 AD

Spoiler :
Well game went from peaceful expansion to all war all the time.

I settled another city and took 2 more outskirt barbie cities. Then Hindu gets put in one of my cities and hanni shows up demanding I convert. Hanni is in WHEOOH mode so I agree like a big weenie just cuz I figure maybe it will keep him off my back for a few more turns figuring I will just switch back to no religion in 5 turns.

Then all you know what breaks loose. Hanni dow's zara and I guess he had a TON of money for bribes cuz Nappy dow zara, silly dow's zara, and Qui dow's zara.

Now it looked like there was a bandwagon that needed jumping on so:

I take a cpl of zara's cities. Meanwhile as soon as possible silly and qui go for peace and soon after nappy does too.

Then it zara turn to bribe cuz Silly dows on me. And then Qui dow's on me. True I took the hit by going hindu but what REALLY annoying is that I ALSO took a hit for "you declared war on our friend" BUT they werere at war with when I DOW'ed him too GRRRRRR.

The good thing is neither silly nor qui have metals it seems since silly is just bringing in chariots and qui has nothing.

Zara is teching toward macinery but I am too and he going slower than me and he doesnt have CS and I do. So I hold off sillys lil chariot stacks with a cpl of ellies and since qui isnt even sending stuff I dont worry too much and keep hitting zara and taking his cities.

Then as I am marching towards one of Zara's cities the lil dweeb has Maces!!!!! Seems that lil jerk Pacal been in a giving mood since he gave Zara Machinery AND CS grrr.

I call for peace so I can a) trade machinery from pacal too and then regroup my guys so I can upgrade a few into maces.

During all this I managed to get Qui and silly to agree to peace. So they are off my back also. Once I get some guys upgraded and 10 turns have passed I redeclare on Zara and Zara PROMPTLY bribed Silly and Qui do DoW on me again. I am like grrr you dillholes you BOTH dow'ed on Zara BEFORE I ever did back in the beginning that started all this.

But to show Zara not the ONLY one who can play that. I go to my hindu buddies and Bribe Nappy to dow on silly and Hanni to dow on Zara.

That turned out to be a mistake. Zara doesnt have too many cities left. Most of his cities rinky dink cities in the boonies. But he had ONE city I REALLY wanted--a city with silver but he also still had a couple smack dab in middle of my empire that were cutting off some of my cities so I took those out first. While I was doing that Hanni took the silver city grrrr.

Meanwhile Somehow Qui who was so backwards ALL he can send is a cpl of rinky dink archer stacks NOW all of sudden comming in with cats and nunchuck guys. Somehow SOMEONE gave HIM machinery too. (yeah I am looking at YOU pacal grrr). But qui willing to go for peace so I take it. I get silly to go for peace too and now I am just trying to take out a cpl of more of zara's cities and maybe even wipe him out completely.

The bad thing about all this is my economy is tanking BIGTIME and Pacal who hasnt been in ANY war is starting to run away with things.

Here is my empire at this point:

The demos:

The tech sitch:

Things are starting to get DIRE even qui ahead of me now

The diplo sitch:

Now the funny thing about the dipl sitch is At FIRST when I saw how things turned out--a hindu block of Pacal, Hanni, and Nappy vs a Christian block of Zara, Qui and Silly I figured in long run I would be in christian block just cuz Zara and Qui tend to be easy to get along with and ALL of the hindu block Pacal and Nappy and Hanni can be real dillholes

Turns out all the dillholes like and all the nice civs HATE me :/

Part of it is from shared war and part of it is cuz I am TECHNICALLY hindu but as you can see:

Im a practicing hindu like bill clinton a practicing baptist. The only good thing about sooo many of my cities being christian instead of hindu is cuz Qui built the ap which makes it christian. So my cities can use the hammer boost.

What is REALLY frustrating bout all this is:

Pacal who is the ONLY civ to have not been at war with ANYbody is almost as big as me. I guess the lil jerk been reading the diplomacy strat guides cuz while all his "friends" been at war the dillhole been giving techs to Zara and Qui to drag out those wars and meanwhile he been spreading like a rash on amy winehouse and teching along peacefully without a care in the world.

The ONLY brightside to all this though is I MAY have shot at cheap diplo win hehe. If I spread christianity to ALL my cities and to a cpl of hannis and nappy and Pacal's cities then convert the vote SHOULD come down to me and qui and I SHOULD win. Maybe I am not 100% sure on that since figuring all that stuff out is math and I REFUSE to do math when I am SUPOSSED to be playing and having fun hehe :p

So anyways plan at this point TRY and finish off Zara ASAP and SOMEHOW get my economy fixed. ANd then either go after silly and qui next or try for cheap diplo AP win.

I am SERIOUSLY leaning toward try at diplo just cuz this map seems frickin HUGE but land is SOOO sucky going for like spaceship or cutlure is pretty much impossible so that mainly leaves the war options going but like I said this map is HUGE and that gonna take forever not to mention this map really does NOT help you make the kind of cities you need to support a big empire especially one that in war mode. Not being able to wrap around the map also a pain not to mention that this kind of map mean MOST of cities are on hills.

It like map forces war mode to be best option but even though it technically "best" option on this map it just means it isnt as hard as the othe rvitories but still pretty flippin HARD. So IF I can I WILL try for AP win to get out of this as fast as I can hehe. Wish me luck and have a safe and happy 4th everybody :)

Kaytie

Top Bottom